• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Mods - The Horse Power Squeeze

I want more power but don't want to blow it up too soon
    Any parts, ideas, comments ?
    Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Well , you can do an exhaust and jey kit easy enough , and maybe cam swap without straining anything . Digging into the engine and doing things to say up the compression (shaving the head/deck , "pop-up" pistons ,thinner gaskets) is , I think , when things COULD tend to get a little iffy ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Already did the Jet Kit and Airbox and the pipe is a V&H SS2R, I would like to find out what cams and porting combo's worked best.
      My old GS1100EX has the falicon crank and the weisco kit, bottom end studs and stronger barrel studs, there is more to it but I want to get the Kat a little stronger.
      Got beat by a yamaha

Comment

A few questions for you docbarlow;

How does the V&H exhaust sound? Loud? Any Low end bass?

Do you have to take the exhaust off to change the oil filter?

Any modifications to the bike needed to make the system fit?
        I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

the cams are actually pretty damn good stock. I inquired about this from an engine rebuilder. apperantly the kat cams are better than the gixxers. you would have to dish out good money for aftermarket cams to notice any real gain.

question doc.....what kind of seat is that? I like it.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

OK - in order of questions,
            The pipes are pretty quiet until you hit 6k or so, then they open up pretty well, some bass at idle but are tuned for mid to high rpm
            They mount to the stock locations, but might interfere with the center stand (mine was missing)
            The oil filter is a bitch with the pipes on, but can be done with a little loosening. - Power is great with the pipes

The seat is an old Corbin Gunfighter - not the newer Gunfighter + Lady
            It fits my 6'2" frame well and is great for long rides (no numb butt)
            Corbin still makes these but it's custom order only.
            They will be redoing mine in spring to match the new paint

Comment

Lets start with cheap hp.

First step is better set of carbs and a set of pod filters. 36mm should be plenty big and I would never go over 38mm even though the later gixxers had 40's. Bandit 1200 36mm carbs work very well. Next a set of pod filters. The pod filters are going to bump the jetting way up. In the bandit carbs stock low and mid jet, 155-160 mains, and shim the needles .03". Two turns out on the a/f mix screw. This is assuming you have a decent aftermarket exhaust. Some people say to run 750 or 1100 gsxr cams. They are all the same, check the part numbers. As far as the heads go you can clean up the intakes and port match the manifolds.

So much for cheap hp. Next you are going to need either more compression or nitrous or both. If you go nitrous you can safely run a 20 shot on a stock motor, you can run a 40 shot but thats pushing it. The crank is one piece but the weak link is the connecting rods. And remember you will torch the motor if its not shot at WOT. You will want an aftermarket ignition with an ignition retard function tied into the nitrous swich too. I recommend a Dyna 2000 ignition. I have the same unit on my bike.

Before doing any of this make sure your motor has good compression. If you don't have optimal compression there is no point in modding it at all. Simply honing the cylinders and re-ringing can restore compression. Even honing to re-seat the old rings usually does the trick.

Comment

I considered nos but rejected it after speaking with some nos-experts.
                They all stated you've got to rebuild an older engine anyway if you want to use nos, or it will be a sudden death....
                I decided to go for a Holeshot bigbore stage 6 kit, carbs rejetted with pods and titanium race exhausts.
                I know it's a Bandit kit, but both engines are practically the same, so these guys should be able to tell you what's (im)possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                  They all stated you've got to rebuild an older engine anyway if you want to use nos, or it will be a sudden death....
                  I decided to go for a Holeshot bigbore stage 6 kit, carbs rejetted with pods and titanium race exhausts.
                  I know it's a Bandit kit, but both engines are practically the same, so these guys should be able to tell you what's (im)possible.

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ind...ge=Bandit_1200
                  The stock kat engine can handle n2o (nos is a brand name) but just not very much. The weak link is the stock connecting rods. The crank is one piece and strong. Without new rods 20 is fine, 40 is the max you should run if you don't want to toast the motor. Most people wouldn't install n2o for a measly 20hp so I suggest pod filters, exhaust, appropriate jetting and cleaning up the heads. Besides the rods the transmission and clutch basket don't like 160+ hp. A well tuned 1100 with the right bolt-ons should run 145hp at the rear wheel. Thats a good place to be considering 160 leads to catasrophic engine and transmission failure. If you want to go faster drop the 1100 in a gsxr 750 chassis and shed as much weight as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ind...ge=Bandit_1200
                    It's like any engine.. using nitrous will increase the chances that something interally will break, BUT if it's been maintained properly, it's usually fine.
                    Red 1988 600F

Comment

Working...
                    X