X

tire brands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
    ... One thing I have noticed that seems strange are the differences in chicken strips with the stock size tires. Rear tire has no unused portion and the front has significant untouched tread. It seems as though the sizing should show similar wear like the rear is too small or the front is too big. Have others noticed this also?
    150/70-17
    For ever rim size, there are variable sizes that will fit it. The tire size you match to the rim size will effect the profile of the tires. In general... A smaller size will give a flatter profile, a larger size gives a taller profile. Flatter = more use of the edges with only a little lean. Taller = much more lean to get to the edges.

This is one reason "chicken strips" are not really a good measure to go by as a skill comparison.

That said... if your using 120/70 and 150/70 on a post kat, your looking at...

120/70 is about the normal largest width/largest tire for the front rim. It has the tallest profile of the options.

150/70 is about the normal smallest tire for the rear rim. It will have the flattest profile of the options.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      For ever rim size, there are variable sizes that will fit it. The tire size you match to the rim size will effect the profile of the tires. In general... A smaller size will give a flatter profile, a larger size gives a taller profile. Flatter = more use of the edges with only a little lean. Taller = much more lean to get to the edges.

This is one reason "chicken strips" are not really a good measure to go by as a skill comparison.

That said... if your using 120/70 and 150/70 on a post kat, your looking at...

120/70 is about the normal largest width/largest tire for the front rim. It has the tallest profile of the options.

150/70 is about the normal smallest tire for the rear rim. It will have the flattest profile of the options.

Krey
      I think my previous bikes must have been better matched front and rear. I just put the same sizes as on the swing arm label. Would it be a better match to go with a 160 on the rear? I would feel more comfortable if I had a size that left me with a bit of chicken strip as I do not feel I am pushing that hard and seem to be using 100% of available tread on the 150.

Comment

I think my previous bikes must have been better matched front and rear. I just put the same sizes as on the swing arm label. Would it be a better match to go with a 160 on the rear? I would feel more comfortable if I had a size that left me with a bit of chicken strip as I do not feel I am pushing that hard and seem to be using 100% of available tread on the 150.
        Flatter profile gives more contact patch on the ground, so you get more tire in contact with the pavement. More tire on contact = less wear but more grip.

While I'll agree that your using more of the tire on a 150, your statement assumes that your going to run out of tread. That's not the case. Your not going to get to the point that your leaning too far and the tire wants to slip because you have run out of tread. You would hit hard parts first, and those hard parts would lift the tire off the ground.

What is happening is the contact patch being bigger, means that edge comes in contact with the pavement sooner. That does not mean it runs out sooner though. That's actually the opposite...

Think of it this way. Take 2 circle cut outs. 1 cut out is 1" wide. 2nd is 2" wide. Put a small hole in the center of both.

If you use the 1" circle and put the center of it in the center of the tire... that center point has the same distance to travel to the edge of the tire as the 2" center point cut out would.

Move the 1" circle so the outside edge is 1/4" away from the edge of the tire. Now place the 2" circle over that matching center points. You will see the larger contact patch goes past the edge, with the same center point. This would mean no chicken strip. If you look though, it's the same lean point (center points are the same). You will also see that the total surface area covered by the 2" circle is more than the 1", even with part of it hanging off the edge. This means you still have more traction and less wear than the smaller size, even with no chicken strip.

To simplify that... you have better traction and more tire on the ground with the 150 being used to the edge then you would with a 160 and having chicken strips that match the front.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The tire product life cycle is starting to look like the consumer electronics life cycle. Every 6-12 months the brands are releasing a new model that either replaces or adds a tire to the line up.

The Dunlop Q2 and Q3's are pretty amazing tires, but all of their previous line up has been nothing but garbage.

Prior to that the Pilot Power and Pilot Power 2CT were the defacto "hypersport tires" until Michelin replaced them with the known to be sucking Pilot Pure. Within a few months the PP2CT was back on the market, but the Q2 had already stolen the market share.

I'm frankly glad to see some competition in the market place It's good for us as consumers. Also the manufacturers seem to be taking their tire R&D more seriously, and we are seeing some great gains trickle down from DOT and track tires.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Flatter profile gives more contact patch on the ground, so you get more tire in contact with the pavement. More tire on contact = less wear but more grip.

While I'll agree that your using more of the tire on a 150, your statement assumes that your going to run out of tread. That's not the case. Your not going to get to the point that your leaning too far and the tire wants to slip because you have run out of tread. You would hit hard parts first, and those hard parts would lift the tire off the ground.

What is happening is the contact patch being bigger, means that edge comes in contact with the pavement sooner. That does not mean it runs out sooner though. That's actually the opposite...

Think of it this way. Take 2 circle cut outs. 1 cut out is 1" wide. 2nd is 2" wide. Put a small hole in the center of both.

If you use the 1" circle and put the center of it in the center of the tire... that center point has the same distance to travel to the edge of the tire as the 2" center point cut out would.

Move the 1" circle so the outside edge is 1/4" away from the edge of the tire. Now place the 2" circle over that matching center points. You will see the larger contact patch goes past the edge, with the same center point. This would mean no chicken strip. If you look though, it's the same lean point (center points are the same). You will also see that the total surface area covered by the 2" circle is more than the 1", even with part of it hanging off the edge. This means you still have more traction and less wear than the smaller size, even with no chicken strip.

To simplify that... you have better traction and more tire on the ground with the 150 being used to the edge then you would with a 160 and having chicken strips that match the front.

Krey
            Totally makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. The circle explanation made it easy to picture.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Q2īs got them on my bandit and thinking of fitting them to my kat
              As these day only ride when the suns out like the a tyre that warms up quick and gives a good feel

Comment

PR4 . Conti motions are a good tire for the money. Buy the best you can afford. I don't like Metzler or dunlop at all. Shinko technology is a little behind but, they're making changes to correct that.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-29-2014, 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                X