X

It's Re-Paint time.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Re-Paint time.....

Hey guys, just wondering. I am getting ready to re-paint my bike soon and needed to know if I actually need to take the time to remove all the decals or if I can just sand them off. I am changing the color of my bike from blue to orange. I know that all of the decals are on top of the paint as opposed to the "S" on the tank. It's under the clear coat. Thanks for your input.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

I would remove the decals prior to sanding... otherwise you'll gum up your paper faster. Depending on how old your bike is... look into one of those sticker "erasers" as mentioned in other posts.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      i would remove the decals prior to sanding... Otherwise you'll gum up your paper faster. Depending on how old your bike is... Look into one of those sticker "erasers" as mentioned in other posts.
      +111111
      sigpic
      -Cory-
      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

My bike is a '92. The decals have been on there for a "little" while. Do you think the "erasure" will do the trick??
        'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
        ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
        ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

I agree with previous post, sanding those stickers is going to waste a lot of sandpaper by "gunking" them up.

Comment

+1

And if the current paint is in good shape (meaning bonded well) you don't need to sand it all off - just rough up with the proper grit. If you sand through the stickers it is likely that you will go deeper on the areas adjacent to the sticker. These transition areas will expose the layers underneath in a bulls-eye fashion and will need some extra attention when applying the primer.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

use a hair-dryer to heat up the stickers a bit before peeling...it will usually help soften the adhesive behind them...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                use a hair-dryer to heat up the stickers a bit before peeling...it will usually help soften the adhesive behind them...
                Ditto hairdryer or a heat gun are your friends.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Gytrdunkat has an excellent post on the sticker removal tool he found.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the eraser tool will take the sticker and paint down to the plastic off with it. A heat gun and razor blade is the best way to do it. When I painted my tank I left the suzuki sticker under the paint and painted over it, then went back with an airbrush and kinda shadowed where you could see it...now its really 3d looking.
                    My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

Comment

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
                      the eraser tool will take the sticker and paint down to the plastic off with it. A heat gun and razor blade is the best way to do it. When I painted my tank I left the suzuki sticker under the paint and painted over it, then went back with an airbrush and kinda shadowed where you could see it...now its really 3d looking.
                      i would like to see a pic of that, i was thinking of doing something like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X