No announcement yet.
X

Wahooooo!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately I can't get the bike inside. There's two 90* turns I'd have to make, and the hallway is too narrow. I sure as shit would if I could though
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Gave the bike a walk around, making sure bolts and nuts were all tightened down - good thing, as both bolts to the rear brake arm were loose. Oops...after that, popped off the ignition advancer cover, turned the motor by hand for a time or 30, put the cover back on, and put some fuel in the carbs. She fired up nicely . It's been...I dunno...9 months since she last ran?felt good to hear. Lots of smoke, LOTS. Some from all the grease/oil/WD-40 burning off, some from the paint on the headers (guess the heat gun didn't really cure the paint...) Ran the bike for a few minutes, let it cool off a bit, run some more, cool, rinse, repeat etc. Idle was holding fairly steady at ~1200 rpm before spiking up to ~3k.

Didn't have anything to look for air leaks with me, so next week I'll be busting out the starter fluid. I'm reasonably sure it's an air leak anyways. Issue appeared after the engine was nice and hot. + I got a few back (or is it after?) fires out the exhaust, so that I believe means it's running lean, and I've got nice big fat air leak(s) somewhere. I've got a few days off coming up so I'll have time to hunt around for it.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Got several air leaks identified. Some were loose caps on the lines I installed to aid in future carb syncs ( hose barbs were 3/16, caps were 1/4". Doh!!) Also found that the boots to the airbox aren't sealing 100% on the airbox side. Pulled the airbox, and took a look see. I always thought those boots were 1 piece with the airbox...kinda dumb of me. Hard plastic doesn't magically change to soft rubber...
        Anyways, I figure I've got 2 options: buy new boots, or try to make what I've got work. Decided to give option 2 a try. If it doesn't work, easy enough to undue what im doing and get new boots.
        Popped out the boots, and used a bit of rtv sealant, and popped them back in. They've been drying since Thursday night, hope to pop things back on the bike and see how she goes on Sunday. Don't really see how this wouldn't work for sealing off those airleaks. Yeah, the boots are now more or less permenatly attached to the airbox, but...I've never messed with them on any other bike I've had so...I don't see that as being a huge issue...it's a gamble, but I believe the odds to be heavily in my favor.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Hey - great write-up and inspiration for redoing my 1100. It's been a few months since you've posted on this project.

How's it going?

Comment

• Don't make me cry, it's been a couple months since I could touch the bike. Started a new job 2 months ago with an even worse commute than my last one, currently trying to buy a house to allievate said commute, and have a girlfriend who sucks free time faster than a Hoover.

My 600 has ~110k miles on it now, REALLY want to get the 1100 finished up so I can take the 600 down before it dies on me and swap in the engine (1127 ) I bought 6 months ago. With how busy I've been, pretty much any free time goes into just doing maintenance on the 600 or sleeping.

If I can get a house, it'll have a garage. And in a garage, I will be able to work on it day or night. (Well, most things. Don't want to run the engine at 2am while looking for vac leaks and piss off new neighbors). SOOOOOO looking forward to that.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Hey man...it's all good! Just checking in!

Mine's all apart too, but my only excuse is being busy, with a good helping of laziness on top

Good luck with the transition. I'm sure it will all work out soon.

Getting things in order kinda reminds me of this:

Comment

• No bike update, still haven't touched it since March
                But I did end up buying a house. So one day, some day...when I have free time and it isn't getting sucked down by making the very-much-a-starter-home liveable, this will be finished. As will earlier mentioned 600 to 1127 swap. Although since new job pays way better...I might just pull the head (on the engine to swap Into the 600) and drop it at holeshot. Only an hour away from me...

Bike for this thread was last touched when sealing up the boots to the airbox. So still just need to look for additional air leaks, deal with them, and sync carbs. And figure out why the F the brakes - with new SS lines and rebuilt calipers and master - are complete mush. Next free weekend I get, I'm going to go to my parents, charge the battery, start it up, load it into my truck, and take her home so I can work on her without having to travel an hour each way. If there's air leaks/unsynced carbs...it'll still power up the ramps Into the truck. (hopefully it'll stop before the front wheel is in the cab...)
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Hey Shpielers, when you get back to your bike I'd like to know some thing. I'm wondering what the bearing spacing is on that old GSXR wheel, EDIT: On my Kat 600-750 rim, It came out to 89mm. Just wondering if a Katana 600 or 750 front wheel may fit.
                  Last edited by katanarider; 03-18-2019, 04:20 AM.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• Bump

Comment

• Sorry...I bought a house that turned into WAY more of a fixer upper than anticipated... Poor girl has been sitting untouched in the driveway for a year and a half, with only minor tinkering the year before that....
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• My 600 carbs need to be rebuilt now. Cheaper for me to finish up the 1100, unless the motor isn't any good. As far as I know, I just need a few gaskets, new screws and a tune up. Been wondering about yours since we basically got ours around the same time.

Comment

Working...
                        X