No announcement yet.
X

Chain Lube Brand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a gallon of kero from Home Depot I think...I just put it in a spray bottle and soak the chain. Let it sit and hose it off....its amazing how clean it gets the chain and sprockets

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

This is what I use....I take a smaller wire brush and scrub the dirt and crap off my chain ~500 miles.

Also here is a little review on it.

Bigger can runs ~$8-$9
      I'll look into it, thanks.

Originally posted by thetable View Post
      Never use a wire brush on an O-ring chain, you will destroy the O-Ring.

I lubed at least every tank of fuel. Cleaned when I felt like it. Adjust as needed. Checked the slack every time I get on the bike. Which lube, well, I had the best results from Motul Chain Lube Road. My second go to was the Dupont Teflon lube.

I've now gone to a Loobman chain oiler, and using whatever old oil I have sitting on the shelf. So much easier.
      That chain lube (Dupon Teflon) is the only that keeps popping up here and there. Seems nobody uses the same ****. I feel every tank of gas is a bit much...no? I don't get 500 miles to a tank, not by a long shot. I'll look for some stuff on that Motul stuff.

So then what do you wise guys do to get the 'crap' off before you lube...and dont say kerosene because I cant get that any where around here
      Diesel is the same as kerosene (or pretty damn near it) at the chemical level, except it's taxed for road use. If you can't find kerosene, use diesel. It seems the general consensus for getting the crap off chains is kerosene, though. I can't do this, I have no garage to store a 5 gal jug of kerosene and if campus safety saw that **** I'd never hear the end of it..

Originally posted by teddy View Post
      Wd40...
      To lube the chain? I hear WD-40 is bad for outdoor use as it leads to rust. Not sure how much this applies to bike chains, but I've heard that as a general rule.

Originally posted by null
      I use an old toothbrush if I must scrub, but there are many options for solvents.
      Originally posted by teddy View Post
      yeah, guess i should have added ' and a nylon bristled brush' to my previous post....
      Hrm, I rather use something with some physical contact to it, I'll look into nylon bristled brushes, are there ones specifically for chains, or just any old one?

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
      You might laugh...but wouldn't some dawn work?
      It'd cut grease, sure (not sure that's what you want, as you want the chain to stay greased), but it also doesn't have any lubricating properties. Or are you saying use it to clean the chain before lubing?

I've read in numerous places that WD40 will eat the O Rings out over time.

I've read also that solvents are that great either, usually harsh and damage O rings.

I mean I've been using a wire brush on my chains since I was 18, and put 13,000 miles on my KZ chain, almost 20,000 miles on my OEM Katana chain with the ~500 mile lube and scrub......So I am yet to see any damage from this method.
      I'm probably going to stay clear of WD-40 as from what I hear it's not the greatest for outside, not sure how I feel about solvents, I like physically scrubbing it off, don't trust chemicals to do it all...

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
      I have been using a chain lube called Bel-Ray and it is great. It kind of looks like white lithium grease when it goes on but it doesn't seem to fling off and it doesn't attract much dirt. My chain is due for a good clean, I think I will just use some varsol or something, nylon brush, wipe clean with engine off! And re lube.
      It is my understanding on an o-ring chain, you are not lubing the chain. You are only lubing the o-rings. The lube is sealed inside. You want to preserve the o-rings because they dry out, when the o rings die, then your chain dies. That's how I understand it.
      I lube my chain every tank or 2 of fuel but I only use a tiny amount just to keep the rings moving smoothly.
      I see, interesting functionality.

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
      Badly worn o-ring chain:

The side of the chain at the top of the picture has damaged/missing o-rings between the inner and outer plates, the bottom of the picture shows more intact o-rings. A standard chain does not have these o-rings.

As for the difference between o-ring and x-ring, it's the cross section. If you took an o-ring and cut it, the cross-section would be shaped like an "o". If you do the same to an x-ring chain, the cross-section would be roughly "x" shaped (found an illustration here).

Is there an Ace Hardware in your area? That's where I picked up a gallon of kerosene.
      See above my comments for using kerosene . As for the explanation, THANKS! That explains a lot, I also feel like an idiot for looking at it form the side and bein like "yeah, I can't tell the difference.." - I'm pretty sure I have a 1.5" play in the center of my chain (I have to measure it today) so when I go outside to do that I'll see what I have.

Seeing as the last owner was orig owner and there's only 3100 on it when I got it, I think it's safe to say it is whatever the stock chain Suzuki put on 'em in '97 was O.o. I'll check though when I go outside, you should be able to tell (judging by that illustration) by seeing if the top of the O ring is smooth or not.

You are also lubing the rollers and the roller to sprocket interface.

Holy crap man, what the hell did you put that thing through? I've never seen a destroyed to that point.
      What exactly are the rollers? The rounder parts that go into the sprocket grooves?

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102624

TLDR: Bad alignment was probably the biggest factor.
      Yeah, I saw that in there, that thing is hardcore damaged...what causes a bad alignment? Like, whoever puts the swing arm on didn't align it properly? Or is it like a car where it's possible to come out of alignment without any parts coming off (but typically doesn't). So since my swing arm was never replaced or taken off (most likely), would I have to worry about it?

Also, is it like a car where you need lasers to align it (to do it right) or can you eye it up?

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
      I usually just pull the rear wheel and let about six inches of it at a time lay in an oil drain tub with about an inch of kero in the bottom. I scrub with a plastic (or nylon I guess) stiff bristled brush until it's nice and clean. I dunno if it matters, but I typically wipe excess kero off the chain before rolling it up toward the front sprocket. Once it's clean I use heavy gear/chain lube and soak the crap out of it. Once it's sat for about half an hour I wipe off the excess. But that's maybe three times a year. Between those I just use a small bottle of Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil. It's clear (less mess) and seems to keep the chain in great shape. 11k and counting on this chain- with minimal wear.
      Blah, sounds complex O.o.

Originally posted by Mirloc View Post
      A - I lube at roughly 500 miles yes.

B - The play in the chain is the key. I have a Clymer's and just follow the guides they put into the manual. At every lube I give the chain and rear sprocket a good look over and tighten as necessary.

D - I use this stuff. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm You can pick it up at some auto stores, and Lowes.
      Again with that name, hear it come up a lot. I don't have any guides except the one I found for download on here - not sure who makes it, also kinda bites compared to most haynes/helms/chiltons which I've used for cars.

Originally posted by wcj View Post
      WD40. No problems whatsoever.
      :-\

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
      if you cant get kerosene you can use plain old Diesel from a gas station pump.

but never use gasoline !
      Yup.

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
      Snydacate... I just wanted to point out that your avatar, the Dodge Viper symbol, when turned up side down shows the face of Daffy Duck. If you have a laptop turn your screen upside down and take a look.

And +1 on the chain wax
      I'm not on my laptop, but I turned the image upside down..I just don't see it..

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      Never use a wire brush
      use a plastic bristle brush or tooth brush to clean the chain.

I Use Amsoil HDMP or Maxima chain wax
      Seems like half of people follow chain wax, the other standard teflon chain lube. And barely anybody (with the exception of dupont teflon chain lube) seems to agree on anything.

Blahhhh. It's not even like motor oil where you can get a few people to agree on Mobil 1 or Royal Purple or something. (Mobil 1 ftw).

Originally posted by Mattaua View Post
      I use wax also, just gotta make sure the chain is clean before you use wax lube otherwise it waxes on the dirt. Have also heard its good to lube the chain when its war/hot so the lube soaks down into all the nooks and crannies
      Makes sense, when it's warm it'll be expanded the most. Though I'm starting to lean towards teflon lube. Wonder if the same thing (clean before applying) applies... ?

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
      you're right. how did that get noticed? i use a BG lube i got from our rep. goes on as a foam. does sling off a little though.
      Still don't see it .

Originally posted by BobCarter View Post
      I bought a gallon of kero from Home Depot I think...I just put it in a spray bottle and soak the chain. Let it sit and hose it off....its amazing how clean it gets the chain and sprockets
      As much as I would use kerosene, it's not feasible for where I currently live. Remember, I live in an on campus apt, I park my bike and cars in a parking lot. All work must be done/doable in a parking spot, outside, and must not deal with that many fluides (as it's illegal to change your oil or coolant or anything on campus, but if it's bleeding the brakes or something where they can't tell, screw 'em).

Thanks for your replies guys. I think I'm leaning towards teflon lube and a nylon bristled brush to clean it before doing so. I gotta figure out what kind of chain I have, too.

For today though, lube is not on my mind, chain adjustment is. The chain is about half way out (at the rear sprocket/swing arm measurement thing), seems to jerk when I roll on the throttle, guesstimated about 1.5" at the center of the chain yesterday though, will verify and try to adjust today. That manual I downloaded off of KR sux for anything though, not sure if I'll find anything in there regarding chain adjustments..
      '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
      '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
      '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
      '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
      '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post

Blah, sounds complex O.o.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

it's really not complex.....your best bet is to get some sort of lube spray the **** out of your chain and roll the **** out!!!!!! FTW!!!!!!

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I JUST CHANGED OVER TO USING dupont teflon dry wax every few hundred miles on the beemer cause im needing something to do .....My old bikes i use trans fluild to clean then wipe, blow dry , then maxama chain oil .

Comment

I use kerosene and a soft bristled brush to clean my chain every few hundred miles or so. Spin the rear wheel by hand (do not allow bike to run in gear while on center stand). I too use Maxima Chain Wax, bought on ebay in bulk. I wax my chain a couple of times between cleanings. Adjusting is easy. Download the Haynes Service Manual. It's available on this website.

Comment

I use kerosene and a brush as well....maybe twice a season. I've had good results with Motul Chain Lube. It works best if you can take the bike for a quick spin to warm up the chain, and then it's simply a spray.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
                  Yeah, I saw that in there, that thing is hardcore damaged...what causes a bad alignment? Like, whoever puts the swing arm on didn't align it properly? Or is it like a car where it's possible to come out of alignment without any parts coming off (but typically doesn't). So since my swing arm was never replaced or taken off (most likely), would I have to worry about it?
                  User error

I was on a two week trip and adjusted it on the side of the road and used the tick marks on the swingarm (which are not always accurate). I may have even screwed up on the tick marks, who knows.

The best advice I've heard about aligning the rear axle is to get it so that the teeth on the rear sprocket ride in the center of the chain (the teeth should be centered between the inner plates of the chain). Or ride a bike with a SSSA

Comment

i use simple green to clean my chain. works great and is biodegradable.

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                      Yeah, I later had a friend with an R1 (most of my other friends drive shaft bikes) and he described the procedure to me...not too complex at all.

I know another guy (older guy) who uses waxes and such and he packs it in there..screw that, too much work..

Though the guy with the R1 said he just uses 90 weight gear oil...said it flings a bit, but nothing major.

it's really not complex.....your best bet is to get some sort of lube spray the **** out of your chain and roll the **** out!!!!!! FTW!!!!!!
                      Yeah, at first glance it seemed worse than it was. Seems quite simple.

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                      I JUST CHANGED OVER TO USING dupont teflon dry wax every few hundred miles on the beemer cause im needing something to do .....My old bikes i use trans fluild to clean then wipe, blow dry , then maxama chain oil .
                      I think I'm going to use the dupont teflon chain lube (not the wax) - I keep hearing the name come up.

Originally posted by Cap N Jones View Post
                      I use kerosene and a soft bristled brush to clean my chain every few hundred miles or so. Spin the rear wheel by hand (do not allow bike to run in gear while on center stand). I too use Maxima Chain Wax, bought on ebay in bulk. I wax my chain a couple of times between cleanings. Adjusting is easy. Download the Haynes Service Manual. It's available on this website.
                      Yeah, the OEM Suzuki owner's manual recommends using kerosene to clean the chain. Given the environment I have to lube this thing in (school parking lot), I have to find something other than kerosene for this..

Yeah, I downloaded the Haynes manual...though I have trouble finding stuff in it...it has some weird organization, making it hard to find ****.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      I use kerosene and a brush as well....maybe twice a season. I've had good results with Motul Chain Lube. It works best if you can take the bike for a quick spin to warm up the chain, and then it's simply a spray.
                      Yeah, the kerosene is a no-go, I'll have to find some other way to clean the chain.

User error

I was on a two week trip and adjusted it on the side of the road and used the tick marks on the swingarm (which are not always accurate). I may have even screwed up on the tick marks, who knows.

The best advice I've heard about aligning the rear axle is to get it so that the teeth on the rear sprocket ride in the center of the chain (the teeth should be centered between the inner plates of the chain). Or ride a bike with a SSSA
                      Sounds like a good idea for verifying alignment.

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
                      I don't particularly care about the environment, too young to.

I just got to find a way (that's not kerosene) to clean the chain.

Think I'm going to go with Dupont teflon chain lube for the lube itself..
                      '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
                        that's a good idea.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Im trying to figure out why you think you need a 5 gallon jug of kerosene? You can get an overpriced little bottle of it intended to be used in oil lamps at walmart. it would be PLENTY.

Simple green works great on everything. Just make sure to rinse it off with water and get it dry quickly and get it oiled quickly because it is...water based.

I've never used this method on a bike but on my roller skate bearings, I clean them with a mixture of simple green and alcohol, no water except for whats in the simple green. The alcohol mixes with the water and makes it dry out faster. Then i rinse them out in brake fluid and wipe off the excess brake fluid with paper towels and let them sit and drip dry from the brake fluid for a while. Maybe i shouldnt be lubing them with brake fluid as it is hydroscopic, but these skates are fast as hell and they're just $20 chinese bearings....

I wouldn't use the brake fluid to lube a chain, but that *is* what makes my skates fast...but the simple green and alcohol works great.

Hell, just get a bottle of vodka and clean your chain with that. Alcohol is a great cleaner.
                          Last edited by phroziac; 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
                            Alcohol is a great cleaner.
                            Alcohol also does a great job of destroying a large variety of rubbers. I would suspect it would do bad things to your o-rings in short order.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              Alcohol also does a great job of destroying a large variety of rubbers. I would suspect it would do bad things to your o-rings in short order.
                              Thanks for that. I sure didn't mean to steer him in the wrong direction. I just didn't realize that. Those skate bearings I mentioned aren't sealed,

But, I did want to get him thinking about alternative ideas. And i think my post is still useful in that regard. I mean, come on, who uses brake fluid to lubricate skate bearings?

I've honestly been using used motor oil on my chain. I'm thinking about switching to 80/90 gear lube when I get home though. Chain sure does stay clean with the used motor oil though. Just cause it's too thin and flings off a lot.

Honestly, the manual says to use motor oil (i think they meant non-used though!), so i dunno..

Comment

Im trying to figure out why you think you need a 5 gallon jug of kerosene? You can get an overpriced little bottle of it intended to be used in oil lamps at walmart. it would be PLENTY.
                                I wasn't aware of this...do they market it as Kerosene or something else?

Simple green works great on everything. Just make sure to rinse it off with water and get it dry quickly and get it oiled quickly because it is...water based.

I've never used this method on a bike but on my roller skate bearings, I clean them with a mixture of simple green and alcohol, no water except for whats in the simple green. The alcohol mixes with the water and makes it dry out faster. Then i rinse them out in brake fluid and wipe off the excess brake fluid with paper towels and let them sit and drip dry from the brake fluid for a while. Maybe i shouldnt be lubing them with brake fluid as it is hydroscopic, but these skates are fast as hell and they're just $20 chinese bearings....

I wouldn't use the brake fluid to lube a chain, but that *is* what makes my skates fast...but the simple green and alcohol works great.

Hell, just get a bottle of vodka and clean your chain with that. Alcohol is a great cleaner.
                                Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                                Yeah, wasn't going to use alcohol on it, wasn't sure what other solvents would be safe for the O rings, so wasn't sure what I could use and what I couldn't. I'll clean it next time I lube, in 500mi.

Thanks for that. I sure didn't mean to steer him in the wrong direction. I just didn't realize that. Those skate bearings I mentioned aren't sealed,

But, I did want to get him thinking about alternative ideas. And i think my post is still useful in that regard. I mean, come on, who uses brake fluid to lubricate skate bearings?

I've honestly been using used motor oil on my chain. I'm thinking about switching to 80/90 gear lube when I get home though. Chain sure does stay clean with the used motor oil though. Just cause it's too thin and flings off a lot.

Honestly, the manual says to use motor oil (i think they meant non-used though!), so i dunno..
                                I've heard people using 90 weight gear lube a few times, to lube, not to clean. It's thick enough that it has little fling (not as good as teflon, but cheaper). I'll have to look into small containers of kerosene?

Why did I automatically think of a 5gal of kerosene? Because I'm from the sticks, where the nearest walmart is 35min away and the nearest mall (that you won't get mugged at) is 1h10m away, and there, that's what gasoline and kerosene come in, 5 gallon jugs. Automatic association, I guess. I'll have to look into that. i hope to clean next time I lube.

-------------------

So the lube went uneventful, I wanted to get a swing arm jack for the chain adjustment but harbor freight was closed, luckily it wasn't as bad as I thought it was getting it on the center so the lube went uneventful, I lubed the **** outta it with that dupont teflon stuff. Going perpendicular to the way the chain rides from O ring to O ring on each individual link while slowly spinning the wheel. Only problem I ran into is it became really hard to tell where I started as it's pretty dry by the time it comes around (**** dries fast) so there's probably a ****-ton of overlap... Went to get dinner right before so I did it while the chain was nice and hot, too, then let it sit overnight .
                                '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Working...
                                X