X

steering stabilizer for katanas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering stabilizer for katanas?

hey guys im wondering what you all use for a steering stabilizer?

also id like to know if you have to weld it to the frame or anything...

i figure i need one because my bike likes to get speed wobble at high speeds
    1989 katana 750

Im sure there would be a way to fit a universal fit style on a Kat, but Ive never known anyone actually need one on a Kat. The fork angle on a Kat isnt that radical like an RR bike is. If you are getting wobble I would probably check for cupping or balancing of the front.

Comment

Do a search for wooble and all your questions will be answered.

Comment

+1
        Treat the cause not the syptoms..

Unless you are getting wobble over 150mph..
        In that case....
        Well, I have nothing

Comment

If you are getting squirrelly in corners whose pavment isn't pristene, you are more than likely transferring the wobble yourself through your arms.
          Loosen up and allow the suspension to do its work. As your forks compress, your wheelbase is effectively shortened and thusly, you are effectively applying less countersteer. When your forks decompress, your wheelbase is effectively lengthened and causes you to apply more countersteer all with the same input at the bars.

If you are experiencing wobble at high speeds, you have other mechanical problems that need attention. Bad wheel bearings, cupped tire, worn steering bearings, warped wheel...long list of things that could be going on.

If you want a stabilizer just to look cool, get a screendoor closer and gut it.

Comment

there has only been 1 person to mount a damper that i know of. that was many years and on another board. he mounted it to the frame & cut away some of the plastic.

search the web you may find it.

tim

Comment

Hey frosti108 why do you need a stabilizer? or you just want one. There is no manufacture that makes on specific for the kat. Hyper pro has a universal that says you can adapted to a kat but why would you. there is no need you might have a balance or bent issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                If you want a stabilizer just to look cool, get a screendoor closer and gut it.
                I've thought of that..

Actually buying an old Gxxer one and gutting it..
                I'd gut it cause no way I want it getting in the way!!

My buddy's GF has an old Benneli..
                He asked:
                What is this big knob on the steering stem?
                Me: That is your steering sabilizer
                Him: what do I do with it?
                Me: disassemble it, clean it use lots of grease and reassemble!

Comment

yea i get speed wobble up above 140. but i still managed to hold 160 a few times

i know one of my fork seals needs replacing up front... would that do it?
                  1989 katana 750

Comment

If only one needs replacing, it cound very well do it. Imbalance in the fork legs could easily cause a wobble.

Also, use a GPS on one of those highspeed runs then tell us how fast you were going.

Comment

Originally posted by frosti108
                      i know one of my fork seals needs replacing up front... would that do it?
                      Yes, that would do it. You don't need a stabilizer -- you need your existing bike in better condition

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow you got 160......

Comment

i recommend replace that fork seal now, don't be lazy like me and then have to replace brake pads and more parts. seals are 20-25 bucks from a dealer

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                            wow you got 160......
                            Must be in KPH and not MPH. Only way a kat is going 160mph is off a cliff, and that aint a nice wat to treat a kat.

Comment

yea yea boohoo the speedo isnt correct. whatever. i go by the speedo so u can go ahead and calculate it yourself lol
                              1989 katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X