Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Pictorial - Katana Swingarm mod to fit GSXR Wheel.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey krey what kinda material did you use to lathe the piece that goes in the gsxr wheel...hardened stainless??

Comment

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
      Hey krey what kinda material did you use to lathe the piece that goes in the gsxr wheel...hardened stainless??

What ever spare stock that was laying around at the machinist's shop. Not sure specifically what it was, just that it was steel.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yo krey can you remember the OD of the sleeve on the Gsxr wheel, I know the inside needs to be 17mm to match the axles, hell I guess I can go out to the garage and measure but the bears game is on lol

Comment

Hey Kreylyn have you modded a post kat swingarm yet? I have a 06 and would like to do this swap. Could you pm me a price and the things you would need from me to do the fab work? Thanks for your time

Comment

Love the katana what type of metal did you use I'm wanting to extend my swingarm

Comment

Originally posted by camarogreen1995gsx600f View Post
              Love the katana what type of metal did you use I'm wanting to extend my swingarm

Swingarms are just mild steel. Any decent steel extensions welded on would work fine. 2mm thick sheet could be cut/bent into matching sized rectangular tubes and welded on.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

A gsxr swingarm wouldn't necessarily fit on a kat without sum kind of customization(cutting and welding) done to it right??

Comment

Originally posted by ifox View Post
                  A gsxr swingarm wouldn't necessarily fit on a kat without sum kind of customization(cutting and welding) done to it right??

General question has many answers it does.

Seriously, the specifics all come down to what year model gsxR swingarm your talking about. Most are going to widen too quick to not hit the lower sub frame on the kats. Generally speaking most times if your putting a wide swingarm from a SS bike on a Kat, you need to cut/weld/ re-fabricate the lower sub frame and rear set area of the Kat to accommodate the wider arms.

Additionally, the newer model the swing arm is general = the larger the pivot bolt and slimmer the pivot section on the swingarm. So year makes a huge difference there.

Finally, the shock and linkage mountings tend to be completely different. So to have rear suspension that not only will work, but actually work well may very well take a lot of adjustment, understanding of leverages and math to work out the numbers, and more fab work to set that up right.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanx Krey!!

Comment

Amazing, Are you selling these? Sometimes i hear you are and sometimes i hear you are not?

If you are, did you assemble some sort of kit?

Comment

Will that mod work for an 88 600?
                        88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Hoko View Post
                          Will that mod work for an 88 600?

Should. While the 88s swingarm is slightly different, over all it's the same shape and should work the same way.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

How much would it cost me to have you build another one? spacers and all?

Comment

Got the pics back on line.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X