X

Not a kat build: 85 XJ550 to a chopper/bobber

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a kat build: 85 XJ550 to a chopper/bobber

its not a KAT, and I normally don't show bike projects but this one has come quite a long way. About 2 years ago I bought a XJ550 with intention of chopping it and testing my fab skills..

Well life stalled the build for quite a while ( new son was born, and other "life" events always got in the way ) Well today I got back on the project and thought I would share what I have done. I have quite a few pics, but these are just a very small few to show what was done.

To start, the frame was chopped off right behind the engine and a new one built using DOM tubing, slugs at the frame joints ( old to new frame ) and gussets all around.

anyway....

Start of day 1: bike all together.

End of day 2. Rear swing arm supported and cut getting ready for the stretch. most parts removed:

End of day 6. Yup LOTS of work over the 4 days:

quick shot of the pipe joining and gussets on day 6:

Around day 10: lots cleaned up, primer on to keep rust at bay.

Then it sat for quite a bit ( this is when life hit, funny how this happens ) I was finally able to get back in the garage and start putting a few things back on, Testing fitments, figuring out how the wiring will run. LOL carbs needs a SERIOUS rebuild. etc. etc. I have to build the exhaust and a whole slew of other small things. I am fixing what needs to be fixed. But the end goal is more of a rat rod chopper..

And for good measure, the Kat and the yami side by side:

anyway just thought I would share. :rider:
    '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Beautiful work, I can't wait to see its progress

Comment

Very cool. And very nice work aswell.

Comment

More updates would be cool...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

LOL I have the seat Ver. 1.0 done but the rear needs to flow better with the fender + add support. So ver 1.1 is soon.

But the Kat build took priority. just a few more mods to the kat and it should be done for the summer. LOL hopefully the winter brings P+P on the head, cams and a 1216

but ya once I get past the MS150 bike ride everything should be in place that this is my only project and start getting the attention it needs.
          '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

i love it that looks awesome

Comment

I built an xj bobber not too long ago for a friend. Same deal, hard tailed it and all. he chose a larossa seat from a harley, looked really nice on the bike.

Comment

Larossas are nice.

One this i did do before I sold my 750 engine was see if it would fit the XJ frame.. No dice, the 750 motor would have taken up the ENTIRE motor cage.

Comment

I have a 650 that I am doing the same thing too.

Comment

Working...
                  X