X

15 tips for riding in traffic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^^ AGREED!!!
    Just scanned through these, and even with my limited seat time I do pretty much all of the tips listed! Still need to work on cancelling my signals though, as being a cage driver so long I'm used to them auto cancelling. SCAN!!! I know I probably look crazy checking my blind spots just about every 30 secs in trafficbut I'd rather be safe than sorry! Taking my riders course has actually made me more mindful even behind the wheel (which is decreasing daily )
    "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
    1 Corinthians 10:31
    sigpic

Comment

• coming from riding dirt bikes most my life i never really thought of most of the on the road stuff as mentioned this is the first street bike. Thanks for the write up love it lots of usefull info

Comment

• Forgot one...

Watch out for smokers... Taking a lit cigarette butt to the helmet sucks... It sucks worse when they hit you in the neck...

Originally posted by decdrummer View Post
        I replay these tips in my head every time I ride, you truly have to be a defensive driver
        In my car I am an aggressive driver... But on the bike I just believe everyone is attempting to kill me and I ride incredibly defensive... Has worked so far

Comment

• Practice keeping your head on a swivel. Honestly, Don't stop looking around you guys. I make sure to notice everything around me. And if I start to ride aggressively and split lane, man I make sure I have an escape route.

Comment

• This is very useful. Thank you.

Comment

• I don't remember the exact quote, but I am pretty sure it came from this thread, it is the best piece of of advice I have read, and it was something like this;

Turn your head like an owl at a rave.

Comment

• after reading this sticky there is alot of good info in it. i need to get my buddy to join and read through this sometimes he gets a little cocky
                sigpic94 Kat 600

Comment

• Good info, thank!

Comment

• Originally posted by numus View Post
                    Forgot one...

Watch out for smokers... Taking a lit cigarette butt to the helmet sucks... It sucks worse when they hit you in the neck...

In my car I am an aggressive driver... But on the bike I just believe everyone is attempting to kill me and I ride incredibly defensive... Has worked so far
                    I would be really mad if I actually got hit with a lit ciggerette to my neck. I think I would actually chase them down... and have some good words with them.

Comment

• Passive is the name of the game when biking in traffic. Don't ride like an azz and stay clear of those who do. Those jack-holes on bikes that zip through traffic weaving in and out are living on borrowed time. They are the epitome of what not to do when riding a bike.
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

• how do you guys feel about lane splitting?

thanks for the tips
                        Last edited by Zone07; 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Thanks, great tips to keep in mind ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Zone07 View Post
                            how do you guys feel about lane splitting?

thanks for the tips
                            I am all for it. I moved to Colorado from California and it is not legal here. I believe that lane splitting is a tool to use that helps I rider have more control of their safety. With that said, there are idiots that go too fast and scare cagers which then take it out on the next bike splitting lanes. When I would split lanes it would usually take from three to five seconds to get passed a cage. At that speed you do not scare anyone and if you come across someone that squeezes you, you have time to deal with it safely.

Comment

Working...
                            X