No announcement yet.
X

Aluminum sprockets suck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well one thing to consider in the drill used to machine the sprocket, they are very expensive and wear down alot quicker with hardened steel than aluminum.
    www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
    Katana Frame Sliders
    The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
    98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
    I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAUNSTEIN82 View Post
      Well one thing to consider in the drill used to machine the sprocket, they are very expensive and wear down alot quicker with hardened steel than aluminum.
      The machining steps would be done prior to any hardening of the steel. it is not a common practice to treat steel and then cut it. if they were grinding then yes I would agree.

Tmod

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
      Cheaper sprockets are stamped, interesting that the Wiki article mentions that Hobbing is inexpensive.. when I have a sprocket hobbed it cost me slightly more, I have compared the Hobbed teeth and the CNC'd teeth.. and i cant tell the difference between the two tooth profiles, the only difference that I notice is the surface of the tooth that the Hobbing creates, where the roller touches it, isn't as smooth as the CNC'd tooth face. To me that could translate to added wear, not that it does.. it's just an observation I have made.. I prefer a CNC'd unit.
      What did you use to compare them?

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 09-09-2010, 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Wow! I feel as if i have learned so much out of this... I always thought the aluminum sprockets were steel on the outside (tooth portion) and aluminum on the inner part (2 piece). I guess thats what made sense in my mind. Taking the steel out of the middle and replacing it with aluminum would make it lighter right? Do some companies make them like that or have i just been totally wrong with that assumption? Well anyway... you learn something new everyday i guess...
        -Noe-
        2000 Katana 750

Comment

They do make some like that, the SuperSprox for example.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            You can't really take that as evidence though... it wasn't serviced.

true, hard to factor in the "lazy dumbass" quotient

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Quick update. I got my new sprockets from drive systems.com. They're their Superlight 520 steel sprockets. The sprockets weigh only a few ounces more than the aluminum ones I pulled off from Thrust Company. Those were good but I'm not on the track. I need longevity. The new sprockets are beautiful simmilar in style to Vortex. The set they had was for a Suzuki Sv so they didn't have anything larger than a 47 rear and I have a 14 front which has been drilled out to save weight. I dig it. Braunstein, I don't know if it's a conflict of interest but maybe you can talk to him about selling those too and making more sizes for Katanas. Check em out I think you may dig em.

Comment

Just my .02. I have 520 Vortex 50T aluminum rear and 14T front sprocket with a gold x-ring (i think) chain. Numerous launches at the track, probably a 6-8 thousand street miles and I have had it for almost 5 years. My adjustment arrow is on the second to last notch on my swingarm and I've never had a problem with slipping. Maybe I just got lucky Your experience may vary and I'm not saying anybody is WRONG in their earlier statements, I'm just stating my own experience. I like them and when (if) i buy another set before selling the bike I'll go with the same setup. Except maybe 52T in the rear...I'm only at the top of 5th gear when crossing the line.

Anyway, good luck on your new setup Reborn. Definitely let us know how you like them after you get some wear on 'em.
                02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                90 GSXR 750/1216
                96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                sigpic

Comment

For sure. Your bike is a weekend toy. Mine is my daily ride. And I do mean daily. I ride almost all year round. Unless there's snow or ice on the road I'm out. I'm not saying nobody should buy aluminum sprockets I'm saying for the amount I ride and as hard as I do ride they are for sure not for me. I can't afford to replace them all the time. And the steel set was much more affordable also. The set was as much as the aluminum rear in itself. Time and riding will tell and I guess I'll see if it is the way to go or not.

Comment

You have me real curious now about what you paid. You said the whole kit was as much as a aluminum rear. I sell the whole aluminum kit for around $150. The rear sprocket by itself is only $50-$60.
                    www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                    Katana Frame Sliders
                    The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                    98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                    I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Working...
                    X