X

92 750 Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 750 Build

Thought I would share my build with you all. So, here it is. Bike is a 92 GSX750 with the 748cc slingshot motor, 7,000 miles on the clock. Sometime in 99 it was laid over rather good and most cosmetics were trashed. To my knowledge it has sat outside covered for the majority of that time. I have found traces of someone having been inside the carbs however. Aparently they didnt have any clue what they were doing as some parts were missing inside. I have owned her for a little over 4 years now. My plan is to get this bike running and do a few small upgrades in the process. Getting her running might prove to be the most challenging part however.

So far I have invested $700.00 in parts.
    Alot of parts off Bike Bandit to replace broken or missing parts needed. Carb rebuild for all 4
    A Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit
    5 3/4" Halogen headlight and fork brackets
    And a rear assembly from a 92 GSXR (from swingarm to tire )

This is my first bike. Have wanted to get one for over 10 years but for some reason I kept customizing cars and trucks. Probably wise since I have always been a speed demon of sorts. Now I have matured enough to be a little wiser in some areas, at least I think so. Mods are not going to be real crazy at first. They will progress over time, HOWEVER there are some things that just have to be done. Never been a fan of stock anything.

So far I have:
    Removed the last of wrecked parts
    Cut the stock seat, reworked the latch, shaped the padding, and restreched the leather
    Choped the tail off and re-worked the lower tail brace
    Bent and welded some expanded metal to camoflage all the crap under the seat
    Installed a bobber style tail light
    Welded some sheet metal under the tail

To do list:
    Rebuild and jet the carbs
    Get it running
    Replace all broken parts
    Mount the headlight
    Re-wire lights
    Figure something for guages ( ideas needed, stockers are to damn big )
    Mod the swingarm for wider GSXR rim and maybe stretch it 2-3". Stretch will depend of how everything looks with the wider tire

Uploading pictures from my flash drive to photobucket right now. Will post them as soon as it is done

What she looked like when I got her

Started pulling parts and look what I find when I lifted the seat. Sometime in the 4 years its been in my garage, somebody found a home and was storing dog food for the winter

After a little work she is Naked

Seat redone and my youngest testing it out

Seat back on frame with latch moved foreword

Reworked the lower tail braces

Expanded metal and sheet metal added

Rear brake light in and spray painted

And finally how she sits right now. Patiently waiting on parts to start rolling in

All welds were done via GTAW ( TIG ) I am sheet metal and 2G certified with that process so I am confident in all welds done. Looking at this last picture gets me thinking something needs done right under the front of the tank. Not sure what though. Also started thinking today about fabbing up an aluminum air box to add some eye candy under there.

Comment

Looking good....

Might I suggest for consideration using expanded metal in the area (front, under top frame rail" to counter the rear... I would suggest putting a couple of "hooks" on the top you can hang it from, and then a couple of tapped bolt holes on the bottom to "bolt it" in place. This makes it easily removable for fine tuning those carbs when it's running from the side.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I agree it does need something up front. Im not sure I understand where exactly you are talking about though. You said under the top frame rail and removable for side carb tuning? The way I'm looking at it, anything under the top frame rail wouldnt get in the way for tuning. I did a little quickie in paint to see if I am in the general area though.

Green is an idea I have been toying around with. Either welding it to the tank and bolting it to the frame or welding it to the frame and bolting to the tank. I think it will be easier to do it the first way and would have done it. However I can't decide if I want the expanded metal grains to flow with the tank or with the metal already on the bike. Any thoughts?
        Yellow is the only place I can think of that you might be talking about. Its under the top frame rail. But the carbs aint close

I had originally thought of running the expanded metal to close that entire gap under the tank/seat area. Have since decided against that as I believe it will just be too much. Plus there would be some rather difficult compound bends to get it to flow right and not be in the way of my knee's.

Let me know if I am close to what you are thinking or way off in left field somewhere
        Last edited by 92GSX750; 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM. Reason: Forgot picture

Comment

Yellow is what I was talking about. You can actually get to the carbs int that lower corner for adjustment to the idle adjuster, or if your using a carb tool to adjust the a/f screws while it's running.

The yellow is also a "counter" area to the current covered spot, so it would match up.

For the green... I would suggest using an abs sheet to start with, cut and formed (heat gun will allow for some general moulding to happen) and use tabs very like the one that is on the upper frame rail (or was) to attatch it there but not to the tank.

Being able to freely remove that tank and easily get to under it will be a huge convienance factor.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Expanded metal in the yellow actually would work good. I'm looking at the bike now and that area will be able to flow with what's already installed. Runs on the exact same plane. Was trying to see how it would look in the tank area and I can't get it to work. The lines just don't match up at all or even close for that matter. And I do see now that there is an area in the corner to access the bottom side of the carbs. Yellow it is, thanks

Comment

Got those pieces of expanded metal in and threw some semi gloss on. I think it looks rather good and should be less shiny in a few days. I do still plan to do something like the GREEN in the above picture. It will probably be done with metal as thats what I know best. I need my parts from Bike Bandit first to know exactly how the tank will sit before I start that. Pictures aren't the best. My good camera isn't so good anymore and had to take them with my phone.

Some parts should be here Friday. Headlight, shock adjustment cable, GSXR 600 rear, and a spare frame. My frame is good but DMV is really starting to give me a headache about getting my title. So another frame is in route for backup. Bike is not Stolen, I checked before I took possession years ago. The bike change hands so many times without anyone getting it put in their name is the problem.

Anyways, the more I look at my exhaust the less I like it. I will wait till I get my new rear done before I make any final decisions. One of two things is going to happen
              1) I'm simply going to move the Yoshi can more towards the front
              2) Drag pipe (baffled and packed)
              I've done alot of reading about them here and consences is that rejetting is required. Already planned that since it does have a full exhaust kit now. If I go that route I'm either going to run 1 single 2" pipe out the header with baffle or I might split the header into 2 systems, 2 baffles, both exiting the same side with 1 1/2" instead. Trying to decide which setup will have more backpressure as I don't want to burn my valves.

I read about a washer trick to add back pressure, which I could do with both setups if needed. And if I'm thinking right longer baffles will have more resistance than short ones? Any opinions?

Comment

I'm really liking that fencing material on the frame work... thats all I need is more ideas for my never ending build...
                looking good
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Nice idea! never thought aboult using expanded steel.

Richard
                  96 Suzuki GSX750F
                  89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                  05 Yamaha WR450F
                  05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

With the Yosh can you have, it would be possible to cut the can down and shorten it's overall length.

If you did that... you could hook it right at the collector directly under the bike. Turn the can so the exhaust is off to the right or left a tad instead of directly at the tire, but that wold look pretty mean with the under bike exhuast. Probably be quieter than the gp style.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      With the Yosh can you have, it would be possible to cut the can down and shorten it's overall length.

If you did that... you could hook it right at the collector directly under the bike. Turn the can so the exhaust is off to the right or left a tad instead of directly at the tire, but that wold look pretty mean with the under bike exhuast. Probably be quieter than the gp style.

Krey
                      You talking something like I had with my Delkevic can Krey? I loved that look, I just couldn't deal with the headache after long rides.

1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I was playing around with different placements for that Yoshi earleir. Looking down the pipe it looks like the last half of it is just an open chamber. Just a simple cut, and drill mod to shorten it and that might be the ticket. I will have to play around with it more once I mod this swinger. I cant wait to get started on that

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                          You talking something like I had with my Delkevic can Krey? I loved that look, I just couldn't deal with the headache after long rides.
                          Almost... I would have looked at basically no midpipe at all, connected the can directly at the header in essence. No centerstand would allow for this, and tilting the end up slightly would give plenty of clerance... at least, no any less than what the header already takes.

An improvement on susupesion would be needed for heavy curves use, but if it's mostly flat riding... probably wouldn't be an issue.

As for the sound... would still be less loud than the GP style, but yes... it's gonna be loud.

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                          I was playing around with different placements for that Yoshi earleir. Looking down the pipe it looks like the last half of it is just an open chamber. Just a simple cut, and drill mod to shorten it and that might be the ticket. I will have to play around with it more once I mod this swinger. I cant wait to get started on that
                          Yeah, it would be very simple to adjust the length.

Be sure to take lots of pics in doing that GSXR swingarm mod. Lots of people ask what all is intailed on doing that.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

I will take plenty of pictures. Once the GSXR parts get here I can figure out what way I want to go to get this done. Will probably be something along the lines of what you did

Comment

Not much done today. However I did pull out my swingarm. Other than that I worked on some shop cleanup. Half my tools were on the floor and I needed to clear some space on my welding table for this weekend. Pictures of stripped bike and swingarm on my welding table.

Comment

Working...
                              X