X

Pre 600 fairing/mesh mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
    Okay I started doing a little bit of rough cutting and measuring. This is gonna be fun keeping it stock. I'm still working out in my head how to make things come together so it might take some time. One of the things I'm kinda having a problem working out is how to get a good smooth bend inward like the factory fairing. I'm talking about the 3/8"-1/2" bend inward around the perimeter. That's going to be necessary for two reasons. To tie everything together and for strenght. Any ideas?
    Kreylyn: I know ya said no torch but I haven't been to town yet to get the heat gun...going tomorrow though. LOL.
    On a test piece of abs being very careful I got it to bend pretty easy. the main thing is keeping it straight and uniform. Maybe if i clamp it between to pieces of wood and heat it with the heat gun while putting pressure...maybe that'll work. Sort of like a vinyl siding break. Anyways that's as far as I got so far. Should have time to work on it again tomorrow. In the mean time, it's time to hit tha sack.

Hey, give it a try... sounds like that approach might work out pretty well with the torch if your careful... What's the worst that happens?... You do it over with a new piece?

A thought on the sides... cut slim strips, and using the ABS... cement them to the side at the angle you need. When cured, you can sand smooth. Kind of like "welding" the sides on...

Or... using heat you can put in a bend all along the edges, but that might be harder to get it to stay straight and not look pretty warped.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      A thought on the sides... cut slim strips, and using the ABS... cement them to the side at the angle you need. When cured, you can sand smooth. Kind of like "welding" the sides on...

Krey
      That's a good idea that I haven't thought of. Might actually work better.

Also, after looking at it. When i do the notching, I'm also going to have to double up on the final thickness of abs to bring it up level with the rest of the fairing. Cause if I let it overlap on the bottom there will be like a 1/16" difference and it needs to be smooth. Definitely going to think about the strips if bending doesnt work. Thanks.

Comment

Okay I finally got started. Piece of white ABS.

Did some cutting with a jig saw to get a rough piece just to start with. I made it a little longer so I could trim it off where needed later. It actually had to be heated with a heat gun so I could somewhat mold it to the shape of the frame that protrudes from the fairing.

This was probably the hardest part for me. I kinda hated to cut perfectly good fairings just to be different. I actually kept the pieces in case I changed my mind later. LOL. Now where did I put them? JK.

This is the piece of ABS notched out to fit the fairings. With the notches es a little shorter it makes the ABS sort of bow out and clear the frame. I can actually see something taking shape now.

Here you can see the bow.

From a distance. Can kind of get an idea what it's going to look like now!

More pics later. Got to get the kids to school and me to work.
        What's everyone think?

Comment

Very cool....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Very cool....

Krey
            It's a diamond in the rough as they say. It also is a little wide for the look I was going for. The first mock up pics is the way I liked it. You really can't see the edge in the pics where it turns down like the rest of the fairing. I used the heat gun to gradually heat up the abs to get the bend right. I think I'm going to cut it down and make it narrower then take your advice Kreylyn and cut some strips and glue them on to get the turn down angle I'm looking for. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it again tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X