X

Motorcycle Alarm anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Alarm anyone?

I think I finally need an alarm for my bike since everything but the bike has been stolen from my tire lights to decals on my exhaust. Anyone have an alarm setup on their bike? How does it work, will it go off if the bike is touched? im thinkin about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...spagenameZWDVW

how does that look?

Wait they stole the decals off your exhaust?

Comment

This looks like a simple "trembler" switch type.
      Jiggle the bike and it goes off..

These can go two ways sometimes..
      Too sensitive and it goes off when some one slams a car door or a desiel truck pulls up.
      Not sensitive enough and some one make off with your luggage..

Except for the size and the "water proof" claim I don't
      see what makes this a motorcycle alarm.

I don't buy into alarms.. I installed them for years
      and had a great one on my car once..
      Best thing about the alarm I had?
      It locked the doors automaticly and "keyless" entry.
      IMO no one notices them anymore, I had my car busted into several times with the alarm..

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
        Me, I'd let them take the bike. I have full coverage that covers theft. .
        +1 to that..
        My anti theft system is insurance...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Wait they stole the decals off your exhaust?
          They're stealing his bike one bit at a time... it keeps each 'instance' a misdemeanor instead of grand theft

Originally posted by brooder
          CyberPoet has a great anti-theft device for sale at his site. .
          It's good at stopping people from taking the bike itself -- it won't stop people from taking small pieces (lights, decals, etc). CyberPoet's MotorcycleAnchors - MotorcycleAnchor.com

-------

As for alarms, the only alarm I would consider at this point is the Scorpion (or something similar with paging abilities), and even then, only if you park the bike within paging range of the bike (a 100 feet or so, possibly less in a heavy-steel-construction urban area like you're in). Gotta be ready to run out with a baseball bat at 3am when you get paged, though...

What I would suggest is a full motorcycle cover (something like a DowCo) with a lock system for the cover itself. They can still get through it with a knife easily enough, but usually out-of-sight is also out-of-mind when it comes to minor thefts like what you describe.

Good luck with that!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A lockable tarp might help with people stealing some parts ....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Just keep a pitbull chained to your bike. Why would someone steal used decals off an exhaust? Maybe they swapped it for a new exhaust altogether and figured you'd never notice.

Comment

My friend has the same alarm, he seems to like it. I park my bike outside and I put a cover over it and run a cable lock through the grommets so nobody can take the cover off, mind you they could just cut around the grommets but the more roadblocks you put in front of them the more chances they'll find another bike to mess with. Good luck.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I have the Scorpio SR-i500 on mine. I like the fact that it will page me should the alarm go off. It is not the loudest, but that is fine for me. It lets me know if someone is messing with it. I got the one with all the bells and whistles. It has a perimeter sensor, so that if that is on, it will start to chirp when someone gets in range of the bike. If they keep coming, then it will trigger the alarm, and set off my pager. It also has anti-hijack/starter kill, and battery backup.

Works good for my purposes. Then again, I am in line of sight of my garage, and should that wake me up, a gun out the window should be more than enough to get rid of would-be theives.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

I have a Gorilla alarm on the Kat and all bikes are Krypto cable locked together. If the Kat alarm goes off, I hear it.

Most people tend to ignore alarms anymore, but they keep the more honest people honest more than anything.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Well i just want something that will go off if someone touches the bike. Im not concerned about anyone stealing it i mean its a Katana...who steals a Katana then again with my luck you never know. Im just concerned with the pricks who tip my bike over or keyed all around it. Since I covered it I have had no problems except for the theft of my tire lights.....then again I guess there was nothing left to steal.

Comment

If they want it they're gonna take it, so anything u can do to slow them down or make them think twice is well worth it, IMO>

Comment

a local audio shop up the street from me can get ones with a mercury switch so if the bike is tipped a certain degree the alarm will go off. its really nice and i believe that it only cost like 250

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
                            s Im not concerned about anyone stealing it i mean its a Katana...who steals a Katana .
                            Thats what I said also, until i went to ride one morning and lock cylinder was trashed. Granted whoever tried to get mine were rookies, due to the fact that they worked on it a while.(and as much as i hate to say it, possibly multiple days). But, either way in this instance, there is no doubt in my mind that if I had the alarm before, this would not have happened. Ended up buying new lock cylinder and still have damaged triple tree.
                            I went with the Scorpio alarm, like others have said, if they want it they will get it, if a person is eyeballing your bike, an alarm will not change their mind. For what you are wanting, im sure any alrm that has a motion sensor, and/or proximity sensor would suit your needs...
                            BTW, to tell ya how much faith i have that my alarm would stop a would be thief,,,,,,,,,, it now sits in living room, with handle bars locked mind ya
                            Once we get the house and settled in, even with this, there is a good chance i will be calling Cyber,, and then i get to listen to wifey complain that im drilling holes in our new garage floor

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                              Works good for my purposes. Then again, I am in line of sight of my garage, and should that wake me up, a gun out the window should be more than enough to get rid of would-be theives.
                              OMG that is the second reference to Lou being armed..
                              I'm getting worried..

Comment

Working...
                              X