No announcement yet.
X

New to the moto world, inherited a Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ganjagreg, I've been seeing this a lot on YouTube, girls with nice tails mounting go pros on their other tails for our viewing pleasure...I approve of these trends. @lifesaver Welcome to KR, I too got a katana with a hacked up wiring harness...covered in electrical tape, with wires that should be connected to things chopped off, bent over and taped up even more. It's annoying...i just ordered a whole wiring harness I'm throwing in this weekend, hopefully, it was only 50 bucks on ebay.

Comment

Yes I approve of but selfies. The harness I ordered never arrived but the guy called me last night and said its on its way and he would throw in some extra goodies for his tardiness. Some other developments in my Katana experience.

Now a problem I'm going to run into is that the guy who had the motorcycle before her never registered it, she also has never registered it. She has the title but for me to register it thru are asking me to do a bonded title, Is anybody familiar with this?

Also the bike does not shift out of neutral, no matter how hard I engage the clutch or kick down or pull up, any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by lifesaver87 View Post
        Yes I approve of but selfies. The harness I ordered never arrived but the guy called me last night and said its on its way and he would throw in some extra goodies for his tardiness. Some other developments in my Katana experience.

Now a problem I'm going to run into is that the guy who had the motorcycle before her never registered it, she also has never registered it. She has the title but for me to register it thru are asking me to do a bonded title, Is anybody familiar with this?

Also the bike does not shift out of neutral, no matter how hard I engage the clutch or kick down or pull up, any thoughts?

I've done several bonded titles.

Questions though first. Has the title been signed by anyone other than the person listed on the title? If not, then why can't you sign for it as the buyer and register normally?

If it has been signed you can have the person who signed it go with you to the DMV and have them sign it over to you. You would have to pay for the title to be registered in their name and then immediately registered in your name ( so 2 registration fees).

If that title paper can no longer be used, it would cheaper in the long run if you can track down who has the title still registered in their name currently. You could have them fill out a lost title form, then sign it over to your name. Generally that's a lost title fee and reg fees.

Bonded title:

If you have no choice but to go this route, then the following has to occur.

Visit an insurance agency that sells Indemnity bonds. Minimal cost is $100.00 and will cover up to $1500.00 in value. You must bond 1.5X the DMV's estimated cost for the bike. So you need to verify with the DMV what they value the bike at before starting this process.

Be sure to take with you exact detailed information on the bike. Year, vin, so on. Also make sure they enter that information 100% correctly. Your personal information must match the information on your Driver's License exactly. When I say exact, I mean... down to if you have a middle initial with a period after it, that is exactly how it must show on the bond.

Call the local State Police office, request a Bonded Title bike inspection. Here in NC, they come to your location and do all the paper work on site only on thursdays. This inspection is to verify primarily the bike is not stolen. Once you have the form they fill out, on to the next step.

With all the paper work, including any bill of sales or other methods you have to prove that the bike was legally purchased, you head to the Tag office. Fill out title transfer form. Pay the title transfer fees.

At that point you get to wait until you either receive the title, or a letter explaining how you messed the process up by forgetting to dot a T or cross and I.... and need to re-file at no charge with the corrected information.

I'm not joking at all about the information needing to be perfectly accurate and matching.

I've got several bonded titles on vehicles, so I've been through the process. The only "down side" really is the expectation that you not sell the bike until the 3 years is up on the bond. I don't know how that's legally enforced, as there is nothing on the title that says "bonded".

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well shit,

This looks like a lot of work now. I will be going the bonded title route the original name on the title is the original owner and it was signed by the guy who sold it to her. So hears the hang up, i'm moving in July should I rush to do this now or wait until I move?

Also I'm in the Military my State ID is from Florida, I live in Georgia and i'm moving to Arizona.... How's that for a catch?
          Last edited by lifesaver87; 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Pass the tylenol... my head hurts just reading that...
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well shit,

This looks like a lot of work now. I will be going the bonded title route the original name on the title is the original owner and it was signed by the guy who sold it to her. So hears the hang up, i'm moving in July should I rush to do this now or wait until I move?

Also I'm in the Military my State ID is from Florida, I live in Georgia and i'm moving to Arizona.... How's that for a catch?

The name and address of the original guy is on the title. I'd see about doing a google search for phone number, or even try and visit if it's not too far away.

Even if you give the guy $50 for the "hassle" to be present when you do the lost title and sale process at the dmv, it's going to be a heck of a lot easier than doing the bonded title.

The issue I would see is the address problems for you location, DL, and short term moving with a bonded process... It can take up to 3 months to get the title once you submit.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The original owner is about 3 hours away and can't confirm if he is even at the address. He is an Alabama residents as well so I would be doing a title registration there?

Comment

The original owner is about 3 hours away and can't confirm if he is even at the address. He is an Alabama residents as well so I would be doing a title registration there?

You probably can do a temp resident title to purchase the vehicle and have the paperwork that you take with you to a permanent location. Of course, the details would be something that an AL DMV agent could explain with fees, for the situation.

I'd Google that address and name, start calling the numbers it gives you... It's amazing how much contact info you can find online including relatives and their phone numbers with just that info on the title. A few calls and you may be speaking with the guy. A simple explination a lot of times will get people wanting to help you "oh yeah, Cousin Billy had that bike a while back. How about that. Yeah, he's moved in with some girl down in Hicksville now. Let me give him a shout... "...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I Fucking love your optimism, it gives me hope. I'll get started on the research

Comment

I Fucking love your optimism, it gives me hope. I'll get started on the research

I'll mention, now that I think about it... if you get the temp registration in AL, you should be able to download, print, fill out, have notorized, and submit by mail the paperwork needed to just have the vehicle registered permanently in FL, matching your permanent address for the DL. Since your on base active military right?

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Correct!

Comment

So just an update, I drove to Alabama to find the original owner and discuss the business of the title. He understood and was cool with signing an affidavit. Yesterday I got the title authorization from the DMV so I can put tags and insurance on it now.

I wanted to get that taken care of before I beat myself up over the wiring issues so now I can redirect my attention. During this whole process I purchased a harness off of ebay and it was never delivered, the money was refunded and this morning I bought a new harness. So when that comes in I will have more information.

Lastly, I noticed I couldn't get the motorcycle to change gears no matter how hard I tried to shift. Can anybody point me in a direction?

Comment

So just an update, I drove to Alabama to find the original owner and discuss the business of the title. He understood and was cool with signing an affidavit. Yesterday I got the title authorization from the DMV so I can put tags and insurance on it now.

I wanted to get that taken care of before I beat myself up over the wiring issues so now I can redirect my attention. During this whole process I purchased a harness off of ebay and it was never delivered, the money was refunded and this morning I bought a new harness. So when that comes in I will have more information.

Lastly, I noticed I couldn't get the motorcycle to change gears no matter how hard I tried to shift. Can anybody point me in a direction?

Grats on getting the title worked out. That sounded like a lot less work and cheaper than the bonded title option I've gone through.

Is it in gear now? Have you tried rolling it a little while shifting?

What's the oil look like?

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks, it was a little bit of work with the three hour drive but it cost me $18 for the title plus $50 for state tax. I'll pay that any day of the week vs the bonded title route.

The motorcycle is in neutral right now, i have not tried rolling it to change gears but will give it a shot tomorrow. As for the oil it is brand new, i couldn't give you the specs because i simply can't remember type and grade. When i first took possession of the motorcycle there was gas in the oil, most likely from the carbs that were really gummed up. So i let the oil drain for about a week before putting the fresh oil in.

Also, i was wondering is the harness the same for the 600/750? I've seen a ton of 750 harnesses for cheap but because I'm still new to two wheels i was reluctant to pull the trigger.

Comment

Thanks, it was a little bit of work with the three hour drive but it cost me $18 for the title plus $50 for state tax. I'll pay that any day of the week vs the bonded title route.

The motorcycle is in neutral right now, i have not tried rolling it to change gears but will give it a shot tomorrow. As for the oil it is brand new, i couldn't give you the specs because i simply can't remember type and grade. When i first took possession of the motorcycle there was gas in the oil, most likely from the carbs that were really gummed up. So i let the oil drain for about a week before putting the fresh oil in.

Also, i was wondering is the harness the same for the 600/750? I've seen a ton of 750 harnesses for cheap but because I'm still new to two wheels i was reluctant to pull the trigger.
                                No, not the same.

There are even some differences between the same cc and year models, but would still mostly work.

KRey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X