No announcement yet.
X

Chain Lube Brand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might laugh...but wouldn't some dawn work?

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
      Wd40...
      I've read in numerous places that WD40 will eat the O Rings out over time.

Originally posted by thetable View Post
      I use an old toothbrush if I must scrub, but there are many options for solvents.
      I've read also that solvents are that great either, usually harsh and damage O rings.

I mean I've been using a wire brush on my chains since I was 18, and put 13,000 miles on my KZ chain, almost 20,000 miles on my OEM Katana chain with the ~500 mile lube and scrub......So I am yet to see any damage from this method.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
        I've read in numerous places that WD40 will eat the O Rings out over time.
        As have I, but never seen any definitive proof. I've used it many times in a pinch.

I've read also that solvents are that great either, usually harsh and damage O rings.
        By solvent, I mean one of the dozens meant for cleaning O-ring chains.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I have been using a chain lube called Bel-Ray and it is great. It kind of looks like white lithium grease when it goes on but it doesn't seem to fling off and it doesn't attract much dirt. My chain is due for a good clean, I think I will just use some varsol or something, nylon brush, wipe clean with engine off! And re lube.
          It is my understanding on an o-ring chain, you are not lubing the chain. You are only lubing the o-rings. The lube is sealed inside. You want to preserve the o-rings because they dry out, when the o rings die, then your chain dies. That's how I understand it.
          I lube my chain every tank or 2 of fuel but I only use a tiny amount just to keep the rings moving smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
            So I guess the next question is how do I find out what kind of chain I have..?

I googled images of O ring chains and they all kinda look the same to me as any other standard bike chain...I googled the X ring chains and they look the same as well..what am I missing?
            Badly worn o-ring chain:

The side of the chain at the top of the picture has damaged/missing o-rings between the inner and outer plates, the bottom of the picture shows more intact o-rings. A standard chain does not have these o-rings.

As for the difference between o-ring and x-ring, it's the cross section. If you took an o-ring and cut it, the cross-section would be shaped like an "o". If you do the same to an x-ring chain, the cross-section would be roughly "x" shaped (found an illustration here).

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
            So then what do you wise guys do to get the 'crap' off before you lube...and dont say kerosene because I cant get that any where around here
            Is there an Ace Hardware in your area? That's where I picked up a gallon of kerosene.
            Last edited by paul.miner; 06-03-2010, 10:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
              It is my understanding on an o-ring chain, you are not lubing the chain. You are only lubing the o-rings. The lube is sealed inside. You want to preserve the o-rings because they dry out, when the o rings die, then your chain dies. That's how I understand it.
              You are also lubing the rollers and the roller to sprocket interface.

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
              Badly worn o-ring chain:
              Holy crap man, what the hell did you put that thing through? I've never seen a destroyed to that point.
              Last edited by thetable; 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                Holy crap man, what the hell did you put that thing through? I've never seen a destroyed to that point.
                Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

TLDR: Bad alignment was probably the biggest factor.

Comment

I usually just pull the rear wheel and let about six inches of chain at a time lay in an oil drain tub with about an inch of kero in the bottom. I scrub with a plastic (or nylon I guess) stiff bristled brush until it's nice and clean. I dunno if it matters, but I typically wipe excess kero off the chain before rolling it up toward the front sprocket. Once it's clean I use heavy gear/chain lube and soak the crap out of it. Once it's sat for about half an hour I wipe off the excess. But that's maybe three times a year. Between those I just use a small bottle of Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil. It's clear (less mess) and seems to keep the chain in great shape. 11k and counting on this chain- with minimal wear.
                  Last edited by Free Coffee; 06-20-2010, 01:13 PM.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                  -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

A - I lube at roughly 500 miles yes.

B - The play in the chain is the key. I have a Clymer's and just follow the guides they put into the manual. At every lube I give the chain and rear sprocket a good look over and tighten as necessary.

D - I use this stuff. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm You can pick it up at some auto stores, and Lowes.

Comment

WD40. No problems whatsoever.
                      Last edited by wcj; 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

if you cant get kerosene you can use plain old Diesel from a gas station pump.

but never use gasoline !
                        Last edited by mammut89; 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM.
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Snydacate... I just wanted to point out that your avatar, the Dodge Viper symbol, when turned up side down shows the face of Daffy Duck. If you have a laptop turn your screen upside down and take a look.

And +1 on the chain wax
                          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Never use a wire brush
                            use a plastic bristle brush or tooth brush to clean the chain.

I Use Amsoil HDMP or Maxima chain wax
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I use wax also, just gotta make sure the chain is clean before you use wax lube otherwise it waxes on the dirt. Have also heard its good to lube the chain when its war/hot so the lube soaks down into all the nooks and crannies
                              "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                                Snydacate... I just wanted to point out that your avatar, the Dodge Viper symbol, when turned up side down shows the face of Daffy Duck. If you have a laptop turn your screen upside down and take a look.
                                you're right. how did that get noticed? i use a BG lube i got from our rep. goes on as a foam. does sling off a little though.
                                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                                X