X

GSXR rear wheel conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR rear wheel conversion

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I need some current info on what it would take for me to get a wider gsxr rim into my kat swing. Been getting too much heat for such a small tire Would love to see a 200 in there...I've heard they use different bearings and things but my major question is about axle size...Are they the same or different? Just curious so I know if I have to clearance to slider holes and use different adjusters...Any and all help appreciated!!!

talk to neonjeffie, he has a extended swingarm with a busa rear wheel on a his pre98. also talk to kreylyn
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Cool..but I was intending to keep the stock width swing arm...is that possible???

Also might as well ask about the front too bc I can get a cheap set!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
        Cool..but I was intending to keep the stock width swing arm...is that possible???

Also might as well ask about the front too bc I can get a cheap set!!!
        I'm pretty sure a 5.5" won't fit, so a 6" (minimum width for a 190mm tire) is even less likely.

So no, not a direct bolt on swap.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
          I'm sure this has been discussed before but I need some current info on what it would take for me to get a wider gsxr rim into my kat swing. Been getting too much heat for such a small tire Would love to see a 200 in there...I've heard they use different bearings and things but my major question is about axle size...Are they the same or different? Just curious so I know if I have to clearance to slider holes and use different adjusters...Any and all help appreciated!!!

Since your swinger is alread stretched, you should really not have any issues at all putting any sized rim you want.

If your wanting to go 190 -200 tire size, I would highly recomend that you get a 6" rim. A 5.5 is a little small for those sizes (I have one right now I'm working on with 200 on a 5.5, and it definately is not the right profile you want).

The only 6" rims I've been able to find are straight spokes. I haven't done enough research to verify the axle sizes on them, but I'd guess they are probably the same axle size as most of the new GSXRs... around 28mm OD. Your swinger can be made to fit that (I just did it on a post Kat) by changing the slot size. The issue you will run into for that size axle, is the chain adjusters will need to be fully custom made (that is where I'm currently at, and in the process of having done for someone).

If you stick with 180/5.5" rims... you can pick up a 90-91 GSXR rim that will match your front rim, uses a 20mm axle, and would be a really simple process to fit in your bike. If you look, you can on occasion find a 600 (93ish I think) gsxr from the first 2 years they made them that will even have a 5 slot cush drive and allow you to use your sprocket carrier on.

To go 20mm axle size on your kat... widen the swingarm axle slots to 20.2mm wide. Use all the GSXR spacers, axle, brake caliper bracket. There are nice axle adjusters to fit that axle size from 2nd gen SVs, that look real nice and clean.

Since your not that far away... if you wanted to some help... let me know.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            (I have one right now I'm working on with 200 on a 5.5, and it definately is not the right profile you want).
            Wow no kidding. My bike had a 190mm rear tire on it when I bought it, it handled like a school bus and looked awful, I can't imagine what a 200 would look and ride like
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              Wow no kidding. My bike had a 190mm rear tire on it when I bought it, it handled like a school bus and looked awful, I can't imagine what a 200 would look and ride like
              I've already been instucted to remove the tire before shipping this setup back... we left the tire on just so I would have something to work with while doing the mod on it. All the parts are from Ebay I think, so they came with what was on it.

Should have the final parts for the custom chain adjusters done soon... and this will be a pretty slick setup I think.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I can offer you the info from my 4.5 thread, its a 89 GSXR wheel swap. The bearing info should help out.

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
                From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
                Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.
                Last edited by JokerZwild; 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM.
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I'm glad I'm old enough where peer preasure and redicule don't bother me for having a 150 tire. I'd rather have my skinny tire connected to my Ohlins shock, that I bought from CP, than have a worthless (to me) fat tire that does no good except please someone else.

OK, back to on topic.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    I'm glad I'm old enough where peer preasure and redicule don't bother me for having a 150 tire. I'd rather have my skinny tire connected to my Ohlins shock, that I bought from CP, than have a worthless (to me) fat tire that does no good except please someone else.

OK, back to on topic.
                    Joker
                    sigpic

Comment

Well I really don't care what other people think...Although I do agree, the little tire looks silly!!! Besides I am interested in drag racing and would def like a lil bigger contact patch...Straight lines are pretty easy to handle!!! Thanks Krey & Joker we'll be in touch!

Comment

Do what ya wanna do bro!
                        You want to stretch it out ? ....Have fun! I didnt do my mods for anyone else but me. So if they dont like it... then they will never ask to ride it! Its all good in my book. It cracks me up to hear Why are you gonna drag a 97hp bike? Because he's smart enough not to go out there with a 500hp bike to start with! Who says it can look just as cool tho?
                        Last edited by JokerZwild; 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM.
                        Joker
                        sigpic

Comment

Joker your exactly right!!! I really don't see why people expect to try to run curves and worry about "handling" when you're modifying your bike to run straight...Get all bent outta shape about it and act like it's the worst thing that ever happened bc they didn't do their own proper planning...Either way, I'm now looking to invest in a good scuff tire and looking for recommendations and opinions...Still on the kat wheel for now...but looking to get the gsxr conversion and possibly a bigger motor soon!!!

Comment

you NEED to pm neonjeffie. he lives here in town and has a 6" busa wheel with a 190 on his pre. He knows exactly what will and won't work to make it right.

Jeff's profile -->http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=8759
                            Last edited by teddy; 11-27-2009, 01:37 PM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                            X