X

Cyber -- HELP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber -- HELP

Got my V&H ignition advancer today and put it on and the bike won't start. Can someone tell me why?

Are all the wires snugly hooked together??

Comment

I put the stock one back on there and it started

I remember ready about someone having to cut a notch out of the back of the advancer. Does anyone know about this?

Comment

is this new or used???

Comment

used

im taking pics of the V&H and stock one together. So someone can tell me if I was sent the wrong one

Comment

Do you have any proof that it worked in the first place??.. becuase if you are wiring it up correctly which i am assuming you are that it might be shot.

Comment

its the rotter not the plate

Comment

this is the page i wrote
                motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

there should be no wires to mess with. the service manual will have a test for the pick-up. the sensor is too far away i imagine or the point on the advancer is REALLY worn down. ( shouldn't be as is doesn't actually touch the pick-up.)

tim

Comment

the stock one works witch tells me the the pickup works. The V&H isnt worn down the points are the same distance from the pickup on both of them. I wonder if the notch is in the wrong place if so where should it be?

Comment

Edits
                    It looks wrong to me -- the hex interior is aligned wrong.

Does it have an imprint of how many degrees advance it is (or a part number that you can use to cross-reference that)? A stock US Kat will have a OEM ignition point of 4 degrees before top dead center (BTDC); the advancer would normally take it another 5 degrees earlier (to 9 degrees BTDC).

The two obvious problems are usually seating issues or if you happen to have an European version of the Kat that someone imported (which actually has more advance already on it and shouldn't be stepped backwards). Are you sure the new one is snugged down correctly (i.e. - seating as desired)? Based on the hex shape and where it is in correlation to the fingers, it looks all wrong...

NOW IRRELEVANT:
                    The other possible issue is if your carbs are particularly lean (leaner than normal either due to some minor fuel system passage restrictions or just set particularly lean from the factory), the 5 degree earlier spark may not find sufficient fuel-air density to get a healthy detonation out of... what type of fuel mileage were you getting before this? If the number was above about 42 mpg, I'm betting it is probably on the lean side.

STILL RELEVANT:
                    Personally, I'd start by checking the advance amount on the V&H by checking the imprints and possibly ordering a replacement new (or swapping it out with V&H if they'll do that for you), plus double-checking my VIN to make sure the bike was homogulated for the USA rather than for some European country -- do the research first.

Good Luck!
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah the other one is wrong look at the notch that the crank pin fits in in relatsion to the large finger on the outter edge helllo it dont take a flocking rocket surgeon to figure this out. ok 5 degrees of advance would be barely noticeable in whee the slot was machined from the looks of this one its about 90degrees of advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
                        yeah the other one is wrong look at the notch that the crank pin fits in and look at the one on trinc link that one you got way diff

Thats what I was thinking. Do you think I can cut another notch in it at the right place and if so where sould it be? Being that I got it off of ebay and there nothing else I could do with it.

Thanks Cyber but look at the notch and what do you think?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Flank
                          Originally posted by Sin
                          yeah the other one is wrong look at the notch that the crank pin fits in and look at the one on trinc link that one you got way diff

Thats what I was thinking. Do you think I can cut another notch in it at the right place and if so where sould it be? Being that I got it off of ebay and there nothing else I could do with it.

Thanks

i wouldnt try to cut another notch in unless your a machinist wiht a mill and index head on a mill

Comment

V&H may still take it back. Their customer service is usually good. I don't think cutting it would be wise.

Give me the imprint info from the new one... let me do a bit of research (or do it yourself).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

All it has imprinted on it is the VHR and the timeing mark.
                              I found out last week that V&H isnt making any more V21236 witch is what I thought this was.

Cause I ordered it from two places and they both cancled my order and said that they cant get them anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X