X

Balancing tires with B B's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoyleDee View Post
    I'how many roads do you know are posted for a 100mph limit...
    At least 18 that I drove on in the past 30 days...
    Gotta love Germany!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
      My only concern would be what Cyber stated...not that he's right...... but there could be a possibility of the BB's wearing out the tire from the inside...
      A 6mm BB at .12 grams couldn't even possibly harm any tire. Besides, by the time the wheel gets to a certain speed centrifugal force is holding them in one spot.
      Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
        A 6mm BB at .12 grams couldn't even possibly harm any tire. Besides, by the time the wheel gets to a certain speed centrifugal force is holding them in one spot.
        :
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I tried dyna beeds, i removed them after 800 miles. Found ppow speeds were really rough and sometimes at higher speeds the beads didint seem to want to settle in and would make weird on again and off agin inputs. I went back to bubble balancing.
          Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            Gytrdunkat and I were commenting on how a $40K MV Agusta has gobs of stick on weights on its high end magnesium wheels..
            Yeah, that was disturbing, there were no less than 5 wieghts per wheel. IMO, not something that should be on a show bike, I mean, I bet they don't even drive it!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I just ordered some for my car and bike.

On the Dyna Bead site it states too little dyna beads will result in poor balance while too much will have no negative effect.

I run snow tires on my car which get gummed up with salt and sand and crud and they always seem out of balance.

I'm gonna test Dyna Beads on the snow tires first and if sucessful try 'em in my Kat when I swap tires this spring.

I'll provide my feedback in this thread.

LBJGH
              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by lbjgh View Post
                I just ordered some for my car and bike.

On the Dyna Bead site it states too little dyna beads will result in poor balance while too much will have no negative effect.

I run snow tires on my car which get gummed up with salt and sand and crud and they always seem out of balance.

I'm gonna test Dyna Beads on the snow tires first and if sucessful try 'em in my Kat when I swap tires this spring.

I'll provide my feedback in this thread.

LBJGH
                Hurry w/ the feedback!
                '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Fox, I think I found the same results as you.

I went for a quick ride tonight but with the gusty wind it was hard to tell if there was any difference at all. The instruction stated to remove any wheel weights first and I think I detected some minor vibration through the bars. Generally it was OK but nothing earth shattering. I stuck the wheel weights back on and will do some more testing tomorrow or Wednesday.
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I'll be waiting for more feedback
                    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                    '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

As a follow up to this thread I thought I'd let you know what my latest experience with dyna beads was/is.

I installed new tires on my motorcycle (Z6 stock sizes) before an extended road trip in July. The shop that installed the tires balanced them with the front tire requiring no weight while the rear had 1-3/4oz installed on the rim.

I found during the trip that the tires had a weird feel which I chalked up to the new tread pattern and deeper tread.
                      Then I got thinking about the dyna beads again and thought it can't hurt to try 'em again.

There is a local shop that stocks the beads so I picked up a 1oz package for the front and a 2oz for the rear.

hmmm, after a few hundred clicks I think I'm a convert... the bike seems to be noticeably smoother from about 70km/h to 120km/h. So I'll have to revoke my snake oil thoughts about the product.

I don't know if the front tire needed some balance or if it was the fact that the weight on the rear was mounted on one side of the rim...

Thought I'd share my comments.
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Just in case anyone is still wondering about Dynabeads, I have now clocked 12K miles on a rear Z6 tire. And I've still got tread left, but they're down to the bars, and I'm gonna replace 'em.

I'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                          Wait.. Are we talking about this?:

OK I see now we are not.

What happens over 100 mph Mojoe?

I don't pay $50 to have tires done but think weights are a little silly.
                          Gytrdunkat and I were commenting on how a $40K MV Agusta has gobs of stick on weights on its high end magnesium wheels..

Answer: Over 100 mph you would risk getting cancer. I say stick with regular sugar, "God's sweetener"

Comment

i got a pack to try as i want to paint my rims and there's sticky weights on them and i really don't want to paint over them :P
                            voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                            82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                            83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

My last tires I put on my Futura, after 5000 miles I thought I'd re-balance them. They didn't need it.

To make things easier, I'm now going to balance the rims without the tires, putting the weights on the inside, this will make the tires balance easier with less weights.
                              '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                              '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                                My last tires I put on my Futura, after 5000 miles I thought I'd re-balance them. They didn't need it.

To make things easier, I'm now going to balance the rims without the tires, putting the weights on the inside, this will make the tires balance easier with less weights.
                                with the weight on the inside of the rim, I would be worried that the weight would come unglued, and you would have to brake it down to remove or reattach the weight
                                89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Working...
                                X