2008 Rally Fontana Dam, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Oregonblowboy
Skid Mark

Default Need info please

Does anyone out there know if there is a way to bypass a signal generator....I heard you could do it with a 5 prong relay.....
Oregonblowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #2
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

No, itís actually a dual trigger magnetic switch. Well not actually a switch per say, more like a dual voltage pulse generator (1v), Triggers two different coils one at a time.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-16-2018 at 01:03 AM..
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Oregonblowboy
Skid Mark

Thank you for your reply....the guy that had it before, didn't have a key so he broke open the housing and hand the plastic wired shut so I got a key and switch today I think that may be the reason for weak spark .....NO RESISTANCE... YOU'RE THOUGHTS ON THAT ???
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
92xjunker
Supporting Member

Check the 12v source to the coils while cranking. Should be 11v+ for a good spark. Common problem on the katana is to loose some voltage going to the coils. In that event, a good cleaning of the wire connections in the loom is due. Having a rigged ignition isnít helping matters.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:48 AM   #5
Oregonblowboy
Skid Mark

The "loom"???????? What is that???
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonblowboy View Post
The "loom"???????? What is that???
The grouping of the wires is called a "wiring loom"... referencing all electrical. clean the connections, verify no damage from heat, plugs are connecting tightly, use dielectric grease.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Oregonblowboy
Skid Mark

Thanks ,. Your very knowledgeable. So I ask you this I have tested everything COIL, primary & secondary, signal generator, I even created a complete ground circle .. battery to motor to frame to battery.new plugs new coils, still now new ignition switch and still no start...I have in the harness near the back of tank on the left and the Right a pair of two prong female plugs that appear to go to nothing there is know unacupied males to be found and on the front right about equal dissent of the coils a sixprong rectangular female that has know lost male...any thoughts.
..I feel like I'm taking up your time but. .I'm just at that point .. well I have a stick of dynamite......lolol
Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
92xjunker
Supporting Member

Colors of the wires? The manual has a diagram to check those. 1 plug is most likely for the euro carb heaters.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

If you are having no spark issues, first question I need to check...

Do you have a 1998-2006 model bike, and if yes... has the ignition switch ever been switched or modified?

Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:19 AM   #10
Oregonblowboy
Skid Mark

Wire are red black and black on both sides these are the two just behind gas tank....yes the ignition is new no not OEM...SO I PUT A 150 OHM RESISTOR BETWEEN THE ORANGE AND THE WHITE YELLOW STRIP

Can I jump a little light bulb on the pulse generator to see if it is sending a signal to the CDI?

Last edited by Oregonblowboy; 04-21-2018 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics