X

New from San Diego

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from San Diego

Picked up a nice 1993 Katana 600. I picked it up for $800.
    It leaked a little around the #4 carb ( bowl gasket), and it ran rich and smelled like it was burning a lot of gas. My daughter just got her license, and she just turned 17. She did her first street bike ride, and we went up the coast a few miles checking out the beaches( me on my KLR650)
    The next day I started taking it apart to find the leak, and it just seemed to not want to go at low end( figured it was too rich).
    I found the mixture screw was at 3 turns out..... hmmm
    and the intake manifold was covered in gas. I sumized that it was the floats, so i tried adjusting them. Nothing changed, I took the carbs apart, and adjusted the mixture screws at least 4 times. All of a sudden, the bike revved to the moon upon start up. ( throttle cable). I don't know if I have the right routing of the cable, or if it is the incorrect cable....?
    I also found that the float needles have creases in them where they have seated for years( ordered new ones on ebay)also ordered bowl gasket.

Can anyone show me the cable routing for the 1993 kat 600?

Thank you

Nice OEM Kat. If it ran before its not the routing. Check that the boot clamp isn't catching the throttle arms.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Nice OEM Kat. If it ran before its not the routing. Check that the boot clamp isn't catching the throttle arms.
      Good thought. I did notice the clamp was dangerously close.
      When we finished up our first ride, I noticed the throttle cable was loosely hanging from the handlebar throttle assemble on the handle bar, the screw was hanging, and the plastic was not married together. I made me wonder if that was the previous owners half-ass fix. i saw the butterfly bracket stopping short of the idlke stop ( leaving me to believe the cable is too short...

So to verify what is the right routing, can anyone tell me if the cable comes out to the right or left of the headset/frame, and above or below the frame crossbeam ( over the head)?
      Thanks
      BTW, My daughters think this bike is way prettier than a r6, sv650, or a cbr600..... chicks
      Last edited by Ratz; 06-14-2014, 12:15 AM.

Comment

If you haven't, check the wiki for the free manual download.

I'd suggest a full cleaning on the carbs to help ensure no further issues later on when your dialing things in. Additionally, make sure you sync the carbs with a good sync tool. The katana is very susceptible to vacuum/air leaks causing running issues so make sure you have the OEM airbox, OEM equiv. air filter, and check for any vacuum/air leaks around all the rubber/plastic points between the airbox and engine.

If I remember right, the cable runs left of the frame, under the cross brace.

The cable should not be loose at all at the throttle.

If in doubt, I would replace. Worst case, you have a new cable installed and an older one that is a replacement if needed later on to keep under the seat.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

And welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome aboard, I like the colours of that bike

Comment

Beautiful Kat! Welcome?

Comment

Working...
              X