No announcement yet.
X

Another Helmet Story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it does look dang sexy doesn't it... i bet he gets all the hot babes.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
      at least i'm not riding around like this guy...

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY RIDING?!?!?!?!

Comment

Let's make a model :

There are 2 impacts :

1. when you hit the ground when you fall
        2. when you hit an object as you slide after the accident.

The impact number 1 is AS HARD , no matter what speed you are going at (according to physics). And it ALWAYS happens. It's worse if you hit something harder and if you are taller (or seating higher), that's all.

The impact number 2 is non existing if you stand steel or fall on a surface with no obstacles. But if you fall at 100 mph you have a longer slide therefore bigger chances to hit something with your head (hopefully helmet).

Therefore :

- wear your helmet even when you ride at low speeds

- the faster you go , the bigger the chance that you hit something hard with your had. And if you hit something like a wall, helmet or no helmet , you will damage your brain.

W.
        WittyMonkey
        ----------------------------------
        www.bostontechnologies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
          I'm at the point now where I've gotten so used to wearing a helmet I would feel like I was missing something if I were riding without one.
          My ex-company had their annual all-hands (corporate cheerleading party) at Sears Point. As part of a teambuilding thing they had a half-dozen rental cars for employees to drive (up to 4 in a car) around the track. They were just slow parade laps without helmets behind a track staff guide pace car.

Oops, I missed the leader's turnoff signal for my group to exit the track. Guess I'd better pick up the pace a bit, to catch up with the other group that's 1/2 lap ahead. I got all the way around to the Carousel before my group's pace car got out of the paddock and caught up with me.

The point of my story: It felt very, very strange to be driving (even at only three or four tenths) on a familiar racetrack without my helmet.

I always wear my helmet any time I ride farther than just moving bikes around in my driveway. My car's seat belt is the same way for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
            I'm at the point now where I've gotten so used to wearing a helmet I would feel like I was missing something if I were riding without one.
            My ex-company had their annual all-hands (corporate cheerleading party) at Sears Point. As part of a teambuilding thing they had a half-dozen rental cars for employees to drive (up to 4 in a car) around the track. They were just slow parade laps without helmets behind a track staff guide pace car.

Oops, I missed the leader's turnoff signal for my group to exit the track. Guess I'd better pick up the pace a bit, to catch up with the other group that's 1/2 lap ahead. I got all the way around to the Carousel before my group's pace car got out of the paddock and caught up with me.

The point of my story: It felt very, very strange to be driving (even at only three or four tenths) on a familiar racetrack without my helmet.

I always wear my helmet any time I ride farther than just moving bikes around in my driveway. My car's seat belt is the same way for the same reason.

Comment

I sure like wearing my helmet while skating at the skate park. I went today in full regalia (all of the pads I owned). I hadn't skated in a while, so I was slowly working my way up. Some kids wanted me to try out all of the ramps, pools, etc, that they had at the park with them, so I went (what the hell, I say to myself).

So, one of the kids (had to have been 10 or 11) climbs to the top of this huge, steep bowl and zooms down one side, up the other, and jumps a trashcan. Then he asked me to try. Sure thing. I climb up, skate down, and barely scramble over the other lip. The second try, I TOTALLY wiped out. Went head first into the other side. The kids all scrambled to the edge of the lip and looked down at me. I rolled onto my back, looked up at them, and said, "THIS is why you wear your helmet and have it clipped." I then heard several helmet clasps clipping into place. I have a shiner and a bump on my forehead, and that's not even where I hit my head! I still have a headache. I'm REALLY glad I wore my gear.

Oh, I tried the bowl again and cleared it easy, we then moved onto other things.

And that's my little story for the day.

Comment

Although, I have to admit I have had a few moments of stupidity and not wore a helmet. One very recently. 99.999% of the time I wear a helmet. Working in a hospital for the past 18 years has exposed me to alot of motorcycle related head injuries.

The most notable, young private home for leave. Takes his bike out for a quick spin less than and hour after being home. He couldn't find his helmet so went without one. Needless to say impact with a car, now he has the mentality of a gnat. He has been a patient in the VA for the last 20 years, 39 years old and someone has to do everything for him. Very blatant lesson I was exposed to, took care of him for 16 years, till I went to acute care. In the last 2 years have seen at least a half-dozen patients come through, that were military and no helmet accident. All are now permanent fixtures within the VA.

I make all the kids no matter the age wear a helmet when riding the pocket bike around the house. Don't care how old they are, my rules, and I control anything with two wheels in this household.

A simple head impact at even 1mph is potentially fatal. Yes lots of people have head injuries from falling while walking, but why raise the statistics for yourself by not wearing a helmet.

I have to agree no helmet, I'm not gonna ride with you. And Jimmy next time I do something that dumb, you can smack the living hell out of me. We all do stupid things sometimes without thinking, but a curt reminder by concerned friends and acquaintances goes a long way in extending our lifespan.
                One project done, now on to the next few!!
                Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Man you guys are F@@kin HOSTILE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                    I'm not sure what I was so hostile about... I was just relating my own helmet story. It happened today and I thought it was some-what relevant. My head is still throbbing, even after taking this massive Motrin.

I guess you could look at it in another light: We're all very protective of our friends, and we'd like y'all to stick around with us a little longer.

Comment

That was a beautiful story ironmark, but once again it is taking the scenario in my post completely out of context. I did not say I ride through a campground without a helmet while seizing. If I had seizures I wouldnt ride at all... ever. That would be suicidal.
                      If you like that one I have more. This particular individual has to wear his helmet at all times when ambulating. He has had more head trauma then probably anybody here. I think it is a small thing to put my helmet on when riding at any speed. If you can fall walking at 5mph and put your teeth completely through your lip what do you think will happen falling off a bike at 15mph?

Like yellowkat I was trying to compare potential head injury to potential head injury. nothing was taken out of context on this end. My point had nothing to do with seizing, seizing was just the cause of this gentlemans particular fall. My point was an impact at 5 mph can be just as bad as an impact at 50mph whether it is in a campground setting or not. I think the quote is "Better Safte Then Sorry."

Comment

Yo Skazner I'm on your side on this one, I myself have ridden around a campsite on my Kat and KZ up at Americade in NY and shit around my development , loved every minute of it...Like you said real slow...just something to do...As far as Indian Larry goes,his actions were the way he was brought up.the 60's and bikes were alot diff than today.Theres a time and a place for everything,the saftey police dont have to be around every corner.thats why we ride motorcycles isnt it? Everyone has there own sense so use it...remember alot of the high speed jerkoffs out there wear full gear including back braces and armor.....triple speeds and that gear will not help against any obsticle on the road.

Comment

I was coming back from University yesterday, my friend gave a ride home in his car, and right by the entrance on the highway there were a few bikers stopped on the side. The traffic was moving slowly and when we got a glimpse of what was going on there was a guy lying on the side of the road not even conscious. He didn't have a helmet, nor a jacket. His bike was trashed big time, could even make out what type it was, but it was a sports bike. The rear wheel got the 8-shape, the front was all on the side of the road. They were waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Yeah, very sad to see a guy like that lying unconscious just because he didn't wear his gear. This was a good example, I guess. Hope he's alive. BTW it happened on the HW 290 West in Chicago by UIC.

Comment

Originally posted by Caldus
                            Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                            I'm not sure what I was so hostile about... I was just relating my own helmet story. It happened today and I thought it was some-what relevant. My head is still throbbing, even after taking this massive Motrin.

I guess you could look at it in another light: We're all very protective of our friends, and we'd like y'all to stick around with us a little longer.
                            Sorry dude I didnt mean you ,I was just ranting on the argument on the whole..Be safe bud....

Comment

I have tried riding without the helmet before, I was up in Maine where there is no helmet law. I went for a quick spin down the road that my cottage was on and came back. I told myself "there I did it". I have to say, it was not a comfortable feeling without it on. I liked the feeling of the wind on my head, but I like living more. Helmet is on all the time. Thats they way it is for me.
                              RichC4
                              2000 Katana 600
                              Quote from my buddy who bought a 2005 Ducati after riding my Kat "I don't get it, why is your bike more fun"

Comment

Working...
                              X