No announcement yet.
X

Wahooooo!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang, wish I thought of that. I'll keep it in mind in case I ever have to mess with the floats again!

Edit: work sucks...home way late so no pic updates. Was able to fit the calipers and measure for spacers/longer mounting bolts. So here's the kicker:

GSXR wheel + GSXR rotors + b12 calipers DOES NOT work. The OD on the GSXR and bandit rotors are the same, so in theory it looks good. However the mounting point on the fork legs must be slightly different on the Kat than on the bandit. The calipers sit on top of the rotors and the attachment points are ~10mm off.

Solution: pre Kat rotors. The 600 and 750 use the same rotors, so it doesn't matter which you get. The OD on these is 290mm. Meaning they'll sit 10mm lower.
    GSXR rotor:

Prekat rotor:

comparison:

I actually ran into this about 2 weeks ago, but wanted to get the pre rotors ordered/in/installed before saying anything. Did that yesterday. They DO work. You need about 8mm in spacers on either side to account for the different offsets, so a few washers.

Mounted up:

spacers needed:

You'll also need longer bolts (10x1.25x45mm), as the stock ones don't have much to grip with those spacers in. No custom fabbed adapters needed.

So for anyone else doing a 17" swap:
    '91 GSXR 750 wheel + pre Kat rotors + '98 B12 calipers + some washers/new bolts = happiness

For spacers I used 10mm washers, hardened steel. I'm using hardened steel washers for all the spacers as opposed to regular washers. Having them deform or compress could lead to something loosening up over time and I'd rather not have a caliper or axle bolt fall off at 80mph on the freeway. 5 washers each for the top and bottom mounting point, for each side, for a total of 20 washers. I was unable to locally get the bolts in the correct length, so I bought longer ones and trimmed them to size. Stock bolts are 37mm, I ended up cutting mine to 47mm. 45mm is a common enough length so you should be able to source those locally or via the interwebs and not have to cut anything down. At 47mm I have about 1mm protruding. If you went with 45mm, I don't think missing 1mm of tread is going to result in anything bad.
    Still need to rebuild the MCs and get brake lines. The stock bandit lines (came with my calipers) are not the correct length, the 2 lines going up to the splitter are too short so the splitter cannot attach to anything. In another thread I saw that the stock Kat lines would be too short with bandit calipers by about 1". I loosely lined things up, and yeah, looks too short. So new SS lines from G&J will be happening. I'm wanting to go with a 2 line set up. I know they've made the 3 line set up before on stock configuration, so adding 1" to that shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they can figure out the 2 line configuration.

Getting shafted at work, next two weeks I'm having to do 6 day weeks, so not sure how much progress I'll be able to make. End of the month 1st ride possibility fading a bit.

EDIT:
    pics now up through post 55
    Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Able to make some progress today. The 600 needed a new shoe so that took priority but once I got that squared away, went over to my parents and started removing various bits and bobs.
      Pulled the carbs so I can install the 49 state jetting.
      Pulled the rear wheel so I can replace the bearings and get the new sprocket (via 7th gear designs) installed. Pulled the front sprocket cover to A) have access to that sprocket for replacement and B) rebuild the slave cylinder for the clutch.
      Pulled all the hydrolic lines. With the swap to bandt calipers, the lines are too short. The bandit lines that came with the calipers are also too short, so I guess that confirms what I thought earlier: different caliper mounting points on the forks for the 1100 and B12. All brake and clutch lines being sent to G&J. Wild bill used them for 1100 lines, but they don't have that info anymore. Hoping to get those in the mail Tuesday morning. I'm hoping they can take the lines and measurements I send, and make a 2 line set up for the front.

Since I only had a few hours I was pulling things off that I can work on back at the apartment. Got the bearings on the rear wheel out/in. Still have to get the bearings on the hub though. Got carb #1 squared away with the new jets. By next weekend, I hope to have the sprocket mounted to the hub, new bearings in the hub, all carbs re-jetted. That way next Sunday / Monday I can just reinstall everything.
      Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Bearings on hub replaced.

Edit:
        Rear sprocket that came with the RF600 rim/hub removed. Whomever had this thing before me apparently never heard of loctite. It's got a sunstar sprocket on it, so aftermarket, meaning the original was replaced at some point by the PO. And this individual didnt want the nuts on the sprockets to come loose. Ever. So he peened the ends of the bolts. F. M. L.
        So that took way more doing than I was expecting, including running all the bolts through a dye afterwards, and running a tap through the nuts. Once I finished that up, I could FINALLY install my new rear sprocket. 50t, steel, and 530 as opposed to the stock 52/532. With the stock tire/sprocket size and the set up I'll have, the output should be almost identical, only off by .3% according to gearingcommander.com. Sprocket via 7Th gear designs/GSFXJim.

Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 08:56 PM.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Over the weekend, got the 49 state jetting installed, and put the carbs and rear wheel back on the bike. Pulled the front sprocket cover so I can install that, and also rebuild the clutch slave cylinder. Have a question about that actually.

Rebuild kit:

slave cylinder:

piston is a bear to get out, but be careful with it - rebuild kits don't come with a new one.

piston out - holy crap this is nasty in here

Honed the cylinder:

About to reinstall. The oil seal that comes in the kit is the one that the clutch push rod inserts into.

remove the plate that holds the seal in:

pop out the old seal:

new one goes in, and you're good to go.

Nasty looking thing, glad I'm being preemptive on this one. Made sure to hone it well, that certainly seems to make a difference per Wild-Bill's 2 burned out clutches. Scrubbed everything down and it's all surprisingly nice and shiny. Never woulda thought that looking at it as I disassembled everything. Getting the old seal off/new seal on is a PITA. Was originally hoping to get this + the new front sprocket and chain installed this coming weekend, but my uncle just passed away, funeral set for Saturday. It's been a long time since he rode (since he was younger than I am now actually) but still leaving the passenger pegs on the 600 down...

**Edit was able to figure out that question. The extra piece I was wondering about is an oil seal.
          Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 09:12 PM.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Been slacking...
            Last weekend, got the slave cylinder rebuilt and reinstalled. Got the new chain installed. Pulled the clutch and brake MCs to rebuild at home.
            Last night got the clutch MC apart and cleaned up. Purdy dirty in there... Had fun getting the circlip out, my snap ring pliers didn't fit far enough down so had to get creative. Hoping to reassemble tonight after work.

Clutch MC and rebuild kit:

dissembly:

clean out the reservoir, and make sure to get the pressure relief hole:

reassembling:

Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 09:18 PM.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Sup KR

Finished up those MC rebuilds tonight. Gotta say, the front brake MC is way easier than the clutch MC. The throat on the clutch one/where the lever joins in is a deeper recess, making it a bitch to get to the snap ring. On the brake side, easy access. Anyways, both are now good to go. Cleaned, torn down, cleaned more, rebuilt, and reassembled. Re-installing on the bike tomorrow. Brake/clutch lines should be getting installed on Monday, along with putting fluid into the system. Or at least starting to, we'll see how much bleeding it takes. Tomorrow I'm also aiming to get the steering stem bearings replaced. There's a super big notch, not sure how the PO put up with it. I aim to get some more pics posted up tomorrow night as well, fingers crossed for a productive weekend!

EDIT - more pics up.
              Last edited by shpielers; 10-20-2014, 03:36 AM.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

So once again, didn't get quite as much done as hoped for. This time weather played a bit of a role. Got the MCs reinstalled, new SS lines connected up and routed, (that rear brake line...just a pain...) and...it started to rain. So no go on getting fluid into the systems. Even if I was in a garage, I wouldn't want to be messing with brake fluid when the humidity is that high. Outside where rain can directly fall into the reservoir as I'm filling/bleeding? No thanks. So while waiting out the rain, I set up my coil relay mod.

Hold the flaming for a second!! (I'm looking at you Junker and Jim)

Since I currently don't have a garage, I can't pull the wiring harness and give it the going through it really needs/deserves. It's looking to be about 9 months before I'm back in a place that has a garage and I can do that. So in the meantime, I'm going to run the coil relay. The bike started fine whenever I tried to before tearing into it. But it's a 22+ year old harness. Just so I don't have to worry about start issues for the next few months I'm doing this. Once I've got garage access, I will be removing the harness, cleaning/repairing/rewiring/etc and likely removing the coil relay.

For those who don't know, a coil relay bypasses the wiring harness and basically puts juice directly to the coils from the battery. If you have starting issues due to low voltage at the coils, it is best to go through connection by connection, find the voltage drops, and clean/repair the weak points. Doing a relay mod bypasses these, but you still have the old harness with weak points in it.

Moving on - Got the left fork spaced trimmed 10cm once the rain stopped. Next weekend, pull the right fork, trim spacer, pull the rest of the front end off, and get those steering stem bearings taken care of. And I'd like to get the clutch bled so I can get the bike in gear and tighten down the nut on the front sprocket. I'm going to try to at least start that in the morning before work this week. Since the whole system is empty, it'll take some time, so 1/2 hour here and 1/2 hour there is a nice way to break it up.

I also need to get a new phone cable to get more pics off it. Lost my tank bag (which had my charger amongst many other things) last weekend due to user fuckup, only cable I currently have is a cheap knockoff one that charges (slowly) and won't do data transfer. I've currently updated posts with pics as much as I'm able until I get said new cable.

Wow, long update that doesn't really say much. Can you tell I'm procrastinating?
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

couple of tips Shpielers, use dot 5 brake fluid as it silicone based so not hydroscopic, as for tightening the front sprocket, let the chain take the strain by putting a bar through the back wheel and let it but up against the swing arm, saves having 3 arms and legs
                  If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I had no idea DOT5 wasn't hydroscopic, that's awesome! I flush my brakes every 6 months now to avoid water contamination, wouldn't mind not having to do that as often.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Jebus, I know why more people don's use DOT5, expensive stuff! Using it anyways. Figure if I normally do a $5 bottle of DOT4 every 6 months, this stuff should pay for itself after a year and a half. So if I replace every 2 years, I'm out ahead on $ and lots more so on time. Thanks for the tip Loco!

Got fluid in the clutch and front brake systems yesterday. Wasn't able to use my prefered method of C-clamping the pistons in as the bandit calipers didn't have the clearance required for the clamps I have. So loooooots of bleeding... The DOT 5 I picked up is from Bel-Ray, only option at the store I was at. It's purple. Very weird.
                      Also got the front sprocket nut tightened down and clutch cover reinstalled. Today: after probably 10 hours of internet searching and phone calls, found a +3 degree advancer. Woot! So...if anyone wants to buy a new in package +5 I have one available (reminder - I have a CA spec bike, so the timing is set to 7, not the usual 4. So for me, running an extra 5 degrees seemed like it would be pushing it a bit too much.)
                      Heading over to the parents place to work on the steering stem bearings (only done those ones before, sucked!!) and fork spacers. And a little more bleeding on the clutch/front brakes, probably add fluid and start bleeding the rear.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Unless you have brake problems just leave the fluid in as there will now be zero corrosion
                        If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Awesome, good to know!
                          So doing those bearings a second time is definitely easier than it was the first. At least this time I knew what I was in for. Still took forever though. Old ones definitely have visible wear on them, glad they're being replaced.

front end off the bike:

pulling the bearings. Just a lil notched eh?

Still have teeny bubbles coming out when bleeding and the brake lever isn't nearly as firm as I'd like, but getting there. Have some serious clutch drag (sigh...) but since I'm not 100% on bleeding, I'm hopeful that will improve. Haven't gone into the clutch basket to file down things, that could help too. Also could just be striction at this point, motor hasn't been run since July. Turned it over by hand a few times, and will do a few more when installing the ignition advancer and a few more before actually attempting to fire it up. At any rate, I'm not going to worry about the clutch drag yet, seems kinda par for the course for several guys on here with more mechanical ability than I even after rebuilding/honing/SS lines/synthetic fluid.
                          Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 09:24 PM.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Steering stem bearings done. Almost massively F'd up, placed the bottom bearing outer race upside down and was j u s t about to start driving it in when I noticed. That would not have been cool.
                            Front end reassembled. Didn't get to correcting the fork spacers, so I'll have to take it all apart again, but didn't want to leave it for a week and a half somewhat precariously balanced.
                            Need to: get those spacers trimmed, bleed more, and get turn signals installed. Then...then I can fire her up...
                            Won't be at 100%, but will be safely rideable.
                            Last edited by shpielers; 11-09-2014, 06:07 AM.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Wahooooo!!
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Had a few hours free to get some work done - did more bleeding, got a lot of at out of the rear, feels nice and firm now. Clutch lever feels a bit better. Front brakes are better but still have room for improvement. Pulled 1 fork off for spacer trimming and brought it back the the apartment as it was already starting to get dark. (Thanks daylight savings...) also finally picked up a new phone cord so I can finally transfer more pics off it and get them uploaded.

Hoping to get the fork I brought home done and reinstalled before next weekend, maybe even pull off the other fork and bring it home as well.
                                1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                                X