X

Katana forums live! Chain question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana forums live! Chain question...

i had forgotten about this site and just found the link in my browser..i have to say i was disappointed when kp went down, but it seems everything is alive and well over here...and all the regulars from KP are on board!

i have a chain question...it seems i will have to replace mine...the first year i never lubed it at all and now every time i adjust the tension it gets loose real fast...as in way too much slack...so either i'm not tightening all the nuts and bolts correctly or the chain is just messed up...

so if i order a new one what should i get? are they all the same or are there performance chains and where would i order from? also wondering if i should change the front sprocket to increase accelleration and if so what size and where to order?

Varrus.

You never lubed it??? how many kms/miles did you put on the bike like that?

You should be cleaning and lubing it on a regular basis, I did mine weekly.

You say it get's loose fast, is it also reddish? not rusty, but a reddish/orange film on it? if so the o-rings may be shot. Is it binding at all, any siezed links?

Get some kerosene (to clean the new one)
    Some chain wax (for the new one)

DID & RK are the names I know, check Ebay for a deal or anywhere online really.

BTW welcome to KR
    Kyle

Comment

if its getting loose right away..its toast (no doubt about it in my mind)

change your sprockets at the same time.

do a search...lots of people have responded to similar threads....

Oh...good to see you back...Another Canuck!

Comment

What you need to know:

CyberPoet's Motorcycle Chain - Wear and Maintenance page. Includes how to tell if you chain is stretched, seals are bad, etc.

OEM Chain Lookup: CyberPoet's Katana Family Tree - Specs & Measurements for '88 - '05 Kat 600 & 750

OEM Chain is:
        #530 Sealed O-Ring chain
        (RK 50MF0Z1), 118 Links

If you chain is that bad, you will need to replace both sprockets at the same time. If you want to change sprocket ratios, read this:

CyberPoet's Katana-Spec ific Sprocket Ratio Page and CyberPoet's General Motorcycle Sprocket Math and Sprocket Ratios page

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I lube my chain every hundred miles or so..and every 400-500..clean it w/ kerosene and lube it up nice. preventive maint. goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by N4S750
            I lube my chain every hundred miles or so..and every 400-500..clean it w/ kerosene and lube it up nice. preventive maint. goes a long way.
            Umm....that is alot, isn't it? On a good day I can put 2-300 miles on my bike. If I was doing the same as you, I would have to stop several times.
            If the weather is nice and dry and I am not on any dusty roads, I can go a while before lubing....but I try to make it a habit of doing it one a week or so. Put it this way...a can of lube can do me pretty much the summer. maybe a can and a half.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              Originally posted by N4S750
              Umm....that is alot, isn't it? On a good day I can put 2-300 miles on my bike. If I was doing the same as you, I would have to stop several times.
              If the weather is nice and dry and I am not on any dusty roads, I can go a while before lubing....but I try to make it a habit of doing it one a week or so. Put it this way...a can of lube can do me pretty much the summer. maybe a can and a half.
              Depends heavily on the use and the environment. I lube mine up at least once every fill-up when doing road-trips (permatex makes a small chain oil spray in a can that will fit readily under the seat), and more often than that when I'm just around the area... Since I use oil, the excess flings off (or drips off, since I usually park for the night and lube at that time after a longer run around the area -- while the chain is warm), carrying sand and crud away. If the chain is dry to the touch, it's too dry, IMHO. But I get extremely long use out of my chains compared to most (OEM one lasted 21k miles on my previous '00 Kat 600).
              For that 1100 beast you're building, I'd give serious consideration to getting a pro-oiler, since the bike will want to eat through chains like they're going out of style.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Range knows about loose chains on kats, doesn't he???

we were out for a ride and his chain was so loose I could hear it slapping the swing arm Good thing nothing happened on the trip back home...

Comment

Working...
                X