X

gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gloves

will gloves keep my hands from going to sleep after long rides?

Not really, however they can prolong the feeling. Changing your grips can help the process as well.
    Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

Loosening your death grip will help....
      Giving your hands a break is a big plus, alternate which one is holding the bars....Throttle enhancements make long trips better too.

Comment

Good gloves and a good seat of grips can help alot. Definately keep a firm but soft grip on the handlebars while your riding which will help alot too.

Comment

I find that wearing good gloves makes a big difference in helping my hands from getting numb. I have gel grips and new barends, but I've yet to buy an impact driver to get the old barends off . Gotta get on top of that... Also, as everyone says, a loose grip on the bars helps a great deal. The gloves do make a big difference though IMO.
          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I was THIS close to getting an impact wrench..but after alot of cursing, a couple drinks.. a BIG screw driver and a hammer I was able to get my stock bar ends off. Go ahead, you can do it

Comment

Some people swear by gel palm gloves for helping reduce hand fatigue and numbness. Personally I notice much more of an improvement when I loosened my grip and support myself with my back instead of leaning on my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                Some people swear by gel palm gloves for helping reduce hand fatigue and numbness. Personally I notice much more of an improvement when I loosened my grip and support myself with my back instead of leaning on my hands.
                Thats a good point bro, learn to keep good posture while your riding and dont allow so much weight to rest on wrists and hands. use your entire body to support yourself and once you get used it, it will be second nature.

Comment

Re: gloves

Originally posted by liverquiver52
                  will gloves keep my hands from going to sleep after long rides?
                  No, but there's a good chance that gloves will keep your hands from disappearing if you crash!

You could try heavier bar ends to reduce the amount of vibration that your hands receive during the ride though.....You can get some really nice ones through throttlemeister....I ordered a replacement for my left side from them, and it was about $20 or so..nothing crazy. They also have polished versions, I think!
                  FrankenKat 1216
                  GS Fiter 816
                  GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Any brand better than another?

Comment

I don't know if its psychological or what, but I seem to think that on longer rides I have less numbess and fatigue in my hands if I'm wearing gloves, but I try to prevent/correct the issue just by switching hands and changing my postion on the saddle.
                      05 GSX-600
                      89 zx750r
                      04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

I pretty much agree with above; constant little shifts without losing control or grip is key. It's more about your hands a little busy rather than leaving them constantly in one position. The Bar End Weight makes a HUGE difference on long rides.

Comment

Hey Liver, I'm new at riding and what I found that helped me the most was buying a pair of gloves that were precurved. I had a problem with the "death grip" and when I bought some gloves that had a finger curve built into them, it would remind me to losen my grip and gave me more of a natural hand position. After that I have to be riding a long time to get any kind of discomfort.

Just my 2 cents.
                          "Stupid is as stupid does" - Forset Gumps Mama

Comment

By accident I ran into something that might help hands from going asleep. I've been losing weight and my XL gloves were way too big, and I thought these Joe Rocket medium sized mesh gloves might be better. I found they were too tight, but they also don't make my hands go to sleep! I wonder if the pressure of the glove being a tad small might make a difference.
                            MikeG
                            Central Oregon
                            2006 Suzuki GSX600F
                            (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

Working...
                            X