Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why do I have white deposits in my carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have white deposits in my carbs?

My pilot fuel jets clog up with some strange white deposit every ten miles. The tank has been POR'ed to seal it, I use ethanol treatment ((stabile marine).
    I took out the fuel filter and it was full of some white like substance. The base of it had chalk like deposits. So, why am I getting this? What should I do?

Could be additives in the fuel like ethanol or could be from moisture getting in the fuel.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Is it possible the POR15 is staring to strip off or dissolve somehow? If it didn't cure properly or wasn't mixed well enough it might be possible. Haven't heard ANYONE ever having an issue with it, but there's a first for everything...
      Maybe try dumping the contents of the tank and visually inspecting both the tank and the gas that was in it. Might be the gas you filled up with happened to somehow contain lots of crap. Then try filling up with fresh gas and seeing if the problem persists. Might be time for a carb clean too.
      The fuel stabilizers I've used tend to leave a greenish varnish as opposed to white gunk, but that could just be the stuff I use.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

++++1
        Shpielers reply is what I would do. I've never used por 15 before
        but dumping the tank and inspection of it to make sure all is well there. than give the carbs a clean. Here in Ontario Shell gas high test has no ethanol
        in it. I use the regular stuff most of the time and have no issues with it but I pull my carbs at the end of riding season and give them a good clean. Hope you get this resolved soon.

Comment

Looking into the tank, the por coating looks fine. On the petcock, I took it and put in a shot glass of berrymans- that easily dissolved the chalky deposits.
          I have used Stabil marine, dbl dose stabil marine, even dbl dosed stabil marine w/ marvil mystery oil.
          My next step will be to buy some 100 oct racing gas near my work site and try it. I know I don't need the octane but it is ethanol free.
          FWIW, on one tank it did this, the ethanol was only 5%, usually it is 10% ( I have a test kit to measure it).

Comment

Chalky deposits are usually aluminum oxide. You've had water in your fuel and it's been in your float bowls for a while.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Chalky deposits are usually aluminum oxide. You've had water in your fuel and it's been in your float bowls for a while.
              I was thinking the same thing, but my fuel filter (the one on the fuel petcock inside the tank) was coated, had it in the screen mesh material and the base.
              I don't think there is any aluminum in the fuel tank.

Comment

Your petcock is.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Your petcock is.
                  So. is the theory that water in the gas is causing corrosion on the petcock, which is clogging things up? Why then do the deposits easily dissolve with Berrymans (which I think is mostly toulene?).
                  I got it all back together, lacks power, as if it needs gas. I think the emulsion tubes might have crap in the little holes, I'll pull them out in a few weeks when I have time.
                  Nice day to take the connie to the Sparks rib fest.
                  Thanks for the input, guys!

Comment

If it were fuel additives, I've never had that, green or brown, yes but i get the special Cali fuel.....lol. there is more additives than actual fuel.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      If it were fuel additives, I've never had that, green or brown, yes but i get the special Cali fuel.....lol. there is more additives than actual fuel.
                      I also get cali fuel. All of our fuel in N. NV is sent via pipeline from the SF Bay area, a mixture of BP/Tosco/Chevron, top octane is 91 and once it is at the yard in Sparks, they blend in 10% ethanol to help make it even crappier.

Comment

as far as I know the white chalkey stuff is from the ethynol after the fuel evaporates.i had the same issue
                        YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

Originally posted by daddijuggalo View Post
                          as far as I know the white chalkey stuff is from the ethynol after the fuel evaporates.i had the same issue
                          How did you fix it?

Comment

I had a set of carbs which had been left outside for several years in NJ. They were all ate up with white, chalky residue; inside and out. A toothbrush wet with kerosene took care of the chalky stuff. The damage deeper in the metal was just something to work around. Some of the parts got pretty brittle and I even had to replace one of the carb bodies. I'm sure yours haven't gone that far. You've probably just got some water dissolved in all that Cali ethylene. I'd be curious if you've got white blobby stuff inside the carbs. Someone was describing that a while back as ethylene and water mixed.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The carbs themselves look good- not a spec of white or pitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X