Hello all!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the motorcycle scene and just recently snapped up an '89 Katana 600 from a friend of a friend for $400. It's in rough shape but I plan to get her back on the road come next summer. I definitely have a lot of questions but I'll be poking around a few days first to get the lay of the land.

As she sits, she isn't running. I was told I would need a clutch cable, shift lever, and carb work to get it driving. Not drivable, but moving under it's own power. As I looked it over today, it's a slightly more dire situation. While I certainly could just toss those parts at it, this is something I would like to have for several years and would rather put the time in for up front. I don't know much about the bike's history, but I wish I did. Someone should be smacked. The gauge cluster is gone so I've got no idea what the mileage is (nor was I given an estimate) and all of the wiring to the peripherals has just been left hanging without a single label to point me in the right direction. The battery was probably left in as it sat because there's a small amount of acid residue in the battery box. Surface rust on many of the bolts and a bit on some of the outer facing surfaces of the frame. Nothing deep so some TLC and elbow grease can get it right off. I was excitedly told about the new tires it had on, but I haven't found them yet because the current ones have many cracks (fissures really) in the sidewall. Rounding out the list (for brevity) is the throttle grip just having been slid onto the handlebar, there's no cable and only half of the box that houses the Run/Kill switch.

She's a basket case, as they say. But she's my basket case.

Please pardon the disaster in the background. My only hope for keeping it indoors was a.. well stocked corner of the garage.
    Last edited by ddombrock513; 05-19-2014, 04:20 AM.

Welcome to KR. Good luck with the build.

So, just how good a friend was this that you got the bike from?

Comment

Welcome. You can get a manual in the wiki, sounds like you'll be needing it. Good luck!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Bikes are best received in pieces. It creates an intimate relationship with your ride!! Good luck, welcome to KR!
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

The friend I got it from has been one of my best friends for several years. The man he bought a pair from told him there were problems, but when I looked at it I only saw the potential. Once it got into my garage I started being a little more realistic about things. I'm still excited though, the more I read about them then the more I see that this is exactly what I wanted out of a bike. Decently aggressive styling, powerful without being outrageous, and fairly common in the parts department.

So the saying goes: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I've just got to decide which step that is!

Comment

Originally posted by ddombrock513 View Post
            Hey guys,

I'm new to the motorcycle scene and just recently snapped up an '89 Katana 600 from a friend of a friend for $400. It's in rough shape but I plan to get her back on the road come next summer. I definitely have a lot of questions but I'll be poking around a few days first to get the lay of the land.

As she sits, she isn't running. I was told I would need a clutch cable, shift lever, and carb work to get it driving. Not drivable, but moving under it's own power. As I looked it over today, it's a slightly more dire situation. While I certainly could just toss those parts at it, this is something I would like to have for several years and would rather put the time in for up front. I don't know much about the bike's history, but I wish I did. Someone should be smacked. The gauge cluster is gone so I've got no idea what the mileage is (nor was I given an estimate) and all of the wiring to the peripherals has just been left hanging without a single label to point me in the right direction. The battery was probably left in as it sat because there's a small amount of acid residue in the battery box. Surface rust on many of the bolts and a bit on some of the outer facing surfaces of the frame. Nothing deep so some TLC and elbow grease can get it right off. I was excitedly told about the new tires it had on, but I haven't found them yet because the current ones have many cracks (fissures really) in the sidewall. Rounding out the list (for brevity) is the throttle grip just having been slid onto the handlebar, there's no cable and only half of the box that houses the Run/Kill switch.

She's a basket case, as they say. But she's my basket case.

Please pardon the disaster in the background. My only hope for keeping it indoors was a.. well stocked corner of the garage.
            Have fun, I'm working on a 88' myself. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134329
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KR!
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to kr lots of knowledge here and always someone to help!

Comment

Originally posted by ddombrock513 View Post
                  the more I read about them then the more I see that this is exactly what I wanted out of a bike. Decently aggressive styling, powerful without being outrageous, and fairly common in the parts department.
                  Not to mention these bikes are basically bulletproof when maintained. When not maintained, all it takes is a lil attention to wake them up!
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                    Not to mention these bikes are basically bulletproof when maintained. When not maintained, all it takes is a lil attention to wake them up!
                    you're going to find that the 88-89 are a bit different. Carbs, forks, swingarm, wheels are only 3" in the rear. You can use 90-97 components just fine.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Good point, I have heard that the 88-89 was kinda a bastard... lol
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                      X