No announcement yet.
X

Tried some vinyl paint on my seat - mixed results

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never would have thought of painting the seat. I recovered mine with vinyl from the fabric store. I used a halogen lamp to heat the vinyl, 4 clamps to hold it while I stretched it, then once it was stretched, it took two of us to hold it AND staple it at the same time.

I have a hint of slack in one place near the front of the saddle, but not enough that I ever notice it anymore.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Comment

vinyl needs to be cleaned very, very, very well in order to be dyed. The slighest hint of moisture or oily substance and this will result.

Comment

hey, my kat was just like yours except 600. same color, and i just spray painted the seats like you did
        and i must tell you, it looks great!! looks like new.
        and all it took was 5 minutes of my time and 5 dollars off my wallet. awesome!! thanx man.

Comment

I dyed my seat a few years ago and found that the black would fade after a few weeks. Got tired of reapplying the dye so I turfed the old seat and bought new material for cheap$$$.

All it takes is a little patience.
          Drive faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Comment

seat dying

Yeah I'm not so sure that the seat will ever really take a dye or paint, it gets or should get used too much for it to really stay sharp for any period of time. I would say for the hassles of prepping, painting/dying----it would be more cost effective to just have the seat reupholstered! It can't be too much I don't think.

Comment

I'm over 10K miles on my painted seat and it looks like the day I painted it, well except for a couple of spots where the tail bag just rubbed it to death. However after looking around at other prices it may have been cheaper to just recover the seat with marine vinyl! But it's done and I'm more than happy with the results!
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
              Black painted seat and rear trim,
              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...