X

Cam Chain Tensioner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain Tensioner?

Righty, my bike makes a horrible knocking noise at idle and refuses to do so at the same time, its not the tappets, its jetted alright, i believe its the cam chain, do the tensioners on these go wrong atall? Has anyone had this problem? Are there better replacements or just the suzi ones?
    "they haven't made a motorcycle in oh 35yrs where you can turn the head light off Confused"

burger?

the spring is gone in it repalce spring ride some more or put in a manual cct
    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

i ride as often as i can, its my only form of transport sold the car ages ago
      "they haven't made a motorcycle in oh 35yrs where you can turn the head light off Confused"

burger?

Comment

Yes, the pre-98's cam tension spring goes bad semi-regularly (every decade?), esp. with use of poor/cheap oils (engine oil can sludge up the tensioner button -- the eraser end of a pencil or a hollow bic pen tube may be able to clear the sludge if you push it through, if it's just sludge).

For your reference
        Pre-98 cam tensioner springs - top is brand new, bottom is bad):

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've got a gsxr intake cam, new cam chain and manual APE tensioner for sale in the for sale section..

Comment

Good to know. I'm paying to have my "cam chain tensioner" replaced on my pre-98. Now I know it's just a spring.
            It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Sara
              Good to know. I'm paying to have my "cam chain tensioner" replaced on my pre-98. Now I know it's just a spring.
              Well, that's not strictly the truth.
              The cam chain tensioner assembly includes the spring shown above, a button that rides against the cam chain guide or the cam chain, a seal, and the body to hold it. The entire assembly is quite a bit more expensive than just the spring -- and the criteria on whether the replace the full assembly or just the spring is usually down to what condition the button is in.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yup, I've seen a cam chain adjuster that was missing the spring on that button, in other words it wouldn't auto adjust. In that case you'd have to replace the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                X