X

cam chain tensioner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam chain tensioner

i have been searching and searching for a how to adjust/replace the cam chain tensioner. my kat is starting to sound like a sewing machine and i know its time for this to be done.

i guess the sewing machine sound is not due to cam chain tensioner, since this part only removed the little slack left by the camshafts assembly when the chain is going back down to crankshaft

i'd personaly think that it would be a valve adjustement that is needed

Check into service manual for cam chain tensioner. You must remove it to reset it (very easy)

Good Luck

Lp

Comment

I changed the spring for the cam chain tensioner last year, and it removed some of the sewing machine rattle that a valve adjustment didn't cure... it's really easy to do, download or buy a service manual and follow the instructions.
      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Get the replacement tensioner.
        Unbolt the old tensioner & draw it out.
        Stick a ball point pen shaft through the opening to knock away any built up oil sludge.
        Install the new tensioner assembly.

Most times, that will be sufficient. Sometimes you need to reset the cam chain guide the tensioner pushes again (consult the manual).

Yes, IMHO, sewwing machine noises are usually directly attributable to the cam chain tensioner assembly.

Pics - New vs Old Tensioner springs:

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's just as easy to take the whole assembly out and make SURE it's clean and reset it . Takes an extra 5-10 minutes tops .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i just took mine to the dealer and had them listen to it..first thing out of their mouth was " Cam Chain Tensioner" never even mentioned valve adjustment.

Guess i'll have to get dirty
            " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Working...
            X