X

Aluminum sprockets suck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum sprockets suck

I started the season out with a shot stock setup. I opted to go with a 520 conversion that had an aluminum rear 48 sprocket and a steel front 14. I loved the performance out of the new design. What I can't stand is that my rear sprocket is damn near gone. It's only been well, not even the whole season. Why would it wear out so fast? I kept my chain tension right around 1 to 2 inches of play and lubed my chain every two weeks. My bike's down for the last big weekend of the year. Great. No more aluminum sprockets for me. I'm sticking with steel for now on. I might look into Ti. That's a little pricy though.

I bet hard launches and aggressive riding would prematurely wear it as well
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i've heard mostly good things about aluminum sprockets...i just installed mine 2 days ago. guess we'll see how it holds up
      Originally posted by Slofuze:
      Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

I;ve never known it to be a hard metal....any other ideas about this?
        sigpic
        98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
        Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

"lubed every two weeks" doesn't say what kind of miles you are pulling in two weeks. Also a 520 sprocket is dimensionally smaller than a 530.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by vonrapier View Post
            I;ve never known it to be a hard metal....any other ideas about this?
            the company my rear sprocket is from (Thrust) made sure to include that the sprocket is made from "T6 hardened aluminum" i beleive. soooo idk
            Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

Yes, aluminum sprockets suck. Have known quite a few riders who have snapped teeth off of them, mostly Vortex.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Yes, aluminum sprockets suck. Have known quite a few riders who have snapped teeth off of them, mostly Vortex.
                But Vortex sprockets look AWESOME.

>=o)

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I always questioned the reliability of aluminum sprockets.
                  '03 600 Kat
                  '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Originally posted by RebornKat02 View Post
                    I started the season out with a shot stock setup. I opted to go with a 520 conversion that had an aluminum rear 48 sprocket and a steel front 14. I loved the performance out of the new design. What I can't stand is that my rear sprocket is damn near gone. It's only been well, not even the whole season. Why would it wear out so fast? I kept my chain tension right around 1 to 2 inches of play and lubed my chain every two weeks. My bike's down for the last big weekend of the year. Great. No more aluminum sprockets for me. I'm sticking with steel for now on. I might look into Ti. That's a little pricy though.
                    what kind of wear do you have? misalignment can cause premature wear also. i have Vortec sprockets and have had no issue so far 6K+ and 2 rear tires later. my Kat is ridden hard often. i have 530 setup.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have about 8000 miles on it. Wear is even but it looks like nubs now. Slips alot under hard acceleration. I bought mine from thrust company and yes it was T6 hardened too.

Comment

damn...now im worried lol

Comment

Originally posted by RebornKat02 View Post
                          I have about 8000 miles on it. Wear is even but it looks like nubs now. Slips alot under hard acceleration. I bought mine from thrust company and yes it was T6 hardened too.

the issue is not just the sprocket, you went with a 520 chain, which is a lighter duty chain and sprocket setup, than the bike was intended to use.

yes, they are cheaper, however, they also last 30-40% LESS miles, even when taken care of, and even then it depends on the quality of the chain and sprocket set you get.

so, you got your moneys worth it looks like to me.

See My Garage for mods...
                          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                            the issue is not just the sprocket, you went with a 520 chain, which is a lighter duty chain and sprocket setup, than the bike was intended to use.
                            I have a very hard time believing that the 520 swap had anything to do with it Jay...a 520 chain is more than sufficient for the loads it will experience on a Katana, much less all of the SS bikes running them...
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              I have a very hard time believing that the 520 swap had anything to do with it Jay...a 520 chain is more than sufficient for the loads it will experience on a Katana, much less all of the SS bikes running them...

520 chains on something not INTENDED for it will experience more wear, its a simple fact. Add in the heavier weight of the avg kat, and its rider, its definitely possible.

Soulpatchs 520 chain lasted about 4K on his post 600..

See My Garage for mods...
                              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                              X