X

removing front signals.........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing front signals.........

Hey. Soon going to be replacing my stock orange sigs on my 2002 Kat with the CA crystal clear ones. Two questions.......... (1) the CA clear signals......do they come as a whole unit or is it just the lens, (2) what is the process in removing the original signals to install the new ones..........do you have to remove the fairing to get at them or can it be done without doing so? Thanks so much, I did a search and really didn't come up with a whole lot. And no one really explained in detail on how to do the front signal conversion.

Safe riding!!!

The signals do come as a unit (not just the lens). You have to take the inner (black) fairing (shields) off .They have 3 screws and a push type pin on each side. The blinkers are held in with two screws per side. The process should only take about 30 minutes to do. I used 2 phillips#2 screwdrivers, one short one long shank. First find the plastic push pins ( near center above fender) and press the center in, then carefully pull that pin assembly out. Take the long shank driver to remove the top and middle screw out and use the short driver for the bottom (u can use the short shank on the center screw if you want). Carefully remove that side from the fairing and you will see the exposed blinker assembly,remove the 2 screws and the bulb socket(twist). Repeat for the other side. Install in reverse order.
    Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

If you have a 90 degree screwdriver (first pic) or a set of super-stubbies (second pic), you can actually reach down through the fairings (with the steering turned all the way to one side) and unscrew the blinker cases off. It's a bit of a PIA, but it's easier than removing the fairings IMHO if that's all you are doing under there.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. This will save me the stress of trying to figure it out the easiest way possible. And here I thought that you would have to take apart the entire fairing...........what was I thinking !!!!!!! Thanks again...........DD and CP!!!!

Comment

I swapped mine out and did it all without removing anything, with a normal straight screw driver, granted it was pretty hard but it is possible. I did this because I didn't know how to get the fairing off and didn't want to mess with it. May be just as easy to take the fairing off because reaching down there and doing all that blind was not easy. Not to mention I'm quite small...

Comment

It's done. Now she looks even better without thoses old orange stock sigs. The whole process only took me about an hour (I really took my time so that I didn't screw anything up) I first tried to do it without removing any fairings............what a pain!!!!!!!! Then I came to my sences and removed the inner fairing to get at the lights better.........100% easier!!!!!! Thanks a lot for the info guys! Now all I need is for the snow to go away.............

Comment

Originally posted by knight_rider
              It's done. Now she looks even better without thoses old orange stock sigs. The whole process only took me about an hour (I really took my time so that I didn't screw anything up) I first tried to do it without removing any fairings............what a pain!!!!!!!! Then I came to my sences and removed the inner fairing to get at the lights better.........100% easier!!!!!! Thanks a lot for the info guys! Now all I need is for the snow to go away.............
              lol. taking off the fairings probably was a whole hell of a lot easier. like i said i did mine and didnt do that, it was damn near impossible and extremely frustrating.... (that was before i knew how easy it was to remove the fairings)

Comment

if you got good reach you can take off without removing anything. all i did was put on center stand and move the handlebars all the way to one side to get room.

Comment

They look nice. I see you updated your profile pic.
                  My rear clear lens just arrived. I am going to put that on tonight. That will match the front and rear clear turn signals!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Yea..... I needed a new pic for my profile. I can't believe how much better the clear lens makes the bike look. I'd like to soon get the rear clear taillight to match as well..........that will be in the works for next winter when I do my exhaust mod too. What are you runnin for the rear sigs? Stock w/ clear lens?

Comment

replaced my lenses about two weeks ago, rear was easy turn and tail light the fronts were to say the least ?)*:}:&^% but can be done without removing anything but just be patient , it took about 2 hrs or 2 stubbies of beer
                      '99 Suzuki GSXF
                      '67 BSA Spitfire
                      '73 Triumph trident
                      '35 AJS 350 side valve
                      '72 XS2 Yamaha 650
                      '51 BSA A10 Golden Flash
                      sigpic

Comment

yea the front fairings were very easy to remove and it made getting at the front signals very easy. I suggest to anyone who is changinf their front sigs to just remove the underside of the front fairings and you will save yourself a lot of time and headache.....................

Comment

Working...
                        X