Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikuni 34 or 36?

I don't get it ..

it's confusing
    which years are these kats coming with 36 ss mikunis and which years 34's??
    oin the service manuals it says 34's
    on the thread I attach up here it says 36's for 89 on models
    mine is a 1995 with 34's
    so can someone help with this confusion???
    Biker chicks know how to ride.....

...and what jet kit (brand) would You (whoever has the same carbs) suggest for single pods and exhaust?
    any help appreciated

Comment

All I know for sure is that a 1988 gsx1100f Katana has the 34 mm carbs, the link you provided says yours has 36mm carbs, as for a jet kit, the only one I have found is the dynojet kit, for header and pods you would need a stage 3 kit.

I don't see anything listed for a 1100 Katana after 1993 on Ron Ayers or BikeBandit
      Last edited by danp2630; 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
        All I know for sure is that a 1988 gsx1100f Katana has the 34 mm carbs, the link you provided says yours has 36mm carbs, as for a jet kit, the only one I have found is the dynojet kit, for header and pods you would need a stage 3 kit.

I don't see anything listed for a 1100 Katana after 1993 on Ron Ayers or BikeBandit
        danp2630
        Mine is a german (restricted ) version gsx 1100 f...no Usa katana model name ...
        (carbs are 34s) and exhaust headers smaller diameter (hopefully everything else is the same enginewise)
        Actually they sold it to me as a 1996 (?)...but that's because we're in costarica...where the bike has been exported from germany few years back
        I guess that would make it technically like a 1988..? ..smaller carbs
        it just isn't as fast as it shoulkd be
        and that has to change!

Comment

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
          that is because from 94-97 the 1100 was not imported into north america.

also, the carbs on the 1100 from 88-93 do not seem to be consistent. there are a couple of years thrown in where the US model and the Canadian models had different carbs. as far as I know, the US never had 36mm carbs....only Canada had them.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            that is because from 94-97 the 1100 was not imported into north america.

also, the carbs on the 1100 from 88-93 do not seem to be consistent. there are a couple of years thrown in where the US model and the Canadian models had different carbs. as far as I know, the US never had 36mm carbs....only Canada had them.
            so you are saying that USA models are fitted with 34's?

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo View Post
              so you are saying that USA models are fitted with 34's?
              yes...that is what I am saying. I can not say with certainty that I am 100% right, but it is my belief that 34's were installed because that was what was called for to meet EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulations and California emissions standards. I remember reading it somewhere.

Comment

If your'e looking for parts one of the best places to look is in the UK/Europe on EBay. I've purchased parts from a 96 GSX1100 that fit my 88.
                2005 GSXF750 Katana
                1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
                  If your'e looking for parts one of the best places to look is in the UK/Europe on EBay. I've purchased parts from a 96 GSX1100 that fit my 88.
                  thanx gaillarry
                  actually I ve found in Italy a used set of four carbs from a gsxr 1100 year 1991
                  supposedly 36's ...would they be an instant fit on the big kat?
                  I mean same intake manifolds etc...?

Comment

thanx gaillarry
                    actually I ve found in Italy a used set of four carbs from a gsxr 1100 year 1991

Its like Mojoe mentioned, there's a difference in model years and carb systems. The only way to check for sure is to look at your carbs, there should be marking on the carbs identifying the model.
                    Last edited by gaillarry; 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM.
                    2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Its like Mojoe mentioned, there's a vast difference in model years and carb systems. The only way to check for sure is to look at your carbs, there should be marking on the carbs identifying the model.
                      I don't think Mojoe says there's a vast difference
                      ...there's 34s and 36s
                      that's all !
                      I imagine they are pretty much interchangeable

is that right Mojoe ?

Comment

I edited my post. I just looked at the microfiche and the carb boots are different for each size of carbs.
                        2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

I edited my post. I just looked at the microfiche and the carb boots are different for each size of carbs.
                          sorry my ignorance gailarry..
                          are the carb boots the connection between the carbs and the cyl heads?

Comment

We're all learning a lot about these carbs. Yes, the boots are the intakes from the cylinder head to the carbs.

2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

the only thing different is the size of the opening. the measurements from center to center of each carb venturi is the same. you can fit 34mm into 36mm boots and it will draw up tight enough. you are only talking 1mm all the way around. and you can fit 36's into 34mm boots with a little grease and a lot of wiggling.

thanx gaillarry
                              the 91 gsxr 1100 in north america is the 1100M model, and they come with 40mm CV carbs. if you can get your hands on those, I would buy them from you. I need a set of 40mm's for my V&H race engine. 40mm is too big for the 1100 kat. it will run too rich.
                              Last edited by Mojoe; 11-08-2007, 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X