X

Tools to bring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools to bring.

Im going to be making a 3 hour trip, i know its not that far, but want to know what tools i should bring.
    2002 GSX600F

I carry small open / closed end wrenches 8mm through 14mm. 1/4" small mm sockets and 3/8" for larger sizes to fit all on bike. Appropriate allen sockets. Needle nose pliers short handle phillips and flat drivers, longer phillips. Small adjustable wrench. Zip ties. Wire cutters. Electric tape. Duct tape. Tire plug kit and 12v plug in compressor.
    I carry all of this all the time. I use soft saddlebags. All this plus chain lube and fuel treatment kept in one saddlebag. Luckily other than the chemicals carried and used on longer rides the other tools have only come in play to help others that have had problems. I did have to use a ziptie when my 12v adaptor kept coming loose.
    Other bag has rain gear, long sleeve fleece and balaclava/ neck gator. Trunk has spare gloves ( I carry mesh, thin winter, electric and silk liners) hat, sunglasses, state road atlas, box of ear plugs. I try to keep it empty enough to hold my helmet at lunch stops.
    I also have a tank bag that carries go pro stuff, spare camera batteries, tire pressure guage, flashlight, first aid kit and a drinking bladder that I velcro the bite valve to the top of the bag to grab easily to drink, and paperwork in a ziplock bag.
    I know you just asked for tools, sorry if I went too long.

Comment

^^ Haha quite a kit. Ready for anything. I like it.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
        ^^ Haha quite a kit. Ready for anything. I like it.
        I have found more often than not that the following is true
        " if you have it you won't need it, if you don't have it, you will".
        The person that gives you a hard time for carrying so much will never do it again when you have what they need to get home as its getting dark and cold.
        Last edited by cool4kats; 04-19-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

+1. But you make a good point about it being handy when other people break down, because, well..... some of us just take better care of our things than other. lol
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Wow, a bit paranoid? Haha JK. I have a basic tool kit plus Allen wrenches and tire patches and a small pump. Check the weather reports just before you leave and lube the chain.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Im bad. I carry nothing. Not that anybody else doesnt take care of their bikes or anything because thats not the case at all but I keep a close eye on the girl and keep her tip top. If theres something wrong I fix it immediately type shit. I always take tools with me on long trips though. I personally dont like the look of all the storage applications. I am however thinking about fabbing up a box to hang between the battery box and airbox. (my battery box has been moved back a number of inches to accommodate the busa shock upgrade).
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I can see loading up on stuff for long trips. Not for a 3hr one.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Here in Colorado I have been in 90+ degree heat near Denver and snowed on up in the mountains on the same day. I have also ridden through snow in Denver and had it great in the high country.
                  I had a friend break a key off in a saddlebag and got home using some of my spare gear.

Average ride for me is 250 to 350 miles.
                  Last edited by cool4kats; 04-19-2015, 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There you go, topography has a lot do do with what you carry.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

indeed. Just flat land and trees here in michigan. And if you go far enough in most any direction, water. lol
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

for a 3 hour trip the original toolset under the seat is enough. If something goes wrong it is much simpler to get the bike towed back home or to make it home by public transport and come back with a truck. If you have doubts about something on your bike that needs to be fixed , fix it right now , because it is probably just a matter of time before shit hits the fan. Having a well serviced bike with all parts working as it is supposed to trumps any tool you bring with you

last year I went on a 5000km roundtrip from Norway ( the artctics LOL ) to almost down to the French riviera. I brought nothing but the original toolset, extra clutchwire, extra throttle wire, spare clutch and brake lever, 1 liter of oil, chain lube. None of the items were needed except for the simple tools in the original toolset for tightening the chain and the chain lube. The people I rode with , most of them had an issue of some sort with their bike ( overheat, tire pressure , no start etc ) , these were all newer 2010+ bikes.
                        Last edited by mammut89; 04-20-2015, 06:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Your cell phone and the number of someone that's got a truck

But seriously, 3 hours isn't really a long ride....
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                          X