X

New Bike Results (05 ZX6R)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike Results (05 ZX6R)

So I've been riding for 3 seasons now and last year I sold my F4i due to me not riding it often and because I have a horrible tendency to simply get bored of whatever I have, whether it's a car or a bike. I started my career out here on katriders with my '89 600.

Anyway I set out and finally found a 2005 ZX-6R with ~7000 miles on it on craigslist. Went out to see it and ended up snagging it for $3900. Definitely a decent price considering it has lo-jack, frame sliders, spools, and a double bubble windscreen already put on. He also threw in 2 helmets and a jacket although I'm not planning to use them. There are a couple of rough spots on the upper fairing (by the headlight) but nothing really bad...definitely not noticeable from 3 feet away. Those spike screws definitely have to go. Anyway....PICS.

Next to my other baby (which it matches)

The thing is nice. Crazy nice. My bike history is as follows:
    89 Katana 600 -> 88 Katana 600 -> 83 Suzuki GS450 -> 01 CBR600F4i -> This
    It is CRAZY fast. Definitely demands respect. I thought the F4i was fast and considering it has the same motor as the RR I thought acceleration like this (zx6r) was only attainable from higher cc-age but boy was I wrong. It is FAST and the turn-in is knife sharp, the suspension handles beautifully when the bike is dug in and leaned over.

I do have a couple of concerns. I have experience wrenching (carbs on my old kat, chain/sprockets, forks, etc.) but I suppose I'm looking for fellow owners to chime in.
    1) The valvetrain on this bike is a bit noisy. I was always used to the whine and slight rattles on my F4i but are kawi motors known to have a bit of click-clack rattle to them? It's not knock or det and the bike runs great but I don't know, it's not automotive inline-four smooth.
    2) The transmission whines as you go through the gears...I am assuming this is normal for these trannies? It does not pop out of any gear under acceleration, although I have not gotten into it too much as of yet. If I shift from 1st to 2nd it doesn't skip teeth (no grind) but it definitely is a bigger clunk than say 3rd to 4th...is this normal?

So far I have un-lowered the bike with the stock links and have begun to source a new kickstand as the one on the bike was shortened.

Regards,
    -Duo Maxwell
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

1.) You bought a Kawasaki, prepare for noise. It will rattle, clunk, and click like nobody's business. I rec. replacing the garbage ACCT with a manual unit from APE or the Kawi kit unit if you want to spend the $.

2.) No, it should not whin. Kawi trannys have a lot of slop in the drivetrain, the first gear clunk is damn hard, but no it should not clunk into 2nd, should be a positive shift.

Like I said, the 636 is a real race rep bike. Demands respect, especially once you start modding. Mine likes to try to pull the wheel on a hard shift into 3rd with 3/4 throttle.
    Last edited by scottynoface; 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Trader!!! JK...nice bike.
      2006 Katana 600

Comment

Nice bike man! Sorry to tell you that if you remove those spikes you probably will lose about 10HP.
        Last edited by chito2004lakers; 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          1.) You bought a Kawasaki, prepare for noise. It will rattle, clunk, and click like nobody's business. I rec. replacing the garbage ACCT with a manual unit from APE or the Kawi kit unit if you want to spend the $.

2.) No, it should not whin. Kawi trannys have a lot of slop in the drivetrain, the first gear clunk is damn hard, but no it should not clunk into 2nd, should be a positive shift.

Like I said, the 636 is a real race rep bike. Demands respect, especially once you start modding. Mine likes to try to pull the wheel on a hard shift into 3rd with 3/4 throttle.
          I tightened up the OEM CCT and it got rid of a lot of the unfamiliar noise. The tranny whine is normal I am fairly certain, it just sounds like straight cut gears which, looking at pictures, are what this transmission has.

After tightening the chain a bit the 1-2 clunk softened up quite a bit as well...although I forgot to tighten the lock not on the chain adjuster and the chain fell off during the test ride. Thank god I was going 15mph and thank god it didnt break anything/jam up the rear wheel...although the scratches on the inside of my swingarm sure do **** me off .

Oh, and in the other forum you mentioned it is a custom paint job? It's definitely an OEM color.

Regards,
          -Duo
          Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
          X