Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

help fitting an 98 katana gas tank to my 05?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help fitting an 98 katana gas tank to my 05?

My 05 katana (cali model) had a dent in the tank so I baught another gas tank off ebay. Its off an 98. Physically the same tank, everything mounts up beautifully but there is an extra port/prong on the bottom of my 05's tank that the 98 tank doesn't have. I know what the 3 hoses do, fuel suply, vacuum and overfill drain but I'm stumped at the 4th hose which I dont know what to connect to.

The port on the old 05 tank has a hose connected to it which goes to this canister on the right side of the bike. The canister has several hoses going to the carb.

What is this canister? Emission maybe? and since my 98 tank doesnt have that extra port what am I supposed to do with the hose coming off the canister? Can I plug it? Do i just leave it not connected to it? Will fuel come out of it? Is it for vacuum? Do I tee it into any of the other 3 hoses?

Just need to mount this tank on my bike asap I can go out riding my kat again!

Any help appreciate it. Thanks!!
    oh no .. its mr. bill

its probably emissions related

look up the diagrams on ronayers and it should tell you what each part is.

I dont have any expereince with the cali models.

Comment

its a cali emissions control. dont know much about it though. might ask cyber poet about it
      your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

yeah, certainly some EPA stuff, if you leave it unplugged it should be fine.

Comment

so you guys don't think that anything will be coming out of it...

Should I plug it up?
          oh no .. its mr. bill

Comment

OK, in simplest terms:

The California models have a PAIR valve system, designed to suck vapors out from under the pistons as they fall and redeliver those vapors into the intake passages to reburn. It also has a fuel-recovery system that captures fuel vapors when the bike is off and stores them in a charcoal cannister, to be re-pulled into the intake at time of start up.

To use a 49-state gas tank, you will need to obsolete the pollution control system, including the PAIR valve. To do this, you need 4 blocking plates for the lines coming out below each exhaust header (that feed their output to the Pair valve), and a length of fresh vacuum line to run from the #4 (right-most) carb to the petcock (on the left side).
            Once you have these items, you can unbolt all the California pollution control items, bolt on the blocking plates, and replace the current line that runs from the #4 carb to a T-fitting and then on to the petcock (which the straight hose, eliminating the T-fitting and all the plumbing it leads to).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok, thats seems like alot more work then I'de wanna do.

What would happens say if I left everything as is, charcole canister and all, and just were to tee that mistery hose into the overfill drain hose? So if anything would come out of it it would dump it on the ground. would I get a significant amount of fuel loss?
              oh no .. its mr. bill

Comment

What you're missing is that the PAIR Valve assembly (and it's separate air filter) fits into a notch that doesn't exist on the 49-state gas tank -- the notch is only on the California tank.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by RU KATANA
                  What would happens say if I left everything as is, charcole canister and all, and just were to tee that mistery hose into the overfill drain hose? So if anything would come out of it it would dump it on the ground. would I get a significant amount of fuel loss?
                  oh no .. its mr. bill

Comment

THE TANK WOULDN'T PHYSICALLY FIT BECAUSE OF THE PAIR VALVE. PERIOD.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X