X

Feathering Front Tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feathering Front Tire

Hey all. I have a 97 Kat (well sorta) and I noticed that the front tire is starting to feather as it wears. (back tire has normal wear) At first I thought that I may not have aligned the rear tire properly when adjusting the chain but, it is feathering in the same direction on both sides of the tire. It is not bad but enough to see. Any ideas? Is this a normal wear pattern? Thanks for your time. Have a great day.

if it is cupping, using incorrect tire pressure, bad road conditions and just some tires are just prone to doing it no matter what.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
      if it is cupping, using incorrect tire pressure, bad road conditions and just some tires are just prone to doing it no matter what.
      Thank you for your input. I do check the pressure regularly. I was hoping it may be that some tires just do it. Take care.

Comment

got the same thing going on with my front bridgestone battleaxe
        pressure has always been correct
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

might need to ask the company that makes your tire what pressures they recommend with your riding weight of you and what bike it is on.

i had dunlops 205 on the kat and that crappy tire cupped quick. gave me a good excuse to get rid of them. just horrible tire

i had Michelin Hi Sport (tx15 front & tx25 rear) and they were just crappy tires as well. but they were stock on my 919.

also could be old tires.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            That is the tire that's on my Kat.

might need to ask the company that makes your tire what pressures they recommend with your riding weight of you and what bike it is on.

i had dunlops 205 on the kat and that crappy tire cupped quick. gave me a good excuse to get rid of them. just horrible tire

i had Michelin Hi Sport (tx15 front & tx25 rear) and they were just crappy tires as well. but they were stock on my 919.

also could be old tires.
            The tires were on the bike when I bought it last year, so the history of the tires is unknown.
            Last edited by mrwhipper; 05-31-2009, 09:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My last tire did the same. But as above it was like that from the previous owner. So Im not sure how it occured.

Comment

Age will play a big part.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by mrwhipper View Post
                  The tires were on the bike when I bought it last year, so the history of the tires is unknown.
                  motorcycle tires i think have dates they were produced like car tires. should be a 4 digits. first two is week of the year, last is year produced. think that is how it goes.

if the tires came on the bike, then can't make any guesses on how they were treated before you got to it. previous owner could not have taken care of the tires very well.

Comment

motorcycle tires i think have dates they were produced like car tires. should be a 4 digits. first two is week of the year, last is year produced. think that is how it goes.

if the tires came on the bike, then can't make any guesses on how they were treated before you got to it.

previous owner could not have taken care of the tires very well.
                    I'm not sure what this means...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                      Try putting in a few more Lbs of air than you usually have them at.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

I'm not sure what this means...

Krey
                        mrwhipper stated the battleaxes were on the bike when he bought it. hard to say if by some chance the previous owner didn't maintain the correct psi all the time, or road extremely rough roads, over heated the tires, got solvents on them, etc

Comment

I might up the pressure a couple pounds as well as inspecting front end components (wheel bearings, head bearings, fork seals) for wear.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Could also be a balance issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                              Could also be a balance issue.
                              Ahhh.... Good point. I don't feel anything but that doesn't mean it's not out.

Comment

Working...
                              X