X

Riding 2 up - suspension and tire questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding 2 up - suspension and tire questions

My girlfriend is finally get comfortable on the back of the bike and she has been wanting to ride more. I am a pretty big guy 6'4'' about 260 and she is 5'11 and is decent size (not big not small). I have heard that the suspension is adjustable but I dont know how to do it or what I need to do. Also, should I leave the tire pressure the same?

what years is the bike? I know on the 98+ the rear shock is adjustable using a special key!

Comment

It is a 2001 I don't know about a special key though.

Comment

it's a tool in the katana's tool kit. you'll know it when you see it. you should add a few pounds of pressure to the rear tire.

Long Live the D

Comment

If you have the manual, they show you how to adjust the rear suspension. The special key should be in your repair kit under your seat.

Do a search, I know I've seen someone publish a site with a pdf file of the Katana repair manual.

Also, be careful when adjusting your suspension... only go one notch at a time and see how it handles at that setting with her on the back.

Good luck!

Comment

Where exactly do I look to put insert the key?

Comment

When you look under the bike you will see the rear shock. There will be a round part with slots in it. This is where the spanner wrench goes. You will hook the spanner wrench in and turn the adjustment clockwise to increase the rebound. There are numbers on there. 1-7 1 being the softest and 7 being the hardest setting. As for your tire pressure set it up to 38psi in the rear and front.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

On the pre 98s theres a dampener underneath the seat 1 thru 3 ,when riding two up the manual recommends putting it on #3,with tire pressure at 38 to 42 lbs....Ive left the setting alone since my wife now has her own bike.....Its a lot less gushy then the factory recommended settings....

Comment

Do you have the owner's manual for your motorcycle? If so, the explanation is in there in good detail.

The shock spanner tool (properly called a coilover wrench) looks pretty much like this:

The stock tool kit should also have a hollow steel sleeve that can fit over the end of the handle of the shock spanner to give it more leverage.

As for tire pressures, I'd say 38.5 front, 40 rear if you are on Michelins or Dunlops. 39.5 and 40.5 rear if you are on Pirelli or Metzelers.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

but it yours doesn't come with the bar that Cyber talked about you can use a piece of rope. I use a coilover wrench for a snowmobile because it has more teeth and less chance of slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      The stock tool kit should also have a hollow steel sleeve that can fit over the end of the handle of the shock spanner to give it more leverage.
                      Its too bad I figured that out after adjusting my spring........man that was hard on the old hand
                      I had it all adjusted, went to put the tools back and noticed the sleeve One of those brain fart moments

Comment

Re: Riding 2 up - suspension and tire questions

she is 5'11 and is decent size (not big not small).[/quote]
                        I have to give it to you. Smart not to mention her weight. That would surely get you in the doghouse

Comment

If you don't have the stock kit tool, you can buy a bicycle lockring tool. They look like this:

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
                            it's a tool in the katana's tool kit. you'll know it when you see it. you should add a few pounds of pressure to the rear tire.
                            Not in my 2005 Kat's kit. But, I do have the sleeve. Suzuki's manual states "a special tool is required for this adjustment and should be completed by an authorized Suzuki dealer". Sounds like they want some $$$ for their service groups.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                              Not in my 2005 Kat's kit. But, I do have the sleeve. Suzuki's manual states "a special tool is required for this adjustment and should be completed by an authorized Suzuki dealer". Sounds like they want some $$$ for their service groups.
                              If it's really not in your toolkit, either buy the tool separately, or go on ebay and track down an earlier Kat toolkit (such as an 99 - 02) that definitely has it in it.
                              I can't beleive they obsoleted it from the toolkit... those penny-pinching grubbers!

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X