Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Repack or switch to Stock to pass inspection?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repack or switch to Stock to pass inspection?

I tried taking the bike through inspection today in Delaware, and they said the exhaust is too loud. It is a Vance & Hines exhaust the previous owner installed. Will a re-pack of the exhaust make much sound difference? Or should I just try to find a stock pipe to swap on for inspection?
    1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

id try finding a stock pipe, i dont think repacking it will do much difference but i could be wrong tho. just mi .02 cents, more advice will come. . .

Comment

Either find a baffle for it or swap it out for the stock one before you take it for inspection.

Tok

Comment

Originally posted by ottoguy View Post
        I tried taking the bike through inspection today in Delaware, and they said the exhaust is too loud. It is a Vance & Hines exhaust the previous owner installed. Will a re-pack of the exhaust make much sound difference? Or should I just try to find a stock pipe to swap on for inspection?
        Buy and keep a stock pipe for a few reasons.
        1. They are cheap, and easy to find.
        2. Swap when needing an inspection.
        3. Swap if you ever sell the bike and sell the aftermarket can seperately
        4. Once in a while you might want to go for a long long ride and would prefer to reduce all the noise you can...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Definitely repack even if you end up getting a stock can to get through inspection. I had a V&H StreetComp on a previous bike and it made a huge difference not only in noise level but also carburation. I always knew when it was time to repack because I'd start backfiring every time I chopped the throttle.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Anyone have a stock exhaust for a Pre 600? I looked on e-bay and the classifieds but don't see any at the moment.

Comment

i had tha same problem with my rear marker lights, and like 2 other things. they said they were illegal. i just found another shop to take it to, and they passed me.
              try taking it to another shop, maybe cheaper than changing stuff on ur bike..
              << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
              KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

Unfortunately Delaware doesn't do inspection in local shops. There are 4 state run inspection lanes that you can go to.

I used to have a shop in PA that would let me slide on things, but Delaware isn't so easy.

Comment

Lol inspection.

I say buy a stocker AND re pack the V+H. You'll have a pipe for inspection and then you can put the good sounding V+H on when you're done.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

+1
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That doesn't look too bad. I have a friend who had a bike shop so he has a few old exhausts around. I think I'm going to try to fab one of them up to get through inspection then I will have time to get a cheap stock one for next time.

On the re-pack side. Is there any prefered packing brand? I see a couple out there that range from $8 a pack to $30

Comment

Working...
                      X