X

rear wheel spanner rightside what size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheel spanner rightside what size

ok going to adjust my chain and all my tools dont fit the bolt to loosen the wheel on the right side yip where the exhaust is very strange
    it's not a 18mm maybe 17.5mm i will measure the bolt tommorow
    it's too late at night now
    anyone know the size of spanner i need its a pre kat 1990 model
    the best looking suzuki ever made of course

you talking about the axle nut? use an adjustable crescent wrench
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
      you talking about the axle nut? use an adjustable crescent wrench
      ok just remember i have to hit the the bolt and whatever fits it with
      ''a adjustable crescent wrench'' in your option and a rubber mallet

then i have to set my torque wrench to nm to tighten the bolt

so no i wont use a adjustable crescent wrench thanks for the ''in my opinion''
      the bad advice ......LOL

spanner or socket and size ........ thats all i am asking
      dont mean to be a ass so sorry in advance
      Last edited by gypsypunk; 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I measured mine, here's what i have 17mm axle nut, 22mm castle nut. Now being that the bike is over 20 years old, who knows whats been replaced with what. A crescent would work to set the chain but, I see that the issue would still be the torque needing a socket.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Just have to ask - what is a crescent wrench? You mean an adjustable spanner?

If so - yeah - don't use them on anything high-torque. You'll strip or round the crap out of everything

Comment

no, a spanner wrench looks like this, a crescent wrench looks like this, an adjustable spanner wrench looks like this
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

LOL

Definitely lost in translation

Comment

Europeans call wrenches spanners. I'm kind of fasinated by there lingo. Like bonnet = hood, here a bonnet is a ladies hat. LOL
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

It works both ways!

I have to explain tracking rod ends, bonnets, boots, spanners, gaiters, etc to Americans and they have to do the same to me with tie rods, hoods, trunks, wrenches, accordions, etc all the time. When it dawns on the both of us we are talking about one particular thing, we both learn something

Comment

When it dawns on the both of us we are talking about one particular thing, we both learn something [/QUOTE]

i must admit i had to google ''a crescent wrench'' to find out what it looked like
                    too my horror it's a monkey wrench
                    well i understand the lingo diffrence i have family in south dekota and atlanta georgia.

baahhh motorbike = motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      I measured mine, here's what i have 17mm axle nut, 22mm castle nut. Now being that the bike is over 20 years old, who knows whats been replaced with what. A crescent would work to set the chain but, I see that the issue would still be the torque needing a socket.

thanks the axle is 17mm and has the flanged bolt so is the original bolts
                      even all the more reason why i shouldnt go near them with a crescent wrench
                      i did notice the bolt is a very snug fit on all my 17mm tools i even had to rubber hammer the 17mm socket on to the bolt to loosen the axle
                      this is a exellent peice of engineering
                      all other bikes i have had loosen the axle bolt on has had me hitting flying spanners very annoying

thanks guys job done and torqued to 88 nm

Comment

a crescent wrench is perfectly fine for removing the axle nut. For one its a large nut with good surface area an two its not a high torque application. I wouldn't use a crescent wrench on small nuts/bolts or high torque applications as they do flex an end up damaging the nut/bolt.

If your axle was that hard to get off id say it was either corroded a bit or way over-tightened. If it was over torqued it can bind up the wheel bearings an the sleeve inside the wheel between the 2 bearings. By google'in the conversion it says 88nm is 64.9 ft lbs. In my Clymer manual, in the chapter specific to 600's, it says 36-58 ft/lbs (50-80Nm) an a quick search on the wiki brought me this..

which says at the very bottom..47 ft/lbs for the rear axle nut.

Comment

If your axle was that hard to get off id say it was either corroded a bit or way over-tightened. If it was over torqued it can bind up the wheel bearings an the sleeve inside the wheel between the 2 bearings. By google'in the conversion it says 88nm is 64.9 ft lbs. In my Clymer manual, in the chapter specific to 600's, it says 36-58 ft/lbs (50-80Nm) an a quick search on the wiki brought me this..

which says at the very bottom..47 ft/lbs for the rear axle nut.[/UOTE]

i have a gsx750f 1990 the blue suzuki service manual specifies
                          tightening torque (rear axle nut)
                          normal nut with cotter pin 50-80 n.m
                          self-lock nut 55-88 n.m

i mentioned the 17mm tools were tight to fit the self lock nut this is good
                          becasue saves my socket falling off with a knock of my rubber hammer to loosen it.

please stay away from cresent wrenches people they are bad for mechanics

Comment

If you are using 6 point sockets, the age of the nut may mean it's misshapen. In that case you could try 12 point sockets but then you run a higher risk of stripping it out.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by gypsypunk View Post
                              i have a gsx750f 1990 the blue suzuki service manual specifies
                              tightening torque (rear axle nut)
                              normal nut with cotter pin 50-80 n.m
                              self-lock nut 55-88 n.m

i mentioned the 17mm tools were tight to fit the self lock nut this is good
                              becasue saves my socket falling off with a knock of my rubber hammer to loosen it.

please stay away from cresent wrenches people they are bad for mechanics
                              the variable torque listed is a wide range for a reason. It doesnt mean tighten it to the highest just to be safe. It can vary with each bike therefore you dont just tighten it to 88nm. Your bike may very well be fine at 88nm but it also may be over tight. You want enough tension to seat everything but not to bind. Hence the reason it also says to spin the wheel an be sure it spins freely after you torque it.

Im not a bafoon, im not saying rebuild your bike with a damn crescent wrench. You should have no problem removing your axle nut or setting it with a crescent wrench. Don't use pliers or channel locks though.

Crescent wrenches or any tool for that matter are a mechanics friend as every tool has its uses under different circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                              X