No announcement yet.
X

New owner of a 1989 Kat 750....with some exhaust leaks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it is stepped (see crude photo above) and right now the narrow part is inside the clamp and the wider part presses up against the header flange, but this only adds 1 or 2 mm to the depth, which is why I think they are backwards. I checked the Haynes manual that is available on this sight and it doesn't mention the flanges at all, it simply says install is reverse of removal.

Comment

Got the same thing, checked some other sites, the wide side faces the clamp. Narrow end toward the head. Gasket part no 14181-18c00
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-02-2017, 02:05 AM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Awesome! Thanks, I will swap it around tomorrow and hopefully the leaks go away.

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok just saying this is totally up to you but this is how mine goes together always has and will do in the future and I've had it off and on quite a few times and same as other bikes I've had

I can see by the paint around the header they're not leaking

It has plenty of thread on the clamp screw left

If you put it in this way

There is no restraint of the split collar and there is not a lot of thread left over

There is no recess for the split collar to go in in mine (89 750) so I wouldn't think it would stay there for very long.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            is it leaking from the welded pipe? If the headers were bent that would cause leak issues as the seats will not sit flat. Another issue I had on another build, two slightly bent header tubes.

Good luck have a try it may work
            Last edited by Lachie; 08-02-2017, 04:30 AM.
            “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
            Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
            ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Just a couple of observations: the thread left over on the second option is not much of an issue as the end of the head pipe and the flange will both be recessed in the block. This recess also holds the flanges in there as they have no where to go once the clamps is on.

Edit: Do you mean you do not have a recess in the block itself where the header goes in? If so that is weird as I have an 89 750 as well.
              Last edited by Dhawk12; 08-02-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhawk12 View Post
                Just a couple of observations: the thread left over on the second option is not much of an issue as the end of the head pipe and the flange will both be recessed in the block..

probably not half a bolt length will be fine

Originally posted by Dhawk12 View Post
                Edit: Do you mean you do not have a recess in the block itself where the header goes in? If so that is weird as I have an 89 750 as well.
                Yes The header is recessed in the block as yours is

Like I said just saying if it works for you then fine
                “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
                Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
                ― Douglas Adams

Comment

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was surprised that it didn't have more clear answers. You installed the flanges wrong way initially. I believe this is a common mistake, since it is not obvious and the Haynes manual does not say which way it should be. When I got my bike it was installed the wrong way (with the narrow end inside the clamp and the flare flush to the cylinder head). To make it seal that way, the previous owner had put two crush gaskets in each exhaust port. Silly, but kinda worked. Turn them around and it will seal with a single gasket in each port.

Comment

Working...
                  X