X

Glasses or shield?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses or shield?

Do you guys ride with a full face with shield or glasses? Glasses-any suggestions? Shields-do people use seperate for night and day? Right now I use a full face with the shield it came with.

Thanks,
    Eyball

I use both, i have a clear shield and a pair of sunglasses to wear during the day. And a pair of yellow lensed glasses i wear at night. I am used to a half helmet, and subsequently, the wind in my face. Even when it is cold, i keep my shield cracked open slightly just to keep a little more air flow inside the helmet. Around here though, the bugs alone make you want to keep that shield closed as much as possible. June bugs, yellow jackets and hornets are enough reasons for me...you never realize the braking potential of your bike until you hit a hornet in the corner of face shield (open of course), and it crawls and stings inside your helmet. It totally sucks. I would prefer to tote a butt-whooping than get stung by an animal in your helmet and you can't do anything about it immediately. ARGH! That is why i ride both - to keep the airflow going and to keep the bugs and wind out of my eyes! I might be wrong for this but it's what i do and what i prefer...

just my $0.02 given freely
    Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!

Comment

do what works for u. A lot of times u can either remove your shield and wear glasses, or just wear glasses underneath yur shield and just take them off in the evening instead of changing to a tinted shield. they make plenty of slim glasses that will fit underneath helmets.

Comment

yup that's what i got! wire frames fit tight to the face and don't bugger up the inside of your helmet!
        Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!

Comment

Thats what I was thinking of doing. Getting a nice set of oakley wires and wear them either under the screen or take the screen off. I think around town it would be nice with the screen off to get the air through, especialy in hot and humid conditions. I also have no where on my bike to store a shield. I like the clear sheild but i need something for the sun. I think the tinted shields make the helmet look sweet though!

Thanks for the input

Comment

I use a tinted visor. Wearing glasses for more than 10 or 15 minutes starts to hurt my face.

There are a few helmet companies that have those "transitions" type visors. That'd be the ultimiate way to go.

Long Live the D

Comment

i use my yellow lens day or night .. i also have a clear and dark tint .. but the yellow is my favorite .. having watched numerous rocks bounce off my shield .. i would never go without .. i may crack it now and then to the first notch .. but never for long
              so many roads so little time

Comment

I wear my sun glasses under my shield, just open it up in town.
                Some days your the bug.....Some days your the windshield.

Comment

Or you guys could go buy one of these helmets...

HJC FS-10:

Scorpion EXO 1000:

Comment

In the past 5 years of riding...I've only ever seen ONE person riding a sportbike with a half-helmet......ya, he didn't look out of place whatsoever.

1.Full face helmet. ALWAYS
                    2.Leave the shield ON.
                    3.Use a clear/tinted visor with clear/tinted glasses underneath.
                    4.Crack the visor 1 notch in open position to allow for proper airflow.

*NOTE - if you buy a cheap helmet, expect crappy airflow. Buy something that has vents in the front AND back.

Comment

I have a auto darken shield with my scorpion, in the sun it tints and at night its clear.

Comment

I have a tinted visor, but I also wear glasses (as unless im on the highway, or cruising at speed, I have the visor up).
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I wear a pair of sunglasses under my full-face helmet and clear visor. If I get stuck in traffic, I can always flip the visor open for better ventilation and not be bothered by sun glare. As soon as I'm moving again, the visor gets flipped closed. At night time, just remove sunglasses and you're set.

Comment

Katdaddy... how do you like that shield? I've got a scorpion and luv that helmet but I hate carrying two shields. I'm on the gixxer1000 now so its either carry my lunch and coffee or carry a shield... "Me Hungry"
                            "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

I have the chromophoto shield for my scorpion. Underneath it, I wear yellow tinted glasses, day or night. I didn't like the idea of carrying 2 visors, so I opted for the auto tint. It doesn't tint as much as I thought it would, but it is noticeable. I keeps the glare from the sun off enough. I like my set up now, because I never change it, day or night, same gear/same lens all the time, and it's just one less thing to worry about.

On a side note, we went on a ride a few weeks ago, and a friend of mine on a fizzer got stuck in the darkness with his dark tinted shield. On the way home, he had it up so he could see and took a rock (we think) right underneath his eye. Got about a 1 inch cut (not deep) and a black and blue eye. He now has a ChromoPhoto (or PhotoChromo, I don't remember) lens

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X