No announcement yet.
X

Bored with my Kat 600 after only 5 days.. my first bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd venture to guess that a 600 is a great learning bike, but would be outgrown quickly. I got my '94 Kat about two weeks ago, is a 750, and it's the perfect size for me. That's with no riding experience, as this Kat was my very first bike. I had actually never been riding before getting this one, and it's not too big even at 5'8" and 150 lbs.

My learning curve was sharp, mainly putt-putted around the neighborhood for a few days then woke up early before traffic one day to try out the major streets. Took me about a week before I went freeway driving but now all that I have to experience will be the rainy weather driving. I think that if I would have gotten a 600 I'd be a little unhappy right now. Even if I don't really use it's power, it's such a pleasure to ride and the bigger bike makes the girls look harder 8)

Good luck,
    Don Thigpen
    Houston, Texas

Comment

Sounds like you have no fear because you are still in the cage mentality of driving. You better lose that because just the slightest fall on your bike or the wrong move and you will get a quick wake up call that your bike is not like your cage. There is no cushion for you, no seat belt no air bag etc so keep that in mind when you are swerving in and out of traffic as a rookie rider. Otherwise you will end up as road pizza.

Not trying to be a dick but your experience as a cage driver with a perceived fast car means squat as a motrocycle rider. Remember any soccer mom can get in your supra and go fast, period. It doesn't take any special skill, talent or coordination to operate your car. They can't do the same on a bike. Remember that when you are learning and have some patience! A young kid here I know just got a gsxr and had your same mentality. He downed it at about 50 miles per hour and luckily lived but has tons of road rash. He sold it and is now content with his perceived fast honda cage. Don't end up like him or worse. I told him time and time again, kid slow down and take your time leraning and he would say, but I did this and this in my honda. Sound familiar?
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Sausage Creature sez:
        That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life. I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."

Hunter S. Thompson: Song of the Sausage Creature.

=-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by esdparamedic
          My learning curve was sharp, mainly putt-putted around the neighborhood for a few days then woke up early before traffic one day to try out the major streets. Took me about a week before I went freeway driving but now all that I have to experience will be the rainy weather driving. I think that if I would have gotten a 600 I'd be a little unhappy right now. Even if I don't really use it's power, it's such a pleasure to ride and the bigger bike makes the girls look harder 8)
          Rain's not too bad. Wind is a pain when riding. Especially gusts of wind, and the difference of how much you get when riding around large vehicles.

You sound just like me, except I did get a 600. It's not bad, but I'll probably opt for a speedier bike down the line. Probably will try to keep the Kat though, for longer rides.

Comment

Hi,

Yeah lane splitting and going 90 mph is not a really great idea right after finishing the MSF. I think it would be best to just accept you are not the fastest thing out there in your commute.

HOWEVER, DO take some weekend rides, That's where you'll reall have some fun on that 600 and get to know riding. Take some nice tight twisty stuff and GRADUALLY go faster and faster through the turns. WHen you get your butt puckering at 30 - 40 mph in some turns you'll start to really know what riding a motorcycle is about!

Leave the 70+ mph stuff on the highway, hit the low speed twisties and play in the playground your bike was made for!

If you want speed off the line, you can get any number of vehicles. Don't get the motorcycle to do that just yet, have a great time learning to flog what you've got now.

Just my opinion, I just hate to see you wasted by the top speed nymphs is all.

Comment

I have been holding back from replying to this post in order to see what direction it takes, and to see if you give a bit more input on the subject.

From what I have gathered, I can understand where you are coming from. I went from a moto-x to a honda nighthawk, and it was ok as my first bike, but not the kind of ride I was looking for. So I went to a 600 CBR Hurricane. Great bike and plenty of speed......but not power.
              Most of the replies seem to tell you that the 600 is just fine, and that you just aren't riding it right. This can be true, I guess. For sure it can be alot of fun. But there is definately an advantage to a more powerful bike. I went from the 600 to an 1100 in just a few months. It wasn't to have more speed. It was for the power. I can be rolling along beside a 600 on the hwy at 70mph, and if we decide to get up and go, I can pretty much just roll on the throttle, where as the 600 will more than likely have to drop a couple of gears to keep up. So what I am saying is that I think I know where you are coming from. It isn't the speed....it's the power/torque. And if you are hit with the desire to have more power, it is hard to resist. It is totally different, especially when you get up to 1000 cc's and more. I took my 86 750 out for a ride, and even though it is plenty fast, and has the torque once you tack it up.....it still comes up short from the feeling my 1100 gives me.
              My suggestion....go for it.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ahhhhh, the difference between being fast and being quick.

When I had the Katana and I road it just to keep it moving, it took me a day of riding to get the feel back of riding a bike that didn't make good power until the upper revs. There is nothing in the world like the feeling of massive torque pulling through the entire powerband. After a day on the Kat (600) my wrist was aching due to the fact that I used it so much harder. I also was spoiled by not having to drop a gear or two to get out of trouble on the freeway or rev higher at take-off.

Should you move up to a bigger (ie: torque/power) bike be mindful of the right wrist. What you needed to to on the Kat isn't necessary on the say, a Busa or R-literbike. When I switched back to the Kat for a ride I was slow. Not because it was slow, but because I road it like my Busa. The last thing I wanted to do was get used to the Kat again then get on the Bus and grab a huge handful of throttle.

Two rules I've learned:
                1. Learn to stop as fast as you ride. If you ride fast learn to stop fast. You will be fast on a literbike, and depending on what bike you get that speed will sneak up on you. Be prepared.
                2. Anyone can go fast - just twist the throttle to the stops and hold on, but sooner or later you're going to have to turn. Make sure you know how.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  I have been holding back from replying to this post in order to see what direction it takes, and to see if you give a bit more input on the subject.

From what I have gathered, I can understand where you are coming from. I went from a moto-x to a honda nighthawk, and it was ok as my first bike, but not the kind of ride I was looking for. So I went to a 600 CBR Hurricane. Great bike and plenty of speed......but not power.
                  Most of the replies seem to tell you that the 600 is just fine, and that you just aren't riding it right. This can be true, I guess. For sure it can be alot of fun. But there is definately an advantage to a more powerful bike. I went from the 600 to an 1100 in just a few months. It wasn't to have more speed. It was for the power. I can be rolling along beside a 600 on the hwy at 70mph, and if we decide to get up and go, I can pretty much just roll on the throttle, where as the 600 will more than likely have to drop a couple of gears to keep up. So what I am saying is that I think I know where you are coming from. It isn't the speed....it's the power/torque. And if you are hit with the desire to have more power, it is hard to resist. It is totally different, especially when you get up to 1000 cc's and more. I took my 86 750 out for a ride, and even though it is plenty fast, and has the torque once you tack it up.....it still comes up short from the feeling my 1100 gives me.
                  My suggestion....go for it.
                  You nailed it exactly. I don't want or need to go much higher than the posted limit, however freeway entrances, and in-gear acceleration are the things I am lacking. Good way to sum it up.
                  '00 Katana 600 : My first bike!
                  '04 Dodge SRT-4 : Old Commuter car
                  '94 Supra GT42R : 9 sec sports car

Comment

I feel a general update is in order based on my experiences since my last post. I have now ridden the bike for 2 weeks, and 1,500 miles through just about every traffic situation.

1. My SRT-4 is a freaking sled compared to the Kat at any legal speed. I hoped back in my SRT-4 for the first time since riding the Kat for a week straight. The difference is night and day, so let me end the comparison I made right now. I was wrong on that one.

2. Lets stop talking about the Supra as a comparison. While I disagree with the statement that a "soccer mom" could pilot the Supra safely, I can see the intent of the statement. If you have never taking a 700rwhp+ car into a corner with the turbo (150hp-500hp in 0.5 secs) coming into boost I don't feel you can speak to the skill required to pilot it. However, I do understand that it is much different than a bike, and comparison based on 0-60, 0-100 or 1/4 mile speed are not valid.

3. When I referred to lane splitting before, my intent was to convey my interpretation of lane sharing. Lane sharing is taught in the MSF, on how and when to do it safely. This differs from what may more commonly be known as lane splitting (my understanding is basically weaving in and out of traffic), which I don't do.

4. Be realistic about 90mph. 80mph+ is the average speed on the non-congested freeway here in California.

Lastly, my plan is to maintain my current bike through the end of this year (4 months and about 8,000 miles) (we don't really have an end of season in SoCal). As of now I plan to upgrade to something a little more powerful and a little less weight, like a GSX-R 600, but will make that decision in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad4URHeart
                      4. Be realistic about 90mph. 80mph+ is the average speed on the non-congested freeway here in California.
                      Where in the IE? And what freeways do you use for the commute, 91, 60, 10, 15? If you're going east/west during rush hour coming into LA or OC I understand the need for more torque/power. Lot's of crazy cages on the commute that you want to be able to get away from in a heartbeat. If you're doing north/south not so bad.

Is your Kat the daily ride?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                        Originally posted by Bad4URHeart
                        Where in the IE? And what freeways do you use for the commute, 91, 60, 10, 15? If you're going east/west during rush hour coming into LA or OC I understand the need for more torque/power. Lot's of crazy cages on the commute that you want to be able to get away from in a heartbeat. If you're doing north/south not so bad.

Is your Kat the daily ride?
                        I am in east Moreno Valley. From home to work the first 20 miles are on the street (Alessandro/Central). From there it is 91W to 55E - 73S to work.

Rush hour is a factor more in the evening, since the morning carpool lanes are pretty free of traffic.

Comment

I haven't posted here in a long time...since I sold my Katana 10 months ago, but I couldn't resist replying to this. I owned a 2002 Katana for less than six months. It was a great bike to start on. I now own a Ninja 636 and a GSXR-600. Here in East Tennessee, a 600 is plenty of power. I wanted something that was a little more nimble in the curves. Get your Katana out in the curves and get it leaned over and you won't be bored with it anymore. And when you find you want something that can be thrown from side to side a little quicker, then it's time to look elsewhere. I think ALL bikes are boring in a straight line.

Comment

I think all commutes are boring.

The End.

Comment

Good you took the comments to heart. I would smoke your supra with my modified cobra hands down! Seriously, ride safe and good luck.
                              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                              JOHN 16:33

Comment

HA! I saw this thread cross posted on SF a few days ago...funny the different opinions on the two boards...

SF = "Ditch that slow, old, POS Kat...and get a literbike"
                                Here = A good number of thoughtful posts...glad you listened to these guys!

I would've posted earler, but I'm not here much since I stopped riding the Kat...I missed KR!

if you cant go 0-40mph from a stop light and leave all the cars well behind you. then something is wrong with the bike or the rider.

havent people here done 10s with a kat. your 9 sec supra isnt That much faster than the kat as it is.
                                While I agree w/ the first part...I think you fell and hit your head halfway through your post.

His Supe is in a whole different UNIVERSE of fast when compared to a Kat.
                                I've run a buddies MK4 w/ 250-300 whp less than him...50 mph. roll, he brake boosted, and by 75 he LEFT me! His 900hp car is good to run with modern SS bikes, let alone a Kat...sheesh!

Are you shifting at 3000 RPM??
                                While I have to take your word that your Neon
                                is as fast as the 600.. I'm amazied.
                                I'll also have to take you at your word you had a 9 sec Supra. Lets remember a few things.
                                Your 9 sec supra cost, what, 3 or 4 times what the kat cost. Base? I don't know. Few stock car engines put out the HP/cc ratio that a motorcycle can. Few cars can out brake a bike. While a few can out corner one, based on your past cars I'm not sure thats what your looking for.
                                I'll say this: Cornering a bike is way more exciting than putting a car into a four wheel drift.
                                You shold be able to have more fun on a bike at legal speeds than you can in a car. On the road
                                (commuting) there should be nothing keeping up with you.. (unless you are commuting the nurimburg ring)
                                I've had sports cars. I've out run my share of Porshes in the twisties. The only car that ever "spanked" me was a Pantera. (And yes I was royally spanked!)
                                But I get more thrills at 45-60 mph on the Kat than I did at 120+ in the car..
                                Um, a stock SRT is child's play for a decient rider on a 750.(Ask me how I know)
                                I don't know what car/bike cost matter for...but that car is WAY...WAY over 3 times the Kat's cost.
                                And FWIW, maybe I'm misinformed...but cars have a HEAVY advantage in braking AND cornering over bikes...partially due to having much more rubber down.2<4.
                                I really dont' think the OP can be serious, to me, it sounds 100% troll bait.
                                Nope, he's for real...and so is his car. Although i could see why you'd wanna call BS...
                                Not trying to be a dick but your experience as a cage driver with a perceived fast car means squat as a motrocycle rider. Remember any soccer mom can get in your supra and go fast, period. It doesn't take any special skill, talent or coordination to operate your car.
                                My mom couldn't deal w/ trying to drive my lowly 400whp MK3.
                                A young kid here I know just got a gsxr and had your same mentality. He downed it at about 50 miles per hour and luckily lived but has tons of road rash. He sold it and is now content with his perceived fast honda cage. Don't end up like him or worse. I told him time and time again, kid slow down and take your time leraning and he would say, but I did this and this in my honda. Sound familiar?
                                Um...WOW...I don't think you see a difference between a fast car and a "perceived fast car".
                                900whp RWD Turbo Supra > 135whp FWD Honduh

And you ever driven ANY heavily modded Turbo car??
                                This is how it goes...
                                Wait, wait, wait, you hear something?, BAM!!!! Tire spinning insanity QUICKLY ensues...then mom pulls over and throws up.
                                Good you took the comments to heart. I would smoke your supra with my modified cobra hands down! Seriously, ride safe and good luck.
                                At least you wrapped your BS in a nice comment or two...that must be a crazy cobra...with a jet engine, although from your posts above...sounds like you drive a Honda!
                                Line your Cobra up w/ his Supra...my money's on the soccer mom.

Bad4yourheart...get out in the twisties, now! Don't come back until you're draggin' knees on the Kat, when you can do that at some good speeds...you'll step up to a Gix and REALLY appreciate it!

-Steve

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
                                '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
                                '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
                                '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
                                '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

Comment

Working...
                                X