Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New to forum and extremely new to bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum and extremely new to bikes...

First and foremost, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Andrew, from Edison, NJ. Primary hobby is Jeepin and wheeling, this is a whole new ballgame, so bare with me!

Never thought I'd own one, but yesterday I picked up a 1998 Suzuki Katana 600 w/ 8,000 miles on the engine. It was a spare of the moment kind of thing, and I got it for next to nothing. Although it does have a few issues. It's from a friend of mine and has a clean title. It was stolen and recovered, theif's did a number on it:

- Obligerated ignition. Ripped off and apart, but able to turn it on and off with a screwdriver.

- Right side of the handlebar is slightly bent from when they dropped it.

- Lens on the right side fering is busted.

- Needed a new battery (bought one and killed it already from trying to start it)

- Needs blinker bulb on the right side rear.

Here is my biggest issue. The throttle is stuck and will not move freely. As will the choke (I'm guessing the [/] symbol on the left handlebar is the choke?) it wont move from that lever. It will crank and crank and crank, but won't turn over. Checked compression, good. Checked plugs, good. Checked for spark, good. New battery as well. The bike supposely sat for awhile so I think this weekend I am going to drain the gas and re-fuel. Like I said though, the accelerator cable is stuck, as is the choke.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I joined a Jeep forum back in 1998 and am pretty much a master tech from just being with the forum community. I hope I get the same out of this.

Replace the choke cable and the handlebar.
    That will get it running and should free up the throttle as well
    The rest just sounds cosmetic.

Ebay should have the new parts you need cheap.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Welcome,
      when you replace the cables make sure they are routed so that there is no binding. Make sure you can freely turn your handlebars and nothing strange happens like your engine revs... once you get it running again.

Comment

Big SoCal welcome to the addiction!

Other than the cable everything sounds cosmetic, just like HD said. You'll find lots of parts on eBay and all the knowledge you'll ever need here.
        sigpic

Comment

Is there anyway to free up the throttle cable and choke cable to manually control the choke on and off? Also to manually control the throttle, kind of like a butterfly on a car or truck? Just to see this thing run...

Comment

Wow! You've got your hands full.

I'd remove the gas tank and inspect the throttle cable mechanism, choke, clutch, etc. By removing the tank and side fairings you will be able to see at a glance quiet a few details.

I don't think that you have a service, shop manual for this bike, Do you?

I'd get a manual first, before experimenting, perhaps some of the mechanical experts here can chime in, unfortunately I'm not one of them, but good luck to you though.
            2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
            2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
            2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

Had the gas tank off, pulled each plug, checked each one and they looked fine, had spart on each one. I also traced the choke cable and it doesnt seem like the lever on the handlebar is doing ANYTHING at all. There is a metal bar that goes across all four carbs that I assume it's supposed to move in and out of position, but the lever wasn't doing it. I tried doing it manually in both positions and attempting to start it, but nothing.

The throttle cable seems like its seized up at the handlebar, it won't turn at all. When I look into the gas tank I see a metal rod about 1/8" thick... does this mean I am extremely low on gas? Should I empty and re-fuel, or just try adding some?

Comment

Yeah, pretty low in fuel.

Also, look at the throttle cable and pulley at the handle bar, it's secured by a couple screws and easy to inspect.
                2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
                2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
                2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
                2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

I took that apart and looked at it, couldn't see any real problem with the assembly except the fact it won't turn!

Comment

first step is to replace the choke cable and handlebar. When you disconnect all of the cables you should be able see if the carbs open and close freely.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Welcome. Ride safe, and enjoy fixin your new bike up.
                      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem getting the bike ready. Congrats. Welcome to the addiction.
                        Last edited by Zepp; 02-27-2008, 09:57 PM.
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm betting that if you remove the throttle assembly from the handle bar (two screws and off it comes) the binding will diminish.

Next since you had the tank off, do that again, and pull the carb end of the choke cable off. It's super easy. If you can't figure it out by looking at it:
                          Pull the choke rail to the left (full choke)
                          Use the slack that should now be in the cable to slip the sheath loose of the notch, out it comes. Unhooking the end from the choke rail is the real PIA. Now you can activate the choke manually. (moving the rail) and figure out if the cable is busted..

Comment

Did you put it on prime first? I bet there's no gas in the bowls.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              Did you put it on prime first? I bet there's no gas in the bowls.

Good one..

Comment

Working...
                              X