X
X

HOW TO PICK YOUR MOTORCYCLE UP CORRECTLY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I saw this last week, I have a broken fuel cap on my bike so it didn't lock. dropped my bike in my driveway, and had it pouring gas all over me as I he-manned it. shoes wouldn't grip so I had to do it in my socks. lost a gallon or so of fuel, and ruined a pair of socks. Now that was scary.
    Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

• [ame="http://vimeo.com/8048765"]How to pick up a motorcycle on Vimeo[/ame]
      "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
      1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
      2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

• Glad to have learned this...I'm a fairly small girl and never could pick up the Kat as heavy as it is. Fortunately where I live everyone seems to wanna help anytime I've ever dropped it, but I've always wondered what I'd do if it happened out in the middle of nowhere...I think I can manage it this way so yaaay heheh...now I can go ride in the middle of nowhere...or something like that...Just hoping this doesn't happen out there lol.

Cause I do enjoy being in the middle of nowhere...**** aliens...ehehe...
        Last edited by Discord; 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM. Reason: Addition
        ~Aspiring Wrench Wench lol...
        ~The 150 and the Kat...

Comment

• Thanks, this will come in handy tonight when i go to pick up my bike for the first time. Haha

Comment

• Great tip!! Hope I don't need it but you never know when an accident will strike.
            2004 Honda ST1300
            1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

• This is video on how to pick it up.... I on other hand turn into Superman grab the bars and pick her up... After a minute I feel all out of energy and the next day my arms are killing me. So do as the video and not as I would. enjoy!
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og"]HOW TO PICK UP YOUR MOTORCYCLE - FALLEN OR DROPPED BIKE - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• You realize how heavy it is when you have to pick it off its side. Loading it in the back of a truck isnt fun either.

Comment

• Oh man, that's SUPER helpful! Thanks for posting this!

Comment

• good tips

Comment

• Being new to biking this technique surprised me, but is very helpful to know.

Comment

• Not so easy

Originally posted by Absyn-thesis View Post
                        G'day Steves,

This method, though, is tricky with a kat, especially on the left side. The bike lays so flat, it's a bear to get low enough to place my butt on the seat, or to get the bike high enough to use my legs for leverage as indicated in this method. I managed, but it took some creative swearing while sweating in full gear, 80+F in the pouring rain. A bike like the beamer in the pics would be heaps easier--it's already half-way there!

Have you picked up a kat using this method, and did you find the same leverage problem?

Cheers,
                        I've seen it demo'd on Harleys with big crash bars where the bike lies at a 45 degree angle and it makes sense. The Katana lies flat on the ground and so that method doesn't work as well. You still have to He-Man it up to the point where your ass can push from below the seat. If you don't have good traction (like on grass or dirt) it's almost impossible. You're best off asking someone to help you - with two people lifting it's no problem.

Comment

• Philosophy

Half Empty or Half Full, Pick the damn bike up and ride!

Comment

• another great tip from the ibmwr site.

Comment

• Originally posted by KatRoar View Post
                              Half Empty or Half Full, Pick the damn bike up and ride!
                              +1 I have never had any issue picking up my knocked over bike.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• I was able to he-man my '86 Virago 750 easily - which is heavier than my 600 Kat - but had trouble pulling up my Kat the first time I gently dropped it in a parking lot (yeah, that is the most embarrassing thing to do!)

Hopefully won't have to try this anytime in the near future, but this will be the first thing I think of if it does happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X