X

gps charging port help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gps charging port help

I bought a plug at cycle world you hook it straight to your battery it hhas a inline fuse .heres my problem it charges the gps when i plug the cigarette adapter in but the minute I unplug it the fuse blows.It came with a 7.5 fuse I have tried upping it but it still blws everytime.any ideas?

I had the same issue. I switched to self resetting circuit breaker from NAPA. I used a 20A. was around $8. plugs into a regular blade fuse holder.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

A larger or resettable fuse is not the answer, find what is shorting the contacts when unplugging.

Comment

Thanks bro will try that tomorrow .hopefully that will fix it .Headed on a road trip sunday to go see my bro and sis in marieta.

Its hooked straight to the battery and there are no splices that could be shorting out something .there are no bare wires so I have no idea
        Last edited by daddyman0508; 06-28-2013, 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I have mine wired into a relay to only charge when the bike is on.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by daddyman0508 View Post
            Its hooked straight to the battery and there are no splices that could be shorting out something .there are no bare wires so I have no idea
            Then there is probably a short occurring in the plug or socket.

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            I have mine wired into a relay to only charge when the bike is on.
            I prefer the direct route so I can charge GPS / phone / camera whether bike is on / running / off with key removed.
            Last edited by TRPUT; 06-29-2013, 05:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Ronmold View Post
              A larger or resettable fuse is not the answer, find what is shorting the contacts when unplugging.
              it was the motion of plugging in the adapter. doesn't blow after plugged in.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

No I plug it it to the adapter it charges fine.unplug it and the fuse blows.is it better to wire into my ignition ?so it only runs when keys on.I went this route to simplify and not have to cut anything.but its not working anyways

Comment

Tried unplugging at the GPS, THEN removing the socket??

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                    Then there is probably a short occurring in the plug or socket.
                    This! Sounds like a dead short in the socket that happens when you pull the adaptor out, or the wires to the socket could be abraded allowing the wires to short to ground with the action of pulling the adaptor. Don't put another fuse in until you figure out the issue. A bigger fuse can turn the wire itself into a fuse, and that WILL make a mess. Me, I'd replace the socket.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I wired a power socket (none Cigarette lighter type)direct and never had any issues like this. I would guess its a socket issue causing it to short as you extract the plug. Power down the device plugged in first then remove should stop any power surges. If it still blows fuses then the socket or plug, even both isn't compatible.
                      Switch to a power only type socket if you haven't used one already. Best of luck
                      I'm outa here

Comment

If the unit is USB I would just go with something like this

[ame="http://compare.ebay.com/like/251149494574?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar"]waterproof DC 12V to 5V 3A 15W Step down Converter Regulator female usb for car on eBay![/ame]

Comment

Depending on the USB controller used - it could well be shunting both to +5v and ground at the same time upon disconnect. A lot of the cheaper chips expect to find themselves soldered to motherboards and do not appreciate being disconnected from power. They are cheap though!

Personally - I'd mount a small inverter attached via relay. It'll be physically bigger, but you'll get a decent 12v socket and a couple of USB outputs and not have to worry about blowing fuses or melting wires.

As long as it's not a cheap inverter of course

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                            Depending on the USB controller used - it could well be shunting both to +5v and ground at the same time upon disconnect. A lot of the cheaper chips expect to find themselves soldered to motherboards and do not appreciate being disconnected from power. They are cheap though!

Personally - I'd mount a small inverter attached via relay. It'll be physically bigger, but you'll get a decent 12v socket and a couple of USB outputs and not have to worry about blowing fuses or melting wires.

As long as it's not a cheap inverter of course
                            Inverter? Why would you want AC on a motorcycle? They also use a ton of DC energy to convert to AC and have a huge heat loss.

Inverter - DC to AC

Full Wave Rectifier - AC to DC

Step Down Converter (also known as a step down Transformer) - Higher Voltage DC to Lower Voltage DC <- This is what you want.
                            Last edited by numus; 07-02-2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                              Inverter? Why would you want AC on a motorcycle? They also use a ton of DC energy to convert to AC and have a huge heat loss.
                              they do have their merits. I have a few small inverters I use on everything from my car to my boat to my skidoo to my bike.

when I had my printing company I used to go see clients all the time with my laptop, but laptop batteries don't last long and I was always ending up with a dead laptop by mid day.

solution: 75 amp inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter, then laptop plugged into inverter. I could easily charge my laptop while travelling from one client to the next.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X