X

Schoolboy error

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schoolboy error

Can I just say that it's good to see KR back up at last.

And I promise I won't swear at all (well, not on the board...).

Schoolboy error because today I learnt to only ever use a full-hex spanner on my Suz, as opposed to the multi-hex sockets. I succeeded in chewing up my rear caliper bolt, only to learn that it would never have happened if I had used a 6-sided socket cf. the "star" sided socket I had used. The bolt costs pence, but is dear in terms of huffing and puffing...

oh and the odd bit of swearing too....

The veterans will be rolling their eyes in impatience with me I know; but I hope this advice helps some-one.

FC

If you're talking about the aluminum bolts that hold the rear caliper on (Item #4 in this fiche file), I've chewed them up often enough that I keep spares on-hand here.

But then again, that would be an allen-key issue instead of a 12-point star vs. 6-point hex socket... So which bolt did you eat up?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hmm I have yet to chew up a bolt with a 12 point socket.
      (though I try not to use them in high torque situations)

Comment

Chewing bolts

Cyber,

It was pn 12 on the fiche, an 8 x 30 hardened steel (I think) bolt, holding the caliper to the cal mount.

Of a mind now to buy a whole new socket set, to avoid the frustration again.

Idea?

Comment

I'm kinda of lost here, but yeah if you were in fact using 12 point sockets, they suck large farm animals, get 6 point.

Comment

My guess is that the bolt still had loctite (thread locker) on it from the factory or whatever service department worked on it last (to prevent it from backing out under vibration) and that threadlocker was actually the reason for your issue.
            Loctite (and it's commercial equivilents), as would be applied to that bolt, needs a clean, fast "snapping" motion to break the hold -- simply building increasing pressure slowly won't do it and may well damage the tool and/or the bolt (as in your case).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Loctite (and it's commercial equivilents), as would be applied to that bolt, needs a clean, fast "snapping" motion to break the hold -- simply building increasing pressure slowly won't do it and may well damage the tool and/or the bolt (as in your case).
              or a hammer blow.. Along the axis of the screw.

Comment

Working...
              X