X

Bike won't start after carb cleaning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike won't start after carb cleaning

.. I'm completely lost here. I've just cleaned the carbs, hooked up the tank off to the side *ensured that gas was getting to the carbs too. Even new plugs. However, she wouldn't start. The battery has charge, but it just wouldn't catch. I'm sure the carbs are cleaned and working properly.. I bought some starting fluid and sprayed a bit into each carb trying to get her to come back to life. However, after second or so of hitting the start button I see the carb blown out of the boot and a bit of smoke bellowing out. Starting fluid must've been a hella stupid idea. Can anyone tell me whats going on?

Edit: 1996 kat 600, not that it should matter

Found via google that the idle may need to be adjusted up.. I just installed a new idle cable, but had no idea how tight to make it.
    Last edited by zenxr; 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So wait a minute here...did it cough on the starting fluid or not? If it didn't catch on the starter fluid, it's a spark issue whether the idle is adjusted wrong or not.

If it DID cough on the starter fluid, your idle adjustment may play a part in it. Also, if you don't have the airbox on, that's not helping your situation any.

Comment

The airbox was on, the filter was out. And yes, I know.. Define cough? The exhaust would cough a bit if that's what you mean.

Okay guys, just tried to start it again. Failed to start of course. After I let off start (held 1/2 second or so) the carbs spit and white smoke shot out of the air box. Air fuel mix?
      Last edited by zenxr; 10-30-2011, 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by zenxr View Post
        .. I'm completely lost here. I've just cleaned the carbs, hooked up the tank off to the side *ensured that gas was getting to the carbs too. Even new plugs. However, she wouldn't start. The battery has charge, but it just wouldn't catch. I'm sure the carbs are cleaned and working properly.. I bought some starting fluid and sprayed a bit into each carb trying to get her to come back to life. However, after second or so of hitting the start button I see the carb blown out of the boot and a bit of smoke bellowing out. Starting fluid must've been a hella stupid idea. Can anyone tell me whats going on?

Edit: 1996 kat 600, not that it should matter

Found via google that the idle may need to be adjusted up.. I just installed a new idle cable, but had no idea how tight to make it.

These bikes are very picky about carb adjustments. Make sure the idle isn't set too high and those 3 little holes on the bottom of each carb aren't exposed too much, this will flood and never start. Close your butterflies to where there is only a small portion of the first hole showing and try that. Let us know if it sputters at all when trying to start. Give it a boost by spraying some carb spray in each one before trying to crank. Try it with throttle and without. My buddies bike took about 30 seconds of cranking to get it to start after a carb cleaning and it would only start if we didn't apply any throttle. use carb spray to help

Comment

I have no way of knowing if the idle is adjusted too high or too low.. Its a new idle cable.

Comment

There is no such thing as an idle cable.

Comment

I have no way of knowing if the idle is adjusted too high or too low.. Its a new idle cable.
              Actually, you do. Before you put on the new idle adjuster, you should have bench synced the carbs. Then, you adjust the idle screw to where it touches the tab on the throttle plate, then give it a little more.

To test your theory about throttle mis adjusted, use the throttle and hold it open a bit, or turn the idle adjuster screw a few times. Either way, if all it did was cough with starter fluid, I think you have a spark issue.

Did you plug off all the unused vacuum ports since you don't have a gas tank hooked up?

Comment

I would try pulling a plug and see if they are wet looking. Also when you spray a shot of starter fluid or carb cleaner in each carb did you try holding the throttle open while you spray? Then let the throttle close and try starting. If the engine doesn't fire off for a second or two, then would agree spark issue.

Comment

Download and FOLLOW carbs 101 from the wiki. Then you know the carbs are right with the exception of the a/f screws. those should be 2 1/2 turns out not 1 3/4 like cabs 101 says.
                  When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I have followed carbs 101.. I was calling the idle adjustment screw's cable the idle cable. I'll look at it tomorrow, but thanks guys.. I guess.. If the spark plugs are wet looking what should I do?

Comment

I've suggested that get corrected but no joy. The mod who put it up there isn't interested in changing it even though we keep having to add footnotes stating that 1.75 turns out is the stock setting and is too lean. Go with 2.5 and you're GTG unless you're running at high altitude in which case you need about 2.25.

Frustrating...

...If the spark plugs are wet looking what should I do?
                      If that's the case then check for voltage at the coils and spark at the plugs. Kats don't like a weak spark. They also don't like it when you install the plug wires in the wrong order. Look for the labels on each plug wire.
                      Last edited by Wild-Bill; 10-30-2011, 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

They are all set to 2.5. I haven't been able to perfectly sync them yet though. The spark plugs did look wet earlier... And the bottom of the hole where the spark plug goes in looked oily/wet also. We'll see tomorrow.

Comment

Valve cover is leaking, I would correct that also, and adjust the tapplets for the valves while you have the cover off. Or atleast in the near future.

Also in some cases depending how much raw fuel has gone in, the bike will start to crank faster as the fuel coats the walls of the cylinder and takes out compression. And it gets into the oil. Just some random things that come to mind.

I would make sure you have spark, plug a sparkplug into the wire and lay it down (it will have to be grounded either jumper or anywere paint is missing near by on the valve cover) and look for spark while cranking, do this to each wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
                            Valve cover is leaking, I would correct that also, and adjust the tapplets for the valves while you have the cover off. Or atleast in the near future.

Also in some cases depending how much raw fuel has gone in, the bike will start to crank faster as the fuel coats the walls of the cylinder and takes out compression. And it gets into the oil. Just some random things that come to mind.

I would make sure you have spark, plug a sparkplug into the wire and lay it down (it will have to be grounded either jumper or anywere paint is missing near by on the valve cover) and look for spark while cranking, do this to each wire.

Nicely put One thing I thought I would add is when you ground off the spark plug to see the spark Make sure it's nice and blue in color.
                            Blueish spark=good
                            Redish spark=weak

Good luck on the bike
                            sigpic
                            1994 GSX600

Comment

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post

The part in bold is not true. In fact, just the opposite happens as the raw fuel builds up and isn't evacuated like exhaust gases. That's how you hydrolock.

Fuel on the cylinder walls won't take out compression.

Comment

Working...
                              X