X

Another Helmet Story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Helmet Story

Me and some friends met up for a ride to Roosevelt Dam in AZ. One guy brought a friend who shows up at the meeting spot with no helmet. He says he doesn't need one because yadda yadda yadda ...

We tell him" If you are coming with us, you are wearing a helmet."

So he goes back and gets his helmet. To make a long story short..
    We are southbound on hwy87 in a righthanded sweeper well into triple digits and his front tire goes flat (according to him .. I think he lost focus). He goes wide and along the guard and is eventually "dismounted" highside and slides and tumbles up the road at least 200ft with the bike still beating him up.

He walks away from this one with some good road rash on the knees but his helmet and leather jacket tell the story of what would have happened had he not wore them.

Wear you gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

He should have thanked you for saving his life!
    here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Well, it seems he cheated death and it was solely because of your intervention. Thank goodness your common sense prevailed.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

No one rides with me without gear- no exceptions and this is exactly why.

Comment

I always wear my gear, well at least helmet gloves and long pants and shirt.I know I'll probably get some flak for this but why is everybody conserned about what a fellow rider is wearing. I believe it is the riders choice. If he wants to be a chump let him,none of our business.As long as you the rider do what you think is right.We are not the saftey police even though its a no brainer to wear the proper gear. the more restrictions being put down on us and all this politically correct BS must come to an end at some point or we're doomed. But to say a person can't come riding in a group because he doen't have the proper gear on is a little to much. Like I said I know certain people will get alittle upitty with the riders choice issue but everyone is an individual and should be treated as such whether you like it or not.

Comment

I agree with slayergsxf1. Going triple digit speeds is dangerous as well, but noone seemed to mind that.
            What the deuce!?!

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
              I always wear my gear, well at least helmet gloves and long pants and shirt.I know I'll probably get some flak for this but why is everybody conserned about what a fellow rider is wearing. I believe it is the riders choice. If he wants to be a chump let him,none of our business.As long as you the rider do what you think is right.We are not the saftey police even though its a no brainer to wear the proper gear. the more restrictions being put down on us and all this politically correct BS must come to an end at some point or we're doomed. But to say a person can't come riding in a group because he doen't have the proper gear on is a little to much. Like I said I know certain people will get alittle upitty with the riders choice issue but everyone is an individual and should be treated as such whether you like it or not.
              It's bad enough hearing of a friend's death on a bike...do you actually want to witness one?
              ...plus out of pure laziness, if the guy is scratched up he can still take the bike home himself (if it still runs, etc.) If he breaks a limb or something cause he wasn't wearing proper gear, everyone riding with him would have to make sure the bike is taken care of while he gets a comfy ride to emergency! It's great that everybody is an individual, but one person's actions will tend to spread out to affect at least one other person, unless you are a hermit, and then you only affect the atmosphere/critters-in-the-area/the ground that you walk on/the plants you pick to eat/etc, etc

sorry about the rant...btw my parents think I'm too individualistic! LOL
              PakkeRat - [pak*rat] small little mouse capable of collecting everything and never throwing anything away

Comment

Originally posted by PakkeRat
                It's bad enough hearing of a friend's death on a bike...do you actually want to witness one?
                ...plus out of pure laziness, if the guy is scratched up he can still take the bike home himself (if it still runs, etc.) If he breaks a limb or something cause he wasn't wearing proper gear, everyone riding with him would have to make sure the bike is taken care of while he gets a comfy ride to emergency! It's great that everybody is an individual, but one person's actions will tend to spread out to affect at least one other person, unless you are a hermit, and then you only affect the atmosphere/critters-in-the-area/the ground that you walk on/the plants you pick to eat/etc, etc

sorry about the rant...btw my parents think I'm too individualistic! LOL
                I understand with what your saying. I was riding with my best friend he was also wearing the proper gear, missed a turn at around 65 or 70 and that was it. Air lifted, a foot of his small intestine taken out as well as his spleen. 4 pints of blood in his stomach.
                So I know what its like to see a rider as well as a friend on the laying road. Again I'm just saying riders choice...My Lord even the AMA agrees with the fact...A helmet is not going to save you in every circumstance one must know his limitations and not ride in the triple didgits as posted earlier,if you know what I mean.I know that the guy in the earlier post was a squid and probably rode like an asshole without a helmet,shit he probably had shorts and a wife beater on besides, and I probably wouln't want to ride with him either,,,,but he is an idividual and we have to respect that hard as it is.....And remember a rider down no matter what he or she is wearing will effect a days ride in any situation.

Comment

Like I said I know certain people will get a little upitty with the riders choice issue but everyone is an individual and should be treated as such whether you like it or not.
                  I understand where you are coming from. I realize it can be perceived as snooty or condecending to encourage other riders to wear helmets, leathers etc. In AZ all you legally need to wear is eye protection on a motorcycle.

Bamarama, as for the triple digit speeds. I can make no excuses for that. A rider assumes a higher risk at higher speeds, no doubt.

The point of the post was to demonstrate the value of protective gear and the amount of injury that can be reduced or prevented by wearing your gear.
                  Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

Nuff said

Comment

I kinda need my head for... you know... thinking, living, wearing a hat

Always wear a FULL FACE helmet no matter what. If you're only gonna wear one piece of gear (which I don't recommend), that's the one to pick.

As for triple digits on a public road. C'mon guys, ride safe. It sure is a rush to go that fast, but fork over the $$$ and save those speeds for the track. I was driving down the FL Tpke over the weekend (in my car) and there was a mattress in the center lane. You never know what obstacles you're gonna encounter on a public road.

I like riding, but I think I like living more. Besides, being alive sure makes it easier to ride
                      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

You want to ride with someone that has no gear, your choice. No matter to me at all. I will not do so. Why? Quite simply because to me, that is damned near the equivalent to accessory to neglegent homocide if someone kills themselves. I really don't like to pick up bikes out of ditches either, but I would much rather do that than bodies.

It's YOUR choice to wear what you want. It's MY choice to ride with you.
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I think it was a good call letting him know that you all wear your gear and you expect the same from those that ride with you. If he doesnt want to wear it, thats his call and he doesnt have to ride with you. He could have easily left and said the hell with it, but he obviously wanted to ride with you so he agreed and got his lid, and you can bet your stars he's glad he did. Perhaps this will help him in the future to remember who could have happened.

You cant ever force anyone to wear gear no matter how much you believe in it, but the fact that you suggested shows you care enough about his life and being responsible to tell him.

Comment

That reminds me of this one time , we were leaving for this school trip to France , and before we left , I had this dream that the plane blew up , and ....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              That reminds me of this one time , we were leaving for this school trip to France , and before we left , I had this dream that the plane blew up , and ....
                              And I had this camera that when it took pictures they would show.............
                              here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
                              http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Working...
                              X