X

Clutch slave cylinder leaking. Advice needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slave cylinder leaking. Advice needed

Hey guys. I recently changed my sprockets and chain, when I put the bike back together and tried to take it for a test ride, it would start up in nutral but when I kick it into first the bike lunges forwards and dies.

I noticed the clutch lever was super spongy, so I looked at the slave while pulling the clutch and noticed a bunch of fluid leaking out of the slave when I pulled the lever.

Would I need to replace the slave or rebuild it? I don't know much about the clutch system.

This is my daily ride to work, I need to get her back on the road.

Here is a shitty pic. Is that bar supposed to be in 2 pieces?

When u put it back together I noticed it the sprocket cover wouldn't even come close to the bolt holes u less I pulled out the bar in the slave, but it was in there when I took it out.

I'm so pissed and confused.

Thanks for checking my post.
    Last edited by SamuraiGiant1100; 12-24-2014, 02:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Bad picture so I'm not certain I'm seeing this correctly. That bar is the clutch pushrod. It is supposed to go from the slave into the gasket in front of the front sprocket. It looks like either A) it's broken and in 2 pieces (big problem) or b) there's a lot of grease coming out the hole where it goes in. (Not a problem)

Having that pushrod in 2 pieces means the clutch won't disengage the tranny from the engine, and you can't shift. So you're basically stalling the engine when you try. (Please don't try again, you can rally mess things up) As a temporary fix until you get a new pushrod, you can make your own

Go to the hardware store, find a metal dowel that's nearly the right diameter, throw it in a drill, and sand it down to the correct diameter. Measure out 2 pieces, and trim your dowel to the correct length.

As far as the lever feeling spongy, it's likely because the pushrod wasn't pushing against anything because the broken halves weren't lining up.

When you have the cover off, don't let it hang. The clutch line is like brake lines - hanging is bad for it. Either way, once you get everything back together, bleeding it wouldn't hurt.

As far as the fluid leaking out...a rebuild never hurt. Kits are ~$30 if memory serves correct. Be sure to hone the cylinder. Without seeing it, can't tell why it's leaking, but a rebuild should take care of that.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

well thank you for the reply and the info!

i tried pulling the pushrod out of the seal by the sprocket but it seemed like it was stuck in there.

i'll try to find a temp fix rod like you mentioned. any idea where i could get a actual replacement for the pushrod?

Comment

You're welcome!

Should be part #21:

(That is for an 89-94 1100, if you have an 88 it may be different. )

If it is really stuck in there, you might have to pull out the seal as well (the seal is included in a slave cylinder rebuild kit btw). It's a bit of a pain to do so - need to remove the front sprocket so you can remove the cover that goes over the seal. Then the seal just pries out. But if you just put that front sprocket on, I can see that being a little annoying.

Post #79 kind of covers a slave clyinder rebuild including replacing that seal:
        Info & discussions about our Big Brothers - the 1100 Kats
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

oh wow, thank you so much! i've been searching for the part all night and you found it so quick lol i really appreciate the time you took to help me out!

Comment

Working...
          X