X

cam chain tensioner help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam chain tensioner help

I've got an '02 Kat 750. I have a shop do my maintenance. I took it in a bit ago to get the valves adjusted. before and after it had a squeaky noise (I thought valve chatter so between that and the mileage 16k I figured it was time)
    Noise didn't go away. They are telling me the cam chain tensioner was worn and had some movement. He is saying auto adjusting ones fail too much so they are putting a manual adjusting one in there and I'll just have to tell the shop doing the tuneups to check that too.

Yay...nay...BS?

Just trying to get some edumacation for muhself.

Thanks in advance!

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Manual?
    I say BS..
    Sounds like they are gonna jam a wire tie in there or something..

Comment

I KNOW it's totally possible. I have a manual cam chain tensioner. APE makes one, yes the GSXR one works for a GSXF.

the oil cooled GSXR 750, if you have half a brain cell you can do it.
      Last edited by arsenic; 04-10-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

But would you suggest it?
        Can you explain the benefits?
        I need to replace the spring on mine so I might as well make a manual one..

Comment

yes I'd suggest it, I have it.
          Benefits... tension is constant, wide open throttle to nothing back to wide open throttle, same tension.
          Last edited by arsenic; 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Benefits?
            Besides the obvious Arsenic is a god and we must do as he does reason of course..

Comment

All though I believe you Arsenic I am curious to the benefits??? On autos manual tensioners are too easy to over tighten while autotensioners are safer in that regard. Do the auto ones realy go that often? I am curious as my 88 is all original and I have had no probs with it. But on the same side of things I would want to change if it is gona call it quits anytime soon

Comment

I listed benefits I was editing that while you posted your smartass comment. Honestly, no, they don't go out that often, they do however, go out. CP has a picture of a shrunk spring it does happen. On an 88, yeah very possible. And I AM god, and if you did what I did I wouldn't have to tell people how to fix all kinds of things everyday.
                Last edited by arsenic; 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Yah I see your edit and what was smartass about it. I wanted your honest opinion without you think that I was argueing with you. And thank you for the link I am perusing it now to see if I can fit it into my already over spent budget.
                  Last edited by creepinghunter; 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
                    Yah I see your edit and what was smartass about it. I wanted your honest opinion without you think that I was argueing with you. And thank you for the link I am perusing it now to see if I can fit it into my already over spent budget.
                    He was talking to me...

Bless his heart..

Comment

I didn't mean you're smartass comment, I know you had questions, I meant BP's smartass comment.
                      ya thats right, bless my heart

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Benefits... tension is constant, wide open throttle to nothing back to wide open throttle, same tension.
                        But I thought the ratchet held it.. Sure it could get a little tighter (between teeth) but not looser.
                        The spring merely forces it to the next tooth on the ratchet.
                        (or if the spring is toast it does nothing)

Comment

Ah sorry. I was like wow I was not trying to be a smartass
                          All good sorry for the confusion and again as always thanx for your input

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                            But I thought the ratchet held it.. Sure it could get a little tighter (between teeth) but not looser.
                            The spring merely forces it to the next tooth on the ratchet.
                            (or if the spring is toast it does nothing)
                            still if it is between teeth and the springs hold tension when the chain is in motion, when slack is let into the chain it will push the adjuster back to the tooth, resulting in possible bent valves. I highly doubt that will happen, but I highly doubted I wouldn't be able to walk at 25 either

Comment

In fact they said they were going to call APE so I know that is the one they are going with. His explanation was that the auto adjusters HAVE failed on him while the manual ones do not and that if I include looking at/adjusting that at tune up time that I will be better in the long run. Thanks Arsenic for confirming this. The guy that runs this shop has been racing bikes for over 20 years (retired now) so I feel fairly confident in what he says, but I just wanted to verify.
                              I knew it was something. They said it hadn't failed yet, but was on it's way.

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Comment

Working...
                              X